Headlight relay wiring

dark_bike

At the risk of provoking ‚use the effing search function‘ comments, I have the following question (because I did and it produced too many results)

back in 2010 or thereabouts I bought a relay set-up to by pass the original wiring, as my Scura wouldn‘t charge properly on shorter runs with the lights on. All of a sudden my headlight doesn‘t work, and in case (I have yet to investigate the cause) I need a new relay system the question is, where to get it? Iirc it was sold by a member in Singapore or thereabouts but is he still in business? Maybe better/different solutions have been developed since?

I‘ve not been active here for ages, but I didn‘t sit on my hands, have restored a Le Mans III in the mean time.🙄

best, Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dark_bike said:

At the risk of provoking ‚use the effing search function‘ comments, I have the following question (because I did and it produced too many results)

back in 2010 or thereabouts I bought a relay set-up to by pass the original wiring, as my Scura wouldn‘t charge properly on shorter runs with the lights on. All of a sudden my headlight doesn‘t work, and in case (I have yet to investigate the cause) I need a new relay system the question is, where to get it? Iirc it was sold by a member in Singapore or thereabouts but is he still in business? Maybe better/different solutions have been developed since?

I‘ve not been active here for ages, but I didn‘t sit on my hands, have restored a Le Mans III in the mean time.🙄

best, Tom

We are here for the discussion, so that kind of response is not going to be a thing here. 

There is a US alternative for this harness, but let's investigate further . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dark_bike said:

best, Tom

@dark_bike, a few issues come to mind:

1) Is the replacement harness fused (it should be!)? What is the status of the fuse?

2) Is there one relay or two in the replacement harness? Installing known good relay(s) restores the headlight?

3) There have been reports of a burned out headlamp bulb taking out both filaments (and sometimes the fuse, as well). Verify the bulb is good.

4) Are there any other functions affected (brake light, horn, dash panel oil pressure "warning light" ) ?

5) Your Scura is "Euro spec" with a left hand lamp switch that can turn the headlamp off?

The headlight relay kit company you're referring to, is probably "Eastern Beaver".

If you've already got the kit installed, I'd just work through and chase/clean the connections with Deoxit.

Perhaps the relay has gone TU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@80CX100 ah, Eastern Beaver, that rings a bell, many thanks👍
@docc, of course, Guzzi folk are friendly people. But that is indeed the response you can get on other forums. As far as the issue is concerned, I can see that the bulb filaments are OK. The fuse for the lights is OK, too. It is indeed Euro spec, it‘s number 226. To the best of my knowledge this Eastern Beaver harness has two relays.
I noticed yesterday that the headlight was out (just the driving light was on) and haven‘t had time yet to pull things apart.

• Like 1

Has the battery been disconnected lately? With the extensive stack of ring terminals, it is very easy to let one slip (either the positive or the ground) and no power to the harness.

With two relays, it is quite unlikely that both failed leaving neither a Hi- or Lo- beam. (Notably, the driving light is on an entirely different circuit from the headlights.)

Some voltage, or continuity, testing at the switch would rule out a switch or connection failure there . . .

[FWIW, the snarky "Why don't you just use the search function, noob ?" that appears de rigueur on every other forum I have ever attempted to interact with is precisely why we will not go there on V11LeMans.com. ]

• Like 4

@docc ah, that‘s a good one. I did remove the battery a month ago.

just checked: bingo!

if I hadn‘t had so much on my mind right now I could have thought of it myself. Usually if something suddenly doesn‘t work on a car or bike I just worked on, there is a strong causal link between the one and the other.

you saved the day, many thanks!

• Like 2