Newly acquired '03 V11 Sport

LaGrasta

7 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

I'm not certain when I ordered front brakes, it's both sides of the front. Not sure why anyone would order just one side though. The fork seals, it seems they have some pictured with one seal, and others with two. Again, why would anyone only do a single side. 

I clearly questioned if my parts were correct for my task, so maybe I'm just overthinking this, and they'll arrive correct. 

So, yeah, front brakes are in pairs and front fork legs are in pairs. Each fork leg also has both an oil seal and a dust seal.

Back on the day :oldgit:, (as recently as 4-5 years ago) I could get everything V11 from one place (whichever one).

Now, it's a combination of MGCycle, Harper, Cadre, AF1, TLM, Stein-Dinse, Agostini, Amazon, EBay, and V11LeMans.com members. :mg:

Right now, I have things coming from six of those sources at once . . .  :luigi:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Now, it's a combination of MGCycle, Harper, Cadre, AF1, TLM, Stein-Dinse, Agostini, Amazon, EBay, and V11LeMans.com members. :mg:

Right now, I have things coming from six of those sources at once . . .  :luigi:

Now this is too funny!  Absolutely mimics some of my recent activities!  I have now added not only US Ebay, but also Canada Ebay to my recent list of providers (for the Griso I might add, but anyway).  

Both MG and Harpers have been great to work with...sometimes there are lags in getting items shipped due to worldwide supply chain issues, but they eventually show up.  I was pleasantly surprised however the other day to get a couple of items within a day or two of having placed the order...

Stein-Dinse has the most amazing shipping speed of any vendor, honestly they must have their own planes with door to door delivery service...it's that fast!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, docc said:

So, yeah, front brakes are in pairs and front fork legs are in pairs. Each fork leg also has both an oil seal and a dust seal.

Back on the day :oldgit:, (as recently as 4-5 years ago) I could get everything V11 from one place (whichever one).

You left out Mistral in Mandello Del Lario. I was surprised with the low Euro how far my low Canadian dollar went on a big exhaust order. They were excellent to deal with

I have experience with most on that list and after a pleasant purchase with Mistral, I'll be dealing with them direct again. Sooner than I intended, now that I've fought with & understand the crossover/header bs. lol. :grin:

• Like 3

Add AliExpress. I specifically searched Moto Guzzi V11 fork seals, and they had numerous vendors with complete sets of which to choose. I checked brake pad set, same. 

The crazy thing is so many global vendors are sourcing their stock from Ali anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docc said:

Been there will do that again! Docc isn’t part of the ownership experience at 20+ years old finding parts like a treasure hunt?B) As many are discontinued. :huh:

• Like 3

On 10/25/2022 at 10:30 AM, KINDOY2 said:

YUP Chuck..Anyone who who has ever started a 1 or 2 man business and is good at what they do knows this experience..ESPECIALLY if it is from your Hobby..its a good way to forever ruin the joy you had for it.  If your good at what you do you will eventually have more work than you can handle, most of your waking time will be trying to put out fires. Like the perfectionist who works by himself in his home shop and does my major mechanical  said last time  we spoke....'I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest"!!

That's me too.

Like Chuck says above about Rick and Gordon, we're so busy at my shop that we can't make or receive calls, AND we're buried in emails, so we have help these days. Still, we can't please everyone, and COVI-tude has changed things for the way worse on every level, including people's demands and expectations. Small business is just that. Impossible to eat restocks or we'll go out of business. I too stock tons of inventory for most all '98-current Guzzis now, including the big list of parts we make in house at my shop in Orange, CA; GTMotoCycles.com -- We'll be moving to a bigger space soon as we're bursting at the seams.

@LaGrasta -- you forget all about me? Though you've never supported us to date, we do have everything you need in stock hanging on the wall. Just a short ride up as you know. ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RacerX said:

We'll be moving to a bigger space soon as we're bursting at the seams.

Congratulations! And considering our spine frame's rarity and low production numbers, we're lucky to have folks with the passion to carry on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@RacerX I love GuzziTech, seriously, such a fan! I did actually look at your store, but IIRC, there wasn't everything I needed, and I was hoping for a one-stop shop. I actually rode the V11 to work today, first time. Maybe I'll swing by, hope to see you! 

As for supporting you, until recently, I only owned the 2010 V7 and even now with 22k on the clock, it has never needed anything. As for hop-up parts, it had everything when I bought it; suspension, ignition, exhaust, tuning. I'd love the 850 cylinders you offer, but they cost as much as I paid for the bike, lol.

If truth be told, I'm so disappointed with MG Cycle's customer service, I'm returning most everything. Their online selection and pricing lured me in, but I needed some hand-holding (I asked twice) and they didn't. They failed at getting me everything; I can't complete the forks or the brakes. Rather than make another order for missing items, I went elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

…still tinkering. Since buying this bike, I've ridden about 150 miles. All the while addressing any needs that are obvious, or suddenly pop up. I just replaced the oil vent line with success. However I still see some oil on top of the engine, almost looks like the left cylinder base gasket. I'll hose it off, take it for a ride and see if it continues, maybe is residuals as it's very little.

I can't yet do that because my ape of a friend, cross threaded my dip stick! My used ebay stick is to arrive this week. Once received, I'll screw it in, go for a ride, and see where I stand.

• Like 1

No, my guess is about 1 o clock, if looking at the left cylinder from the side of bike. I'm still not certain if it is leaking. I hosed it down after the initial road side oil blow, and was surprised to see any oil at all remaining. Granted this was the first time i started it after replacing the vent line.

I'm being optimistic though, it's probably another leak, not sure where. Like I said, once I get the new dipstick screwed-in, we'll start it and see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

No, my guess is about 1 o clock, if looking at the left cylinder from the side of bike. I'm still not certain if it is leaking. I hosed it down after the initial road side oil blow, and was surprised to see any oil at all remaining. Granted this was the first time i started it after replacing the vent line.

I'm being optimistic though, it's probably another leak, not sure where. Like I said, once I get the new dipstick screwed-in, we'll start it and see.

Once clean and dry, you can spray the areas of concern with foot powder and take a short, slow speed ride. The powder will discolor at the source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1