Why am I persecuted so by the warlord of rotor seals?

Pressureangle

When I put Caruso's gears in the 'Sport, I had no leaks. I replaced the front cover seal as a matter of course. The new one leaked. I replaced the leaking black seal with a new blue one. Just got it all back together again, went out for ~100 miles to find a few drops from the front seal again. 
I had to replace the front seal in the '85 LM twice also. Is it the Chinese Conspiracy? Are the seals crap, or have I simply become an ape? WTF, universe? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

When I put Caruso's gears in the 'Sport, I had no leaks. I replaced the front cover seal as a matter of course. The new one leaked. I replaced the leaking black seal with a new blue one. Just got it all back together again, went out for ~100 miles to find a few drops from the front seal again. 
I had to replace the front seal in the '85 LM twice also. Is it the Chinese Conspiracy? Are the seals crap, or have I simply become an ape? WTF, universe? 

I changed my original oil tight seal when I did the gears and fitted a new one when I built the daytona engine, both are fine. You need to use an OEM Unidirectional seal on these and the rear seal or any difficult to access seal for that matter. Thats what the original factory fit seals are not bidirectional seals. Same for the gearbox output shaft seal. make sure the seal sleeve isn't damaged on the sealing face.

Phil 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I changed my original oil tight seal when I did the gears and fitted a new one when I built the daytona engine, both are fine. You need to use an OEM Unidirectional seal on these and the rear seal or any difficult to access seal for that matter. Thats what the original factory fit seals are not bidirectional seals. Same for the gearbox output shaft seal. make sure the seal sleeve isn't damaged on the sealing face.

Phil 

I guess I'll call Harpers, then. This is BS lol

5 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

I guess I'll call Harpers, then. This is BS lol

Or go to a bearing supplier and source a Unidirectional seal of the correct dimensions. These bikes are so old now that the Guzzi shops just source general stuff like seals etc. The Guzzi factory hasn't stocked v11 parts for years. Sorry by OEM I meant the original type of seal fitted.

Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

Makes me reluctant to tackle this gear change, seal/ gasket installation. <_<

It's what separates the Engineers from the "mechanics" the details. No one should be worried about this job, it's pretty straight forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I might let my weeping timing chest drive the decision to go in there.

But it has stopped weeping . . . (for now) . . . :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy york said:

But it has stopped weeping . . . (for now) . . .

I have one if you need it 

:race:

Hey, thanks, man! :thumbsup:

It was the tiniest smudge along the timing chest seam on one side, but I don't see it now. I have the gasket and seal for when the time comes for the gears.

4 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I'm going to try adding some Elmer's glue to the motor oil for a couple hundred miles to see if that works

sTp

the racer's edge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1