CO Trim Settings

KenBlake

Hi folks,

I have a 2004 Ballabio with K&N pod filters, Mistral headers, Stucchi x pipe/crossover and mistral cans. I am wondering what other people have their CO trim set to, just for reference. How high how do people go with similar mods? I have mine set to +20 and it runs nicely I'm just curious if there might benefit to going higher. At 0 there was lurching at WOT but increasing to 20 made it smoother. 

Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken,

I currently have three ECU's that I've collected over the years. About six months ago after doing a complete tune on my 2000 V11 I plugged in Guzzidiag to check all the parameters. I still had a little choppy idle and found the stock ECU c/o trim set at +65. I lowered it to get the best idle at +35 and bike rode very well through all throttle inputs. When I got back from the test ride I plugged in the other two ECU's and one was at-7 the other at+15. both idled o k but not as smooth as the original. I realize that without a proper analyzer I'm just doing it by "feel" but the ride is smooth without any hiccups.. My conclusion was that there are enough differences in the ecu's to adjust them individually for your best situation. My:2c:

Paul B:bier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, paulnaz said:

Hi Ken,

I currently have three ECU's that I've collected over the years. About six months ago after doing a complete tune on my 2000 V11 I plugged in Guzzidiag to check all the parameters. I still had a little choppy idle and found the stock ECU c/o trim set at +65. I lowered it to get the best idle at +35 and bike rode very well through all throttle inputs. When I got back from the test ride I plugged in the other two ECU's and one was at-7 the other at+15. both idled o k but not as smooth as the original. I realize that without a proper analyzer I'm just doing it by "feel" but the ride is smooth without any hiccups.. My conclusion was that there are enough differences in the ecu's to adjust them individually for your best situation. My:2c:

Paul B:bier:

Nothing to do with ECU's it's about the engine.

Phil

4 hours ago, KenBlake said:

Hi folks,

I have a 2004 Ballabio with K&N pod filters, Mistral headers, Stucchi x pipe/crossover and mistral cans. I am wondering what other people have their CO trim set to, just for reference. How high how do people go with similar mods? I have mine set to +20 and it runs nicely I'm just curious if there might benefit to going higher. At 0 there was lurching at WOT but increasing to 20 made it smoother. 

Thanks!

Ken

How long is a piece of string? It's like asking how many turns should I set my idle screw or air screws. There is no definitive answer. The CO trim is set to what each individual engines needs are. You can do it by "feel" or hook up an EGA and set it to the factory CO level and then see if it runs best at that OR try a setting either side of that and see if it runs better there.

Phil

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

How long is a piece of string? It's like asking how many turns should I set my idle screw or air screws. There is no definitive answer. The CO trim is set to what each individual engines needs are. You can do it by "feel" or hook up an EGA and set it to the factory CO level and then see if it runs best at that OR try a setting either side of that and see if it runs better there.

Phil

Presently, my CO is set + 11. It got there while I was chasing another problem (minor air leaks around the vacuum taps) and is entirely arbitrary. I thought about putting back to zero, but it just seems rather right. Feels good. And spells "nevele " backward. B):rolleyes:

I can tell you the factory setting of minus 27 totally sucked and I chased that mess for years until @andy york made it right.

Also, I have observed very high, double-digit positive CO Fuel Trim settings from attempts to try and correct something else. Which it won't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Phil

Yeah, I was just trying to get a sense of the range of settings people have. What factors determine the correct setting? Why is there so much variation between machines? You would think two identical machines would require the same setting for optimal performance. I’m obviously not very knowledgeable about this and am trying to learn. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, KenBlake said:

Yeah, I was just trying to get a sense of the range of settings people have. What factors determine the correct setting? Why is there so much variation between machines? You would think two identical machines would require the same setting for optimal performance. I’m obviously not very knowledgeable about this and am trying to learn. Thanks!

No two engines are the identical mechanically, in mileage, or condition, then add to that that all the sensors used for engine control have their own tolerances and you can see the scope there is for variation. Your bike also has a different exhaust no airbox and silly pod filters to throw into the mix.

Phil 

I if you do a search on emissions and settings on google, you will find the basic info on air/fuel ratio, timing  and atmospheric  conditions that effect c/o, nox and co2. Your ecu is taking several parameters and trying to adjust for performance to keep those levels in acceptable range. All ecu's react differently  depending on those variables and adjust accordingly Like I listed on mine, three different ecu's three different settings.

Paul B

• Like 1