V11 with a front fairing: replacing the H4 Halogene by a Led; the owner's manual seems to be incorrect?

p6x

7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I ran across something I've known for a decade, figured I'd present it for those who haven't seen it. I picked this thread at random as an LED lighting thread. 

I installed an LED in my '74 Aermacchi and it's enormously better than the stock sealed beam- or the more modern high output H4. But it was also very expensive. I chose it because I have only 140 watts of charging system to work with. 
I improved the light on my 1100 Sport by cleaning the inside of the lens; my '85 LeMans was *hugely* improved by adding a separate battery circuit and 30a relay to the H4. I haven't yet relayed the 'Sport, but I expect the same level of improvement. I don't LED.

https://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I added headlight relays to both my '87 Lemans & '03 Lemans primarily to reduce voltage drop and improve hbar switch longevity.  More recently I added H4 LED's to those bikes to reduce charging system load and improve daytime conspicuity.  I'm reluctant to ride before sunrise or after sunset anymore but was caught once last Fall after sunset on the '87 with the new LED H4 and was please with the performance.  Although I have no idea of how long the bulb will last ...amazon $17.  So, I guess we'll see.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, guzziart said:

I added headlight relays to both my '87 Lemans & '03 Lemans primarily to reduce voltage drop and improve hbar switch longevity.  More recently I added H4 LED's to those bikes to reduce charging system load and improve daytime conspicuity.  I'm reluctant to ride before sunrise or after sunset anymore but was caught once last Fall after sunset on the '87 with the new LED H4 and was please with the performance.  Although I have no idea of how long the bulb will last ...amazon $17.  So, I guess we'll see.  

This comment actually brings something to light (I wish I'd thought that pun) that I hadn't considered; The editorial I linked to says, without saying, that an inappropriate lamp makes ineffective use of the reflector and that prevents the light 'getting where it's needed'. BUT. What if I never ride at night? What if I ride at night only in the city, or only below 45mph? I might make the argument that having more wasted light, or glare to oncoming traffic, is actually safer under these conditions. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, guzziart said:

OK, FWIW, my $17 Amazon LED bulb in the '03 Lemans no longer works and I haven't woke up the '87 so I don't know if that one still works but the bulb in that one was from a different manufacturer.  Oh well, I guess I gotta get a bulb and pull the fairing (again).

5 years/ 17,000 miles/ 27.500 km on this "Vintage Car" LED (my second LED after numerous attempts to enhance the H4). Great Hi- and Lo- beam patterns from the early Sport Bosch steel bucket reflector/lens.

Not sure how this may apply the the later V11 plastic bucket . . .

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

VCm3-BulbsOnly-B.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My first brand X LED bulb had a base that was too thick and I was concerned that the aditional thickness would over stress the bulb retaining spring and subsequently break the plastic tab from the plaestic headlamp bucket.  Plus, the plug end of the bulb was 8mm - 10mm too long and created an interference problem (contacted connector in the back of the headlight bucket).  The 2nd brand X LED bulb fit well, it has thin metal base like a regular H4 bulb and doesn't stress the retaining spring clip and the base portion of the bulb is dimensionally the same length as a regular H4 too.  However, longevity of the brand X is very poor imo...a few months.  At this point I'd really like to try a 7" LED assembly but not sure if the retaining ring would work to hold it in place.  So, I've got that to look into and try to seal the timing sensor oil leak (again, still).