Fuel Injection, stream or spray?

LaGrasta

I cleaned my injectors, afterward they produced a strong single stream. I thought all injectors were meant to produce a spray (mist), but these injectors have only a single hole, not multiples like most others. Quick research made me believe this is correct. Can anyone confirm?

You need to Google/YouTube for a spray pattern , you should see a conical mist . the more fine / finer spray pattern is what you want . The finest spray is what you are after .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

yes, this is what I found, by far the most examples. However there seems to be stream style as well. Not sure what the V11 is supposed to be, but they are single hole, not multi-hole. After cleaning mine, both are single hole, with a sharp stream.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I cleaned my injectors, afterward they produced a strong single stream.

How did you test the injectors? I imagine that the spray pattern would change with different pressure and different fluids. I used a spray can of mass airflow sensor cleaner and got a good spray pattern when each injector was momentarily powered. Perhaps your single stream could become a mist at normal pump pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is possible . I would GUESS the operating fuel pressure to be 45 lbs psi.  

Somewhere in my shop I have a Kent-Moore fuel injector trigger mechanism to trigger GM and Bosch style fuel injectors. You would have to remove the TB to manifold boot and trigger the injector to verify the spray pattern . And this pattern will be an atomized pattern .

• Like 1

I removed each injector, soaked it in cleaner for a bit, then powered each from the battery while using a syringe to force cleaner through it.

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I removed each injector, soaked it in cleaner for a bit, then powered each from the battery while using a syringe to force cleaner through it.

Unless you have a syringe that can generate 45 psi, I don't think that will replicate the actual spray pattern.

• Like 1

Unless you have these injectors cleaned at a fuel injector service facility , you are "pissin' in the wind" . They will clean these in a ultrasonic cleaning tank , test the flow pattern and flow rate them to see if they are a matched set . You want them to be as close to identical as possible .  One of mine was so jacked up , I had to do something . I sent the first pair off and had them reconditioned . after getting them back , I did the same to the other bike . Long term sitting and crummy fuel can do lots of harm . from now on , non-ethanol gasoline and fuel stabilizer .

It is a free country and a person can do anything they want .

"It is a free country and a person can do anything they want ." :lol:

thanks, maybe I'll have them cleaned or altogether replaced, as I've sourced affordable replacementsFirst, I'll try to determine if they are functioning correct or not now.

1 hour ago, GuzziMoto said:

Unless you have a syringe that can generate 45 psi, I don't think that will replicate the actual spray pattern.

a syringe can absolutely produce as much pressure as a spray can.

1 mL (363 ± 197 psi), 3 mL (177 ± 96 psi), 5 mL (73 ± 40 psi), 10 mL (53 ± 29 psi), 20 mL (32 ± 18 psi), and 60 mL (19 ± 12 psi).

Is it possible you don't have original injectors and the prior owner had replaced them.

New ones are not expensive, and new non OEM after market ones are available on Ebay for very reasonable prices if buying OEM is not desired.  

I continue to be able to run the bike by spraying starter fluid. Otherwise, it does not ignite/run. These injectors must not be spraying. It's either they are not being signaled to do so or they are being signaled, but aren't atomizing correctly, thus not lighting. 

Prior to removing them for cleaning or replacement, is there a test to be sure the injectors are getting signaled? Can I hook up a meter to the injector pigtail or something?