Paddock stands for V11 Sport

Guest Ianell

17 hours ago, docc said:

The V11 factory stand only lifts the rear. Awkwardly. Once on the factory stand, the front can be lifted with a platform jack under the sump. PLEASE be certain the platform is fully seated under the sump, not lifting from an edge or a corner. And PLEASE either tie your V11 down to the lift or to joists above  ("chain fall").

With both wheels off the V11 on the factory stand and sump on the edge of a platform scissor jack, you are halfway to a bad day.  Don't ask me how I know. :mellow:

It looks to me that lifting the whole bike from under the sump is not really helpful, as it would possibly interfere with the oil filter access, should you want to service it?

I got the answer from Abba, and it is rather laconically formulated: -"sorry, we don't do anything for Moto Guzzi!"

If I understood all the entries here, the safest is to purchase a rear stand, a front stand, and if I want to work on the bike at height, I need to purchase one of those scissors platform?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p6x said:

If I understood all the entries here, the safest is to purchase a rear stand, a front stand, and if I want to work on the bike at height, I need to purchase one of those scissors platform?

I find my other guzzis much more pleasant to work on, a big part of that is just getting it up in the air to do work.

The V11's style of frame, crossover, lack of center stand, and extreme rear weight bias, makes it challenging for me, to easily get things elevated safely.

The first time I tried to pull the rear plate out on my lift table to remove the rear wheel with the sump up on a scissor jack, the whole back end of the bike wanted to drop down into the hole. It was a pucker moment while I held the bike up and managed to get the plate back in place. Be mindful, V11s are very heavy in the ass end lol.

Right now I've got it up on a scissor jack under the sump, with a  Becker Technik Lift (not impressed jmho) under the pork chops.

I'm not happy with the set up I have now, it's a work in progress; my scissor jack is worth it's weight in gold and in the future I want to try using that, and different sized axle stands, with a shaped pieces of wood on them, placed under the pork chop/swing arm area and sump, fwiw good luck 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, po18guy said:

My bike came with an aftermarket centerstand. Well made but poorly engineered. The pivot point is about 2-3 inches too low and you pull the behemoth up more than you do back for the first several inches. My chiropractor can explain...

Anyway, I roll the back tire onto a 2 by 4 laid flat and that allows the stand to swing down enough that a mere mortality can lift it.

Yup got same issues with after market centre stand as well

I have to "block" the factory stand with a section of "4x4" post to get the rear tire clear of the lift deck. The polyethylene kitchen cutting board makes the lift so much easier. Yet the whole affair is very slippery . . .

DSCN2569.jpg

Strapping the front into the Baxley SportChock (clamped to the lift) is very secure. (Until the front has to also come off!)

nekkidSpine.jpg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

I find my other guzzis much more pleasant to work on, a big part of that is just getting it up in the air to do work.

The V11's style of frame, crossover, lack of center stand, and extreme rear weight bias, makes it challenging for me, to easily get things elevated safely.

The first time I tried to pull the rear plate out on my lift table to remove the rear wheel with the sump up on a scissor jack, the whole back end of the bike wanted to drop down into the hole. It was a pucker moment while I held the bike up and managed to get the plate back in place. Be mindful, V11s are very heavy in the ass end lol.

Right now I've got it up on a scissor jack under the sump, with a  Becker Technik Lift (not impressed jmho) under the pork chops.

I'm not happy with the set up I have now, it's a work in progress; my scissor jack is worth it's weight in gold and in the future I want to try using that, and different sized axle stands, with a shaped pieces of wood on them, placed under the pork chop/swing arm area and sump, fwiw good luck 

I have dropped my Guzzi already while maneuvering it to come down the small ramp that leads to my garage. This is entirely my fault. I could have sat as rider, instead of walking alongside while holding the bars. I had the stand deployed, I was on the right hand side. I thought if anything happened, I would push the bike away from me, and it would land on its stand. So the moment arrived, and I found the hard way the bike was too heavy for me to push away.

It fell on me. I was so fortunate to not have been pinned underneath. I only broke a turn indicator lens, and scratched the right bar end weight.

