Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls

FreyZI

On 9/1/2021 at 6:20 PM, VtwinStorm said:

I'm now a GUZZI owner!

Now, I need a damned seat cowl!

So, I "need" a seat cowl, too.  My Tenni came to me very well appointed in CF:  front mudguard, gauges mount, fuel tank chin rest, alternator cover, side panels, hugger, and seat cowl.  The only problem is that every piece of the CF is matte finish EXCEPT the seat cowl, which is high gloss.  This bothers me immensely.  Also bothersome, one of the POs turned the bolts too tight and cracked the cowl a bit; and there's a few other chips in the clear.  I would like to source a matte CF cowl, but I'm guessing that's unobtainium.  How many of us do yinz suppose it would take to make it affordable to get some made up for us?  Seems a pretty easy job (for someone with the knowledge, skills, and tools, that is) -- one small piece, no corners, two holes.  May have to start a new thread on this....

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, FreyZI said:

So, I "need" a seat cowl, too.  My Tenni came to me very well appointed in CF:  front mudguard, gauges mount, fuel tank chin rest, alternator cover, side panels, hugger, and seat cowl.  The only problem is that every piece of the CF is matte finish EXCEPT the seat cowl, which is high gloss.  This bothers me immensely.  Also bothersome, one of the POs turned the bolts too tight and cracked the cowl a bit; and there's a few other chips in the clear.  I would like to source a matte CF cowl, but I'm guessing that's unobtainium.  How many of us do yinz suppose it would take to make it affordable to get some made up for us?  Seems a pretty easy job (for someone with the knowledge, skills, and tools, that is) -- one small piece, no corners, two holes.  May have to start a new thread on this....

Thoughts?

Yep: new thread . . .

4 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Thoughts?

This is a no brainer seriously. Repair the cracking with some fibreglass repair kit if it's minor and possible on the back of the cowl. So a fibreglass repair patch to regain it's strength and fill any slight issues on the visible face with the glass resin and the sand it back with wet and dry carefully. For the matching matt finish buy a can of matt clear 2 pack and spray it. Quality carbon will always have a clear coat to protect the resin from the sun and all the differences are is if it's clear or gloss matt. I've done several carbon repairs this way and even patched carbon parts with carbon cloth scraps.

I bought a set of carbon side covers from a member here and he had cut out a keyhole section of the L/H cover for a rear shock reservoir hose. I repaired it with some fibreglass resin and some scrap Carbon cloth I have laying around. I just put a patch on the back of the panel and let it dry then cut out a couple of keyhole shaped piece of carbo matt and resined it in place to fill the cut out and level it up. I didn't even bother with getting it perfectly flat with resin and sanding it back and shooting a bit of clear over it as it was so good I didn't bother. I've taken an image in the worst possible light and angle to show the repair and then a general shot of what you'd see from a foot away fitted to the bike. 99% of people wouldn't even spot it when fitted unless I pointed it out. Another hour of messing about and it would be nigh on a perfect repair. Almost no skill required and a $12 fibreglass repair kit and some give away carbon matt offcuts.

DSC01513.JPG

DSC01514.JPG

DSC01516.JPG

Ciao  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good info on repairs. 

The question remains about having carbon parts manufactured. I'v noticed that quite a few members have acquired bikes with no seat cowl, and they spend a while trying to find one - and they are sometimes pricey. A CF unit would be a nice aesthetic upgrade for some - and a paint-to-match part for others. And while we're thinking about manufacturing CF parts, the other one that might be worth looking into is the tank pad. The Scura and I think a few other models had a carbon part on top of the tank, where most models had a molded foam/rubber part that is NLA. You'd also need to get some little mounting brackets with the CF tank pad.

• Like 2

If a source was found for seat cowls, carbon fiber or otherwise, I would be interested in buying one if they weren't too dear. I fitted a V11 rear section including seat to my Daytona and it lacks the seat cowl. The wife has a seat cowl for her V11, just a plain jane one painted to match the silver. I would love to find one for the Daytona and its V11 seat.

32 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

http://www.fastguzzi.nl/

Look under V11 parts. Contact Paul he may still make them.

Ciao

Nice! Those look like complete "tail section" or "rear fairing."  I was thinking @FreyZI was talking about the small cover for the passenger pillion cover (with the "bum-stop"/ "seat cushion" pad attached)?

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Nice! Those look like complete "tail section" or "rear fairing."  I was thinking @FreyZI was talking about the small cover for the passenger pillion cover (with the "bum-stop" pad attached)?

Yea I know docc but thats all I got:huh2:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

That pillion cover is hard to search for because of the color variations. 1999-2001 has four part numbers to cover the four available colors for the Sport and Rosso Mandello. Not sure how many more colors were produced 2002-2005 . . .

1 hour ago, docc said:

I was thinking @FreyZI was talking about the small cover for the passenger pillion cover (with the "bum-stop"/ "seat cushion" pad attached)?

Correct -- just the pillion cover.  I have far too little time and comparatively more disposable income to start messing around with this as a DIY job.

Incidentally, maybe this hump is due for v11lemans.com nomenclature.

@docc: Yeah, that supposed windshield/flyscreen on ebay is clearly the seat lid.  For a mere $200, you also get the sticker of Manneken Pis.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

Correct -- just the pillion cover.  I have far too little time and comparatively more disposable income to start messing around with this as a DIY job.

Incidentally, maybe this hump is due for v11lemans.com nomenclature.

@docc: Yeah, that supposed windshield/flyscreen on ebay is clearly the seat lid.  For a mere $200, you also get the sticker of Manneken Pis.

Don't have around 1 hour total spare time to invest? That's all it takes in total spread over 2 or 3 events.

Ciao 

39 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Don't have around 1 hour total spare time to invest? That's all it takes in total spread over 2 or 3 events.

Gotta choose my battles, Phil.  This one, I'd rather pay someone to git er done.  If there's a critical mass of us that want these, maybe we can get the price per unit to a reasonable number.

If it's prohibitively expensive, then yes, I'll give it a shot.  Or, repair and matte clear, per your suggestion, above.

Thanks!