Paddock stands for V11 Sport

Guest Ianell

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I found the Becker Technik stand 

JMP Hydraulic Motorcycle lift Red 400KG sold by Boonstra BV, although I have seen several variations of that same lift sold under various other brand names.

There is also the one from Gutsibits, which I believe is a copy of the original Moto Guzzi, with a center prop that allows disassembly of the front wheel.

I found a bunch of professional solutions, which are not really adapted for the "home" garage.

The Boonstra seems to be a relatively interesting solution. I am wondering if anybody here uses one like this?

I have read that someone uses the Becker Technik stand on his Guzzi V11, and needs the prop to get the front wheel off.

There is the Zeny, but it seems it requires anchoring so that is not going to work for me.

Are there any other candidates?

I have one of these. Only hassle on the V11 is I need to disconnect the shift lever to use it. Other than that it's perfect. I ordered mine direct from Germany. Make sure you order the sockets with it unless you have a few old ones lying around.

DSC01066.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1

My bike came with an aftermarket centerstand. Well made but poorly engineered. The pivot point is about 2-3 inches too low and you pull the behemoth up more than you do back for the first several inches. My chiropractor can explain...

Anyway, I roll the back tire onto a 2 by 4 laid flat and that allows the stand to swing down enough that a mere mortality can lift it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I have one of these. Only hassle on the V11 is I need to disconnect the shift lever to use it. Other than that it's perfect. I ordered mine direct from Germany. Make sure you order the sockets with it unless you have a few old ones lying around.

DSC01066.JPG

Ciao

You have a motorcycle lift as well, and a real workshop... that's nice! I can't see the lathe, milling machine, rectifying machine, boring machine, Tig/Mig and arc welding machines in the picture. At least you have a vice grip and I can only guess the cabinets are full of tools.

I don't think I need to look further for a workshop stand or a lift. I will simply com and squat yours..... :-)

I liked the Abba "sky lift" idea, but Moto Guzzi is not even in the list of the compatible motorcycles.

31 minutes ago, p6x said:

You have a motorcycle lift as well, and a real workshop... that's nice! I can't see the lathe, milling machine, rectifying machine, boring machine, Tig/Mig and arc welding machines in the picture. At least you have a vice grip and I can only guess the cabinets are full of tools.

I don't think I need to look further for a workshop stand or a lift. I will simply com and squat yours..... :-)

I liked the Abba "sky lift" idea, but Moto Guzzi is not even in the list of the compatible motorcycles.

Well I have a decent sized metal lathe and various other stuff but I dont have a Mill. My closest friend who passes away recently had a full engineering workshop and more importantly the skills on the machines to go with them so I was spoiled for that really. I've just spent the last little while hand digging and jack hammering 18 tons of dirt and rock from under my house which adjoins my garage so when that's concreted and I can move the bikes in there along with storage stuff that takes up room at present and I'll buy myself a Mill and a workshop press and metal bandsaw. Learning how to properly use the mill will be my next mission after that. I've got crankcases and cylinders to bore out:)

Ciao 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, p6x said:

For major work, I think a block and tackle, chain hoist or ceiling crane to lift the motorcycle, then a heavy duty transmission jack beneath to lower the engine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

For major work, I think a block and tackle, chain hoist or ceiling crane to lift the motorcycle, then a heavy duty transmission jack beneath to lower the engine.

This, race stands at the back and a scissor jack. The wooden part is a dedicated engine holder which isn't totally necessary.

Ciao

DSC00943.JPG

On 7/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Well I have a decent sized metal lathe and various other stuff but I dont have a Mill. My closest friend who passes away recently had a full engineering workshop and more importantly the skills on the machines to go with them so I was spoiled for that really. I've just spent the last little while hand digging and jack hammering 18 tons of dirt and rock from under my house which adjoins my garage so when that's concreted and I can move the bikes in there along with storage stuff that takes up room at present and I'll buy myself a Mill and a workshop press and metal bandsaw. Learning how to properly use the mill will be my next mission after that. I've got crankcases and cylinders to bore out:)

Ciao 

I had the training to use most of the machines when I was in school. Including learning to use files to may fine adjustments. I learned before CNC brought the sill level from knowing and understanding, to changing tools and starting a run.

I even did gears on milling machines, using a divider and the technical stuff about steel and alloys, what to pick and all that. Learned some welding and the rudiment of being coppersmith, which is one of the most difficult skill to hon, since at the time it was all manual.