I also discovered I could not upright it by myself either. No matter what I tried. Getting underneath to push with my legs... Niente da fare!

So I am now looking at it with much more respect.

Back to our subject; the sump of the V11 is convex. The way it looks to me, if you enter one of those scissors lift sideways, the bike will still be wobbly. At present, I can only see the Becker Technik center stand making sense.

I am going to run to my favorite shop tomorrow, and ask what they do to secure the bike on their professional grade lifts.

The Boonstra site proposes this JMP elevator for the V11 Guzzi Le Mans. But you have to use the uneven sump to lift the bike. I am going to ask them if they have tried it at least.

16 minutes ago, p6x said:

I have dropped my Guzzi already while maneuvering it to come down the small ramp that leads to my garage. This is entirely my fault. I could have sat as rider, instead of walking alongside while holding the bars. I had the stand deployed, I was on the right hand side. I thought if anything happened, I would push the bike away from me, and it would land on its stand. So the moment arrived, and I found the hard way the bike was too heavy for me to push away.

It fell on me. I was so fortunate to not have been pinned underneath. I only broke a turn indicator lens, and scratched the right bar end weight.

I also discovered I could not upright it by myself either. No matter what I tried. Getting underneath to push with my legs... Niente da fare!

So I am now looking at it with much more respect.

Back to our subject; the sump of the V11 is convex. The way it looks to me, if you enter one of those scissors lift sideways, the bike will still be wobbly. At present, I can only see the Becker Technik center stand making sense.

I am going to run to my favorite shop tomorrow, and ask what they do to secure the bike on their professional grade lifts.

The Boonstra site proposes this JMP elevator for the V11 Guzzi Le Mans. But you have to use the uneven sump to lift the bike. I am going to ask them if they have tried it at least.

The stability is controlled by the shop stand and the front lift support by the scissor lifter. It's stable. You can of course have a simple small wooden frame to locate on the sump when you use the scissor lift if your worried. My large holder was made for an engine change where I lifted the chassis over the engine on the lift bench and for engine storage. An overkill in all other situations.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

The stability is controlled by the shop stand and the front lift support by the scissor lifter. It's stable. You can of course have a simple small wooden frame to locate on the sump when you use the scissor lift if your worried. My large holder was made for an engine change where I lifted the chassis over the engine on the lift bench and for engine storage. An overkill in all other situations.

Ciao

I come from the "type approval" certification and reviewed designed world. I wish I could find something designed specifically for the V11 series.

If I had the space, I would purchase a proper setup with a scissor lift and appropriate stands.

I found another prospective company in England, which I have not seen mentioned here, on the forum; on-bike.

They seem to specialize in motorcycle lifts. Obviously, nothing shown for Moto Guzzi.

They have a lift for the Ducati Diavel.

Boonstra has not yet replied about the lift proposed when I configure their filter for my Le Mans. I am going to check with on-bike to see if they would have anything.

I got the replies from Boonstra; they have never tried the JMP lift on a V11 Moto Guzzi.

However, "on-bike" said they have sold many of their lifts for V11 Moto Guzzi.

Here's their answer:

We have supplied in the region of some 65 Big Blue lifts to MG V11 customers worldwide including the USA and have nothing but rave reviews from them so all you need with the lift is our Heavy Duty footpeg mount set, You can find it here: https://us.on-bike.com/motorcycle-lifts/bike-lift-for-other-cruisers
Everything is stock and ready to go on a 2 day DHL air service to the USA, All included in the price shown.

Is there anyone reading this thread owning one of these?

Those of you with "motorcycle lift" experience, any opinion on the "footpeg" solution?

22 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Ditto.

Using the OEM stand and a scissor's jack under the sump, the bike is very stable. I've had the bike up/down/up/downon the lift, tank off/on/off/on, etc. with this configuration without a worry. Only pucker factor I encounter is the use of the OEM stand (with sockets to the appropriate bike nuts) raising and lowering the bike. I have a cheater pipe safety wired to the OEM stand...for reasons you can infer. (You would think an ex-flatbed owner/operator would have known better...)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, p6x said:

I come from the "type approval" certification and reviewed designed world. I wish I could find something designed specifically for the V11 series.

