Newly acquired '03 V11 Sport

LaGrasta

2 minutes ago, docc said:

"sSSR " . . . Something you Kentucky guys should have a spanner on . . .  :luigi:    :race:  :mg:       :drink:   

I thought the last we had left it, Goofman was looking into lodging around Dale Hollow Lake. Let’s try to nail down a sSSR date, & I’ll start working on it again. :bike:

With the new global warming weather patterns, we could have held a Late Fall SSR this past weekend, temps in the high 70’s F. :sun:

ordered… 

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 10.12.54 AM.png

I already have those grips on my V11, never seen them before. The taper is surprisingly perfect! They feel and fit incredible, so much so, I searched the internet to buy a set for another bike, but failed finding them. Then making this order this morning, I browse MG Cycle and to my surprise, there they are!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gstallons said:

# 1 you got that right !

# 2  5-10s & an 8 on Saturday of nights has made me a dull boy !

# 3 SSR ?

Sorry, not following.

3 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Sorry, not following.

gstallons reply was directed at the thread drift about our riding experiences and the potential for a "spring South'n Spine Raid " in southeast Kentucky next year. I have redirected that discussion to Joe's topic in "Meetings, Clubs and Events."

3 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I do not. [ have a ScudSpring.]

I noticed the "shift return spring in your parts order. No use changing that unless also installing the Chuck-engineered SuperSpring and performing the Lucky Phil Shift Improvement:

• Like 3

Thank you @docc. I don't plan to change the spring unless I must. It was my intention, after reading the forum to carry it as a spare. When making my order, I saw it was being advertised and added it as a precaution. As for Lucky Phil extender, that will be put on the bike fairly soon. I wanted to ride the bike as stock, to better notice before and after differences.

On another note. I chose to order from MGC, my first time, as they had good prices and selection. I'm not sure how I never managed to order from them in the past for my V7. I reached out for ordering advice on fitment, but phone calls were not being accepted. In an email, there was some back and forth, ending in confusion, and additional cost on my part. Somehow, he managed to ship my order within an hour or so of placing it, before answering either my email or order notes asking for fitment confirmation.

Now a day later, I'm still wondering if my order is correct. The front seal was wrong, and I'm still not sure if 1 or 2 kits is needed for front brakes and front seals. I have a feeling, there is more back and forth to come, following by additional USPS cost and his lame restocking fee. Even returning a car to the dealer doesn't cost a restocking fee. Disappointing service.

Let me defend MG Cycle a bit. Rick (Cheesehead) and Gordon are long time Guzzi Guys that started small and have continued to grow. They are probably the most knowledgeable Guzzi parts guys in the country. They used to spend a *lot* of time on the phone explaining what part would work on what bike, etc. This seriously affected their time to pack and ship. Occasionally, when I was in Wisconsin visiting The Kid, I'd stop in and pick up parts.. but tried not to use up their time. They *were* working like one armed paper hangers. I mentioned that they really needed to get a young guy to at least pack and ship one evening when I stopped by with beer after hours. :bier: That has morphed into Andrew.

They have now gotten so large that they really don't have time for visitors or phones.. They don't come to rallies any more because it was just another day at work. That is the price of success, I guess.

On anything questionable, I shoot off an email now. I was trying to find a dog leg brake lever for the AeroLario. Even the stock ones to modify are NLA. I asked if a lever they had could be made to work, and received an email saying "this one can probably be made to do that. " Ordered it, fit it up and told them what mods needed to be made if someone else needed one for the Tron era switch gear/integrated brake master cylinder lever. Got another email saying thanks for that.

I get it. That is also why I have never tried to make a living out of my hobbies. They turn into work. :grin:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

YUP Chuck..Anyone who who has ever started a 1 or 2 man business and is good at what they do  knows this experience..ESPECIALLY if it is from your Hobby..its a good way to forever ruin the joy you had for it.  If your good at what you do you will eventually have more work than you can handle, most of your waking time will be trying to put out fires. 

Like the perfectionist who works by himself in his home shop and does my major mechanical  said last time  we spoke....

'I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest"!!

I might add..Especially when you have a small motorcycle shop in Snow country like Wisconsin..You have  a short season and only a few months to make your nut. ( been there done that too) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

Thank you @docc. I don't plan to change the spring unless I must. It was my intention, after reading the forum to carry it as a spare. When making my order, I saw it was being advertised and added it as a precaution. As for Lucky Phil extender, that will be put on the bike fairly soon. I wanted to ride the bike as stock, to better notice before and after differences.

Ah, okay. The spring in your order is not the one of concern. It would be the "pawl spring" that looks like these:

IMG_3088.jpgTop: 75,000 mile factory spring; middle: new factory replacement; bottom: Chuck-Designed/Scud-made SuperSpring

Sheesh, MGC helped even less than I originally thought. I now have a feeling I have half a brake pad set, a single fork seal and a spring of no use! 20% restocking fee!!! It's only money :(

24 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

Sheesh, MGC helped even less than I originally thought. I now have a feeling I have half a brake pad set, a single fork seal and a spring of no use! 20% restocking fee!!! It's only money :(

IF, you want to talk on a phone to someone, call Harper's. The only problem is, you will most likely need the resources and parts from both MG Cycle and Harper's to get your V11 up to speed. I know this from buying and resurrecting a 2001 Rosso Mandello, purchased in February. I agree with Chuck, MG Cycle has a very nice selection and possibly the best Moto Guzzi Parts WEB experience, but most importantly, they are good people. Don't get discouraged, and accept the fact you will be spending some money to revive your classic. My wife complained a lot about credit card statements for 6 months. But my Rosso is now reliable, and I've ridden it to SSR and had a glorious time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

How do you "feel" you have half of something ?

I'm not certain when I ordered front brakes, it's both sides of the front. Not sure why anyone would order just one side though. The fork seals, it seems they have some pictured with one seal, and others with two. Again, why would anyone only do a single side. 

I clearly questioned if my parts were correct for my task, so maybe I'm just overthinking this, and they'll arrive correct.