Fork seals, DIY or no?

LaGrasta

this is what I would order for my stock '02 https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_333&products_id=967

this is what I would order for my '03 Rosso (replacement forks in my '02) Ohlins forks https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_333&products_id=4720

and I would order them from MGCycle. but that's just me.

be careful ordering parts that don't list your bike specifically. And as docc said, if your '03 is a carryover, consider it an '02.

• Thanks 1

So on further inspection, I find the slider has a small nick. It's only about 2 inches from the top so the seal will not ride over it. However to insert into the seal, I'll need to not nick the seal, which is what may have happened upon my prior assembly, thus the leak. I'll smooth the nick out best I can, then carefully reassemble.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

okay, sounds like I got the correct seals, 40mm for my Marchozzi 43mm forks. thx!

Just to clarify for future readers, you have 40mm seals for 40mm forks. 

All early V11, 1999-2002 "short tank with chin pad", have 40mm forks unless Öhlins equipped.

Later, 2003-2005, V11 are 43mm.

The confusion occurs with early 2003 Sports that are "carryovers" from 2002, identifiable by the chin-pad short tank and white-face Veglia instruments. These use the earlier 40mm Marzocchi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stewgnu said:

“the confusion occurs..”. no snit mate- i’m still not entirely sure what v11 i’ve got!

Right? When Aprilia introduced the LeMans in 2002 with the (unannounced) LongFrame, the Sport became kind of a secret. In fact, it was a long time before I realized V11 Sport (no fairing/flyscreen and headlamp/instruments fork mounted) continued in the line to the end (at least until 2004).

So, @stewgnu looks to have a LongFrame/ShortTank Sport (exactly like the 2003 "carryover" Sport).

"Sport Naked?" 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stewgnu said:

“the confusion occurs..”. no snit mate- i’m still not entirely sure what v11 i’ve got!

I agree, what a confusing clusterph**k.

My 2003 Lemans is definitely a long frame with all the bracing,,,no pad on top of the tank, has the plastic trim on the tank from the bolt hole up to the top,,, inside the tank pump assembly,,, but I definitely have that plastic frame shroud covering wires etc behind the steering head.

I read the horror story this summer of the owner trying to get the wrong ft wheel bearing seal? to fit,,,, I break into a cold sweat thinking about doing bearing&seal work.

With so many variables, I'd be inclined to measure every seal or bearing before ordering,,, but that's a pita if you're doing repair work in riding season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I agree, what a confusing clusterph**k.

My 2003 Lemans is definitely a long frame with all the bracing,,,no pad on top of the tank, has the plastic trim on the tank from the bolt hole up to the top,,, inside the tank pump assembly,,, but I definitely have that plastic frame shroud covering wires etc behind the steering head.

I read the horror story this summer of the owner trying to get the wrong ft wheel bearing seal? to fit,,,, I break into a cold sweat thinking about doing bearing&seal work.

With so many variables, I'd be inclined to measure every seal or bearing before ordering,,, but that's a pita if you're doing repair work in riding season.

Me too....bracing, no tank pad, internal pump & plastic frame shroud.  No trim on tank from bolt hole up to top unless you mean the black stripe, about 4" wide, from the center  forwardmost top of tank to the filler cap and bubbles up with 10% ethynol use.

Thanks for the comment on bearings & seals.  Generally, I assume if I order a part listed in the illustrated parts breakdown and receive that item, it is correct for the application.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I'm going to change my signature to include this important designation, early. Thanks @docc.

Don't tattoo that on your body . It is subject to change .  When you order parts , do a lot of "leg"work before doing anything .

You do want to do this for your own benefit . The wiring diagram in the back of your owner's , have your wiring diagram enlarged and memorize everything !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1