If I had the space, I would purchase a proper setup with a scissor lift and appropriate stands.

I found another prospective company in England, which I have not seen mentioned here, on the forum; on-bike.

They seem to specialize in motorcycle lifts. Obviously, nothing shown for Moto Guzzi.

They have a lift for the Ducati Diavel.

Boonstra has not yet replied about the lift proposed when I configure their filter for my Le Mans. I am going to check with on-bike to see if they would have anything.

So do I, Aviation, but I trust my own engineering. I wouldn't do anything unless it was safe. Belt and braces for me.

You know 20 years ago we needed a "special tool" to remove a component in the lube unit of the CFM-56 jet engines that powered the Boeing 737's in our fleet. We didn't have the tool and the lead time to get one was long and the Maintenance Manual showed a drawing and dimensions. So I requisitioned some material out of the stores system and took it home and machined/made a couple and took them to the tool crib for use doing the job. All worked perfectly for maybe 5 years then the Aviation world went totally compliance crazy. It was always quite strict but then it went totally full scale. My terrific and perfectly useful tools went in the bin. No official paperwork to certify their "compliance" sigh.

Ciao          

8 hours ago, p6x said:

I got the replies from Boonstra; they have never tried the JMP lift on a V11 Moto Guzzi.

However, "on-bike" said they have sold many of their lifts for V11 Moto Guzzi.

Here's their answer:

Is there anyone reading this thread owning one of these?

Those of you with "motorcycle lift" experience, any opinion on the "footpeg" solution?

That our V11 footpegs are folding would not be compatible with lifting through them? :huh2:

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, docc said:

That our V11 footpegs are folding would not be compatible with lifting through them? :huh2:

Good catch Docc!

I watched their bracketing system again, and the only way it could work, is if they would lift from the pivot fixture, and not on the collapsible foot rest.

I am going to ask them to comment on that. Since he quoted they sold about 65 of those lifts to V11 owners....

• Like 1

Just now, p6x said:

Good catch Docc!

I watched their bracketing system again, and the only way it could work, is if they would lift from the pivot fixture, and not on the collapsible foot rest.

I am going to ask them to comment on that. Since he quoted they sold about 65 of those lifts to V11 owners....

That would be curious as we have never heard of them here, AFIIK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leroysch said:

Ditto.

Using the OEM stand and a scissor's jack under the sump, the bike is very stable. I've had the bike up/down/up/downon the lift, tank off/on/off/on, etc. with this configuration without a worry. Only pucker factor I encounter is the use of the OEM stand (with sockets to the appropriate bike nuts) raising and lowering the bike. I have a cheater pipe safety wired to the OEM stand...for reasons you can infer. (You would think an ex-flatbed owner/operator would have known better...)

I can understand using a cheater pipe.

The OEM stand is no longer available though. Because when I add up the costs of purchasing the on-bike lift + foot peg mount + shipping, then I come close to the price of a good scissors lift. Which I would buy without any hesitation if I had the space.

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

So do I, Aviation, but I trust my own engineering. I wouldn't do anything unless it was safe. Belt and braces for me.

You know 20 years ago we needed a "special tool" to remove a component in the lube unit of the CFM-56 jet engines that powered the Boeing 737's in our fleet. We didn't have the tool and the lead time to get one was long and the Maintenance Manual showed a drawing and dimensions. So I requisitioned some material out of the stores system and took it home and machined/made a couple and took them to the tool crib for use doing the job. All worked perfectly for maybe 5 years then the Aviation world went totally compliance crazy. It was always quite strict but then it went totally full scale. My terrific and perfectly useful tools went in the bin. No official paperwork to certify their "compliance" sigh.

Ciao          

I can relate to "home made" special tools. I was in the battle tanks industry, and a lot of the stuff we had to tear down after the tank had been used in the field could no longer come apart as described in the service manual. So we had to devise our clever ways...

• Like 3