Newly acquired '03 V11 Sport

LaGrasta

55 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

After two successful bench cleanings and test, the injectors have now stopped working. The bike starts and runs as long as I'm forcing fuel in to the cylinders, so I again removed the injectors and found them not working any longer. Maybe I burned them out while bench testing. I did take precautions to not activate them for more than a moment, but I guess I failed.

So with this, I ordered two new ones from AliExpress. Although I'm mystified as to what happened, I am excited to receive the new ones with hopes of an install, a start-up, and a test ride!

At the urging of my OEM parts only brother-in-law, I plan to have the original injectors refurbished and shelved, just in case.

I don't think it's likely that both injectors failed at the same time. It's more probable that there's a failure in the injector circuit. You should test the injector signal with a noid light.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I don't think it's likely that both injectors failed at the same time. It's more probable that there's a failure in the injector circuit. You should test the injector signal with a noid light.

did that too, both are good. I swapped the relay too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gstallons said:

You did use a noid light to check for fuel injector pulse at both injectors and got good pulses on both ?

yes

• 2 weeks later...

SUCCESS!

I installed the AliExpress ordered injectors, the bike started right up! I don't understand why the OEMs bench tested correct, twice, but failed to even light the bike at all. With that said, and having to remove and replace the injectors far more than any bike should ever have, it now runs great. 

I put just over 10 miles on it, at speeds of 100 mph. I still need to address the right fork seal as it allowed the fluid to leak out while sitting with the previous owner. The brakes were surprisingly not great. I already flushed the brake fluid, so maybe after some heat cycles they will grip better. Expecting a bike with only 10k on the clock, to still have the OEM pads, maybe they need replaced not due to use, but rather age. I'll determine this soon, easily enough replaced if need be.

Having finally went for a run, I'll now remove and replace the rear-end, gear-box and motor oils. Plus, I have yet to install the shift extender cam. Having ridden it only 10 miles, I can already see it needs it! Thank you all for your advice, truly appreciated. 

• Like 8

Congratulations, @LaGrasta! Your determination is admirable!

Yes, fresh Brembo pads are a good idea. I know folks run various pads, but my original rotors suffered from some of my choices, so Brembo only for mySport.

In fact, just last night I ordered fronts and rear from MGCycle. :mg:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I put just over 10 miles on it, at speeds of 100 mph. I still need to address the right fork seal as it allowed the fluid to leak out while sitting with the previous owner. The brakes were surprisingly not great. I already flushed the brake fluid, so maybe after some heat cycles they will grip better. Expecting a bike with only 10k on the clock, to still have the OEM pads, maybe they need replaced not due to use, but rather age. I'll determine this soon, easily enough replaced if need be.

It also occurred to me to mention servicing the pins and pistons while you have the pads out. This has made a huge difference in braking feel and performance on my Sport...

Clean, polish, and lightly grease (silicone grease only, NO petroleum around brakes [@gstallons's solid advice] ) the four pad pins. If any are badly ridged or deeply corroded, consider replacements.

Withdraw fluid from the reservoir, clean the pistons with a spray cleaner for brakes like CRC  Brākleen® (watch yer eyes!), rotate each piston with a proper brake piston tool, then press the pistons into the calipers. I've great results "chocking" the first pistons to move and further cleaning and pumping-out/ pressing-in the sluggish pistons until they all move relatively evenly. (Bear in mind the differential piston sizes on the front calipers are designed to move the leading pistons differently from the the trailing.)

Flush with fresh fluid that has a confirmed low moisture content.

Best to you, again, @LaGrasta, on getting this V11 Sport back on the road! :notworthy:  :luigi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

SUCCESS!

I installed the AliExpress ordered injectors, the bike started right up!

Plus one here...excellent news. 

• Like 2

On the brake maintenance : someone has a wooden block to move each piston . You want to do it right , extract each piston and clean the bore for each piston . I use brake assembly fluid on reassembly . After a lot of research , you want to use NEW (as in , removing the foil from the top of the bottle) DOT 4 fluid . Buy a small bottle so you can toss it after you are completely through . Flush , flush , flush all the DOT 3 from the system .   

after my little ride w/Docc & (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) one more , I found out about brake fluid boiling and using the front brakes first . 

Who was that anyway ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gstallons said:

On the brake maintenance : someone has a wooden block to move each piston . You want to do it right , extract each piston and clean the bore for each piston . I use brake assembly fluid on reassembly . After a lot of research , you want to use NEW (as in , removing the foil from the top of the bottle) DOT 4 fluid . Buy a small bottle so you can toss it after you are completely through . Flush , flush , flush all the DOT 3 from the system .   

after my little ride w/Docc & (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) one more , I found out about brake fluid boiling and using the front brakes first . 

Who was that anyway ?

Josh on his silver SPOrT1100. That was a great meet-up, BTW.  We are waaaaaaay overdue for another!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

Josh on his silver SPOrT1100. That was a great meet-up, BTW.  We are waaaaaaay overdue for another!

Early Spring SSR? :bier:

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Early Spring SSR? :bier:

"sSSR " . . . Something you Kentucky guys should have a spanner on . . .  :luigi:    :race:  :mg:       :drink: