Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls

FreyZI

23 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

I'm in on a seat hump if at least 5 others are on board.  If we get that far, I'd need to know weave and finish choices.  Likewise, @docc, may be worth putting out an APB calling all C/F parts wanters.

Cheers,

Frey

Pretty sure this thread serves as a call-out to those interested. The title can be changed to reflect the availability change. How about "Sign up for carbon fiber seat cover?" Then, I can mark your post, above, as the "answer" to direct folks to the details. Use this thread for a running list of interested parties?

I have always made it policy to support every one of these enthusiast efforts that involve our V11. Count me in for a humper-bumper. :rolleyes:

That makes two.  :bier:

• docc changed the title to Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls
7 minutes ago, docc said:

Pretty sure this thread serves as a call-out to those interested. The title can be changed to reflect the availability change. How about "Sign up for carbon fiber seat cover?" Then, I can mark your post, above, as the "answer" to direct folks to the details. Use this thread for a running list of interested parties?

I have always made it policy to support every one of these enthusiast efforts that involve our V11. Count me in for a humper-bumper. :rolleyes:

That makes two.  :bier:

I'd be interested in a seat cover but any I'd need to see some examples of the quality of their work. Any chance of some detailed images of the stuff they do? The side covers will need separate moulds for each side.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

The website is http://www.riggeals.com/products/custom-work/

Obviously, I'll take a look at the prototype before pulling the trigger.

Incidentally, my "humper bumper" has a fibreglass backing.  Seems that's a good idea for durability of that part.  I didn't get that far with Greg, yet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Count me in on a carbon fiber seat cover. :thumbsup::mg:

That's three (in the first hour)!

I forgot to suggest the the nomenclature "booty lid." I hope it's not too late to submit nominations. :whistle:

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Dropped some parts off at Riggeals this weekend.  I took him my matte side panel (to match), my gloss hump, and an OEM hump.  

Here's the quote:

C/F seat hump:

Prototyping and mold = $550; each hump = $130.  If 6 of us want humps, we're at ~220.  If we can get a few more folks involved, we can get the price under $200 per item.

Just in case anyone is interested, C/F side covers:

Prototyping and mold $710; each unit $110.  I didn't ask, so I don't know if the mold for the other side could be easily (cheaply) fabricated (assuming L and R are symmetrical).

Possible we could get a discount if there are other parts Guzzisti on the motha of all V11 forums want made in batches (tank chin pad, fenders, etc.)

We're looking at 3 months for wait and manufacture.  We'd own the molds.

I'm in on a seat hump if at least 5 others are on board.  If we get that far, I'd need to know weave and finish choices.  Likewise, @docc, may be worth putting out an APB calling all C/F parts wanters.

Cheers,

Frey

Count me in for one.

As I would probably paint it I am not super concerned with how it looks, only that it fits well.

• Like 1

FWIW, Bruno at G-B is really nice and easy to do business with. I bought one of his rear mudguards and the CF is nice.
Btw, what is a wave disc?

I like my green booty lid, but it’s good to know that there could be spares, like this CF venture, available.
I have been thinking how cool a belly pan would look on the bike.

Once a manufacturer creates the mold, can they easy create the parts in fiberglass as well CF? This may be a good option for parts to be painted. Do we have correct paint codes to match the green paint and other colors for those who need parts painted?

Just curious; all the seat cowls have the exact same fitting among the V11 models and years of production?

What about the holes spacing to attach the cowl to the seat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

FWIW, Bruno at G-B is really nice and easy to do business with. I bought one of his rear mudguards and the CF is nice.
Btw, what is a wave disc?

I like my green booty lid, but it’s good to know that there could be spares, like this CF venture, available.
I have been thinking how cool a belly pan would look on the bike.

Once a manufacturer creates the mold, can they easy create the parts in fiberglass as well CF? This may be a good option for parts to be painted. Do we have correct paint codes to match the green paint and other colors for those who need parts painted?

A Wave disc is typically a brake disc that isn't round, it has a wavy shape to it is a basically round shape but not round.

Galfer Floating Wave Brake Rotor - Front

It does much the same as discs with slots or drilled holes. It is supposed to increase cooling surface and it allows for the pad contact area to vent.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Once a manufacturer creates the mold, can they easy create the parts in fiberglass as well CF? This may be a good option for parts to be painted.

My assumption is that the mold can be used for whatever fabric is desired, be it carbon, kevlar, or fiberglass.  There are a couple color options, too (red, orange, and blue), and I'd be checking out the red if I weren't trying to match the C/F on the Tenni.  Here's a pic of the red kevlar weave with C/F.

Color-Carbon-Red-Black.jpg

I imagine there would be some slight upcharge for colored humps. And maybe glass is less.

I've seen a used OEM hump on eBay for $200.  Prototyping the mold is going to cost $550.  The more Guzzisti on board now, the more of us there are to share around that initial cost.  If a few more people jump on this wagon, we can get C/F humps for less than $200 a piece.  People who come to the party late will be insulted and subjected to indignities.  :angry::bbblll::angry2:.  This forum has a collective engineering and fabrication tradition to uphold.

One note:  This part will not include the "rump bumper" -- that is the little vertical pad element.  On the Tenni, the rump bumper is a little different, being covered in the so-called suede (which should, AFAIK, actually be called "rough-out" leather).  The non-Tenni rump bumper is black injection-molded rubber.  I don't know how hard it would be to get rubber rump bumpers made.  I plan to cut something to size and cover it with black marine PU to match the seat, stapled on the back.

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, p6x said:

Just curious; all the seat cowls have the exact same fitting among the V11 models and years of production?

What about the holes spacing to attach the cowl to the seat?

@p6x, AFAIK, the passenger seat cover is the same fitment and same mounting across the entire V11 range.

Perhaps those of you who have, or have had, various V11 can confirm?

[As of this post, 24 hours after @FreyZI posted the offer to sign up, I count four of us:

FreyZI, docc, Joe, and GuzziMoto with Lucky Phil waiting in the wings with his usual cautious circumspection. :nerd: ]

38 minutes ago, docc said:

@p6x, AFAIK, the passenger seat cover is the same fitment and same mounting across the entire V11 range.

Perhaps those of you who have, or have had, various V11 can confirm?

[As of this post, 24 hours after @FreyZI posted the offer to sign up, I count four of us:

FreyZI, docc, Joe, and GuzziMoto with Lucky Phil waiting in the wings with his usual cautious circumspection. :nerd: ]

I had better pass esp considering there is still no USPS postage available and other methods are outrageously expensive.

Ciao

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I had better pass esp considering there is still no USPS postage available and other methods are outrageously expensive.

Ciao

I know this will be off topic and borderline decorum, but my Caruso gears were dropped at a Royal Post Office in the heart of England (Leicestershire) Thursday last and was processed through our USPS, New York, before midnight last night (3 days). Don't get me wrong, our USPS could fumble it around mightily from here, but it is in country and likely to be in my hands, from the UK, in about a week.

AUS is not receiving parcels from the USA? :wacko: