Riding Breeches / Riding Jeans?

I have a couple of pair of overpants that I wear on longer trips, otherwise I just wear jeans. I've been looking to get some riding jeans. Something that's comfortable but offering more protection than regular jeans.

The other day, I noticed a fellow rider was wearing some cargo pants that looked like protective gear and a good match to a textile riding jacket. He told me they were 5.11 Motor Cop breeches. I was thinking that motor cop gear might be good for comfort, convenience and protection. I discovered that 5.11 has discontinued the cargo style but have a replacement motorcop pants for $130. These have caught my eye, except for the cost. I can try on 5.11 pants at the local store for fit and order the motorcop pants. (For some reason they call these "Tactical" pants; I have to wonder if my boxers are "Strategic"?)

So I'm interested to purchase riding jeans, motor cop pants, etc., etc. I know very little about cop stuff. I'm reluctant to order riding jeans without knowing the fit and quality.

Any recommendations?

Hopefully, we can share enough info that this might be helpful to others on the board. I'd never considered motorcop stuff but it seems to make sense.

I have owned most every major brand riding jeans...imo the best in fit and protection by FAR   are  KLIM K42.......

• Like 2
16 hours ago, docc said:

Very svelte. But no armor?

Some have no armor but reinforcements and others do or have pockets for it optionally. 

I'm on the fence about that as well.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Some have no armor but reinforcements and others do or have pockets for it optionally. 

I'm on the fence about that as well.  

The the Klim K42's  have great armor in the knees and shins and removable hip armor as well and the jeans are kevlar.. And what I like is that they arent bulky and clunky looking like most armored jeans 

Klim K Forty 2 Straight Stretch Riding Jeans

Blending road-ready protection with off-bike casual comfort, the K Forty 2 is a well balanced everyday riding jean. Bridging the gap between lightweight comfort-focused jeans and Kevlar protection-focused jeans, the K Forty 2 is built to compliment your motorcycle lifestyle. From your commute, to the office, to the garage, a weekend ride or a night downtown, the K Forty 2 has all your bases covered.

Features:

• Straight cut fit
  • 5-pocket style jeans
  • 13oz abrasion/cut resistant stretch denim
  • Partial front leg mesh lining
  • D3O IP Ghost CE level 1 vented ultra slim knee/hip armor
  • Knee armor is adjustable / all armor is removable
  • Hidden reflective bottom hem
  • Subdued leather branding
  • Riveted construction w/ zip fly
  • Stretch gusseted crotch area
  • CE AA rating certified to EN 17092-3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks KD.  I think the 42 might be out of my budget, I did see that Klin Outrider are on closeout.  They seem pretty good.  I've heard good things about Klin.

• Like 1

I wore 5:11 60/40 for 3 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Though in hot weather I wore the lighter weight 100% poly, I wore the 60/40 any time the temp was below about 80*F. They're tough as nails, very comfortable (after a couple wear/wash cycles) and look nice. BUT they are *not* crashwear. Polyester gets hot when abraded, and will melt and stick to your skin in a slide. So yeah, durability while riding is good, and temperature control is good, but I don't want to crash in them. I'd rather have a set of traditional Wrangler or Levi denims. 
All that said, I've been looking for a couple years for and at riding pants, and still haven't bought anything. I ride in jeans or Aerostitch. If I lived in a cooler climate, I'd consider armored leather. Meh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Thanks KD.  I think the 42 might be out of my budget, I did see that Klin Outrider are on closeout.  They seem pretty good.  I've heard good things about Klin.

They were out of my normal budget as well , but now, over the past 2 years since  I seem to prefer wear them the majority of the time when I ride I don't feel to bad about it ..I hate when I fork out the money and then they just sit in the closet.

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

I wore 5:11 60/40 for 3 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Though in hot weather I wore the lighter weight 100% poly, I wore the 60/40 any time the temp was below about 80*F. They're tough as nails, very comfortable (after a couple wear/wash cycles) and look nice. BUT they are *not* crashwear. Polyester gets hot when abraded, and will melt and stick to your skin in a slide. So yeah, durability while riding is good, and temperature control is good, but I don't want to crash in them. I'd rather have a set of traditional Wrangler or Levi denims. 
All that said, I've been looking for a couple years for and at riding pants, and still haven't bought anything. I ride in jeans or Aerostitch. If I lived in a cooler climate, I'd consider armored leather. Meh.

Thanks for all the input.  I'll look around.

PA, The 5.11 version I posted were specific Motorcop wear.  I'll look into your point whether these are poly.  

The Klims that I listed are in my size, the Aerostitch aren't.  Have to look at the Diamonds. 

I've posted this on three different forums, this is by far the best feedback.  On another Guzzi forum it was so contentious that it had to be deleted.  And on a Duc forum I got no input.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
27 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I've posted this on three different forums, this is by far the best feedback.  On another Guzzi forum it was so contentious that it had to be deleted.  

Been there, done that. I don't have much to say anymore, MG forums are the least agreeable of any I inhabit. Which is odd since it's so opposite my real-life experience.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
17 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Been there, done that. I don't have much to say anymore, MG forums are the least agreeable of any I inhabit. Which is odd since it's so opposite my real-life experience.

That's because were all old and are always right.................  :lol:

• Haha 1