floppy crossover Fixed!

Guest turtle

Al, thanks for tracking down the stainless steel gaskets from MPH! I had ordered the standard gaskets and was in the process of trying to install them, which hasn't been a lot of fun. I'm going to halt that process and wait for the MPH parts to arrive. It's still awful weather here so it won't mean missing out on any riding to wait.

• Like 1

This is a very interesting piece of kit for those later model V11S running the front exhaust crossover.

Great job @al_roethlisberger for sourcing these from MPH. They look to be dimensionally identical to the ones developed by Turtle(?) and posted here almost 20 years ago . I wonder how MPH got to manufacture and sell them?!

I welcome any feedback,while this topic is on the burner,because it also happens to be on my "to do" list; there is one other aspect to this that iirc was an issue.

I've read a ton of info on the pros/cons replacing the gaskets in the crossovers with solid machined pieces vs just eliminating the crossover completely with new headers.

Iirc there were a few/many? owners that replaced the gaskets at the crossover with solid machined metal pieces and experienced cracking in a variety of places around fixed fastening points of the header pipes, because of the loss of flexibility dealing with vibration/engine/pipe movement etc.

fwiw idk

• Like 2

I just ordered a set of these from Mike at MPH cycles.  The price is now $49 per set. He says he has a few more sets left in stock before he has to have more of them made. If you want a set without waiting for another batch you should grab them now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, Speedfrog said:

This is a very interesting piece of kit for those later model V11S running the front exhaust crossover.

Great job @al_roethlisberger for sourcing these from MPH. They look to be dimensionally identical to the ones developed by Turtle(?) and posted here almost 20 years ago . I wonder how MPH got to manufacture and sell them?!

I have no idea what the story is about how these came to be, and it would be speculation without asking MPH.... so I'll go ahead and speculate :lol:

They could have arrived at or developed the adapters themselves just based on the realities of the dimensions of the part, or maybe they worked with "Turtle" to carry-on the production after he moved on?  I really don't know :huh2:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dgpmerc said:

I just ordered a set of these from Mike at MPH cycles.  The price is now $49 per set.

I ordered a set as well for the Café Sport earlier today but I got the regular price ($70)!

When I asked Mike about it, he admitted having made a mistake on the price with the earlier order and said he couldn't afford to make that mistake twice - That's ok, I think it's a fair price, especially compared to that of the graphite gaskets. If iirc it had cost ~$100 for Turtle to have a set made almost 20 years ago.

Thanks to @dgpmerc for reviving this old thread and bringing this issue back to the forefront. My bike's PO had mention chasing leaks at the headers crossover and replaced the gaskets prior of the sale and told me what a pita it is to remove and re-install the whole exhaust system to replace these gaskets. These shims should solve the leaky/floppy crossover problems and maybe make re-assembly easier and at least more permanent. 

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

I just came across a set of these in my parts shed that I got from "way back when". I've converted my bike to remove the cross over, so I don't need them anymore.  I'll post them up for sale on the classified.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1