Having access to any machines, and blanks I needed made life a paradise for someone with a motorbike. This makes me understand the difference today. None of the machine shops here would let you do your own thing. Mainly, liability if you injure yourself. I asked MPH, the shop I use in Houston, if I could come and use their tools and lifts to do my maintenance, and still pay them as if they had done it themselves, but they declined.

If you know how to use a lathe, I think it is not going to take you long to master a mill.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:46 PM, po18guy said:

I live in one of these cardboard house. If I install a railed hoist on the ceiling, the moment I attempt to lift the Guzzi, the bedroom floor is going to land into the garage.

I thought the ABBA sky lift was a possible choice.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Lucky Phil said:

This, race stands at the back and a scissor jack. The wooden part is a dedicated engine holder which isn't totally necessary.

Ciao

DSC00943.JPG

I can see the lathe....

On 7/17/2021 at 4:32 AM, Steve S said:

I have a factory stand but find this one easier to use, drilled the swingarm and bolted on bobbins

IMG_2448.JPG

But for the front wheel, you need the factory stand, correct?

4 minutes ago, p6x said:

I had the training to use most of the machines when I was in school. Including learning to use files to may fine adjustments. I learned before CNC brought the sill level from knowing and understanding, to changing tools and starting a run.

I even did gears on milling machines, using a divider and the technical stuff about steel and alloys, what to pick and all that. Learned some welding and the rudiment of being coppersmith, which is one of the most difficult skill to hon, since at the time it was all manual.

Having access to any machines, and blanks I needed made life a paradise for someone with a motorbike. This makes me understand the difference today. None of the machine shops here would let you do your own thing. Mainly, liability if you injure yourself. I asked MPH, the shop I use in Houston, if I could come and use their tools and lifts to do my maintenance, and still pay them as if they had done it themselves, but they declined.

If you know how to use a lathe, I think it is not going to take you long to master a mill.

Well I have the ability to learn but it's like playing a guitar like an expert it takes many many hours before it's like an extension of your body. I used to set up the Mill to do work I wanted and anything remotely involved I would get him to do as I didn't want to wreck an expensive part due to a lack of skills. it never helped my confidence when I watched a master like him work the X/Y manual feeds together smoothly and with finesse. I knew then that I probably don't have enough years left to ever become that good and it be second nature.

Ciao    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, p6x said:

But for the front wheel, you need the factory stand, correct?

The V11 factory stand only lifts the rear. Awkwardly. Once on the factory stand, the front can be lifted with a platform jack under the sump. PLEASE be certain the platform is fully seated under the sump, not lifting from an edge or a corner. And PLEASE either tie your V11 down to the lift or to joists above  ("chain fall").

With both wheels off the V11 on the factory stand and sump on the edge of a platform scissor jack, you are halfway to a bad day.  Don't ask me how I know. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well I have the ability to learn but it's like playing a guitar like an expert it takes many many hours before it's like an extension of your body. I used to set up the Mill to do work I wanted and anything remotely involved I would get him to do as I didn't want to wreck an expensive part due to a lack of skills. it never helped my confidence when I watched a master like him work the X/Y manual feeds together smoothly and with finesse. I knew then that I probably don't have enough years left to ever become that good and it be second nature.

Ciao    

I can attest that it is easier to play guitar as I do that too; but I understand what you mean. I remember how we learned at school, by first doing simple stuff, such as cutting a parallelepiped block to quotes. First starting with raw material, and then taking one already started, and installing it properly. Of course, it takes time to make it just natural. There is a lot of arithmetic to absorb to. Especially if you wanted to cut your own gears, using a divider.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, docc said:

The V11 factory stand only lifts the rear. Awkwardly. Once on the factory stand, the front can be lifted with a platform jack under the sump. PLEASE be certain the platform is fully seated under the sump, not lifting from an edge or a corner. And PLEASE either tie your V11 down to the lift or to joists above  ("chain fall").

With both wheels off the V11 on the factory stand and sump on the edge of a platform scissor jack, you are halfway to a bad day.  Don't ask me how I know. :mellow:

I am guessing I am not going to try to be "too clever", I already dropped the bike by doing something stupid that served me as a lesson.

I am going to get something that is safe to operate, or I will let the guys at MPH do the heavy lifting.