Help with 1100 sport

red lion

My 1997 1100 sport ran fine. Then I installed a sprint air filter and Mistral exhaust, Now the bike runs like crap. Could I have a problem with one of the connections under the gas tank when I installed the air filter?

1 hour ago, red lion said:

My 1997 1100 sport ran fine. Then I installed a sprint air filter and Mistral exhaust, Now the bike runs like crap. Could I have a problem with one of the connections under the gas tank when I installed the air filter?

This is the injected 1100 Sport, yes?

9 minutes ago, red lion said:

yes injected

So, sure, if one of the sensors did not get plugged back in: trouble. I am not sure what that air filter is, and your Guzzi has a different ECU than the V11, but seems a proper tune-up is worth performing (valve adjustment, plugs, TPS setting, throttle body balance, etc . . .)?

Does the "sprint air filter" eliminate the airbox?

I'll check the sensors. The sprint air filter is like a k&n. TPS is spot on 156.5MV. Throttle bodies look to be balanced on the carb mate but any adjustments do not help

• Like 1

I was thinking if the ambient air temperature sensor in the airbox got disconnected it sets an undesirable default.

I've got a Magni with 1100 sporti engine so it's a bit different, but I'd check the air temp, air pressure, cylinder head temp and TPS sensors are all plugged in and registering.

GuzziDiag could be helpful here as it shows what the sensor values are.

When you say running like crap, what exactly do you mean, misfire, lack of power, not idling?

Hi Pete

My Sporti engined bike actually has a MyECU installed by a previous owner

However I'm running Guzzidiag V0.60 on the HiCam engine (Daytona RS engine) which is also 16M AFAIK

I started up the laptop to be sure and Guzzidiag tells me the ECU selected is the 16M, so perhaps I'm not losing my mind after all

Understand why as the site doesn't make mention of the 16M being supported

It's either that or I'm needing medical attention

12 hours ago, red lion said:

Give us a bit more detail?Ā 

My gut reaction is that your air filter has caused a lean condition. The old rule of thumb in 'stock engine' racing was that the intake side mods required rejetting while the exhaust side did not. If you find nothing disconnected, put the old filter back in to see if it returns to normal.

• Like 1

You guys could well be correct, but I'd be surprised.

The Sprint's look similar to K&Ns & many, many have installed them to Sports and Daytonas without any remapping being required, despite all the dire warnings I see on the forums that the bike will run like crap.

Granted you might lose a "hoss" or two, but anectodally I've not heard of anybody I know personally who installed them and had any issues.

Different engine but in an article over on the COG forum on tuning, one owner found the stock airbox restrictive

By all means try placing the stock filter back on as it's not a huge amount of work to test it, I'm interested to see if that's the problem.

Quite happy to be proved wrong, every day being a school day and all that

• Like 1

I just noticed that the rubber intake boots have cracks in them. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not. How hard of a job is it to change them, I read someone here talk about soaking them in hot water and using grease on them to install. What's the correct way to change them, do you need to remove the the tank and airbox? I also heard about usingĀ  SHIN-ETSU grease on them.

• Like 1