Origins of V11 colloquial nomenclature

docc

Respectful names, Egli  Vincent and. and. What’s that motorcaractur like ? Never had the pleasure, anybody?

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

From non-Guzzi Clan folks: "They still make Moto Guzzis?"

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:06 PM, Pressureangle said:

Aermacchi-CRTT-Frame-Render.jpg

Tony Foale was (is) a mad scientist racing Aermacchi, which all had from '61 until '73 a single-tube frame which looks and mounts *very* much like the MG 'spine' frame. Lightweight and apparently sufficiently rigid torsionally- but it's plain if you've watched the '95 BEARS Raceco bike weaving and wobbling everywhere staying in front of the Brittens that the limits were found. The term 'frame backbone' goes back farther than I can remember.

I remember racing against Pete Johnson on a Raceco Guzzi in the AHRMA BEARS and Twins series. I don't think it was "the" Raceco Guzzi. As I recall the two Guzzi's Pete Johnson raced in AHRMA BEARS and Twins were not spine frame bikes. I believe they were based on LeMans chassis'. But they were fast. As I recall, Manfred Hecht was the guy tuning the Guzzi's for Pete. But I don't think they liked us and our Ducati much.

While everything has limits, you could likely extend the limits of the spine frame simply by making the spine larger. Another thing that would improve it is making the spine round instead of making it out of a rectangle. Or an idea I have played with in my head is to use a pair of round tubes one above the other going back to a larger diameter tube above the swingarm pivot.

40 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

I remember racing against Pete Johnson on a Raceco Guzzi in the AHRMA BEARS and Twins series. I don't think it was "the" Raceco Guzzi. As I recall the two Guzzi's Pete Johnson raced in AHRMA BEARS and Twins were not spine frame bikes. I believe they were based on LeMans chassis'. But they were fast. As I recall, Manfred Hecht was the guy tuning the Guzzi's for Pete. But I don't think they liked us and our Ducati much.

While everything has limits, you could likely extend the limits of the spine frame simply by making the spine larger. Another thing that would improve it is making the spine round instead of making it out of a rectangle. Or an idea I have played with in my head is to use a pair of round tubes one above the other going back to a larger diameter tube above the swingarm pivot.

If the engineers spent the time to design a spine via FEA as they have with perimeter frames and swingarms I'm certain it would be magnificent; the problem is it would only be applicable to Moto Guzzi, I think. 

20 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

If the engineers spent the time to design a spine via FEA as they have with perimeter frames and swingarms I'm certain it would be magnificent; the problem is it would only be applicable to Moto Guzzi, I think. 

Yeah, the sideways V2 really suits the spine frame design more than other engine configurations. Not only that, but it seems like the spine frame suits the sideways engine layout better than pretty much any other option. But it does not suit other engine layouts as well. So it isn't likely anyone else would develop the design. And Guzzi seems to have lost interest in it. But you never know. I do think there is much more potential there.

If I live long enough to retire, one of my hopes is to build my own spine frame Guzzi. I think that would be fun.

• Like 1