On 8/16/2022 at 7:59 PM, pete roper said:

I still have its big brother!

3299881074_c19662e612_b.jpg

850cc of twist and go hilarity!

What is that because I want one.

Aprilia Mana. 850cc SOHC, single throttlebody, 'L' twin, electronically controlled CVT with three automatic ride modes and one 'False Manual' seven speed mode controlled either by a foot lever or buttons n the left switch cluster. It makes low to mid seventies HP and has an absolutely flat torque curve.

Mine, at the time that photo was taken about 12 years ago, had all the factory 'Fruit' on it. The bags, screen, top box etc. we're all expensive Aprilia branded accessories but I was a service agent at the time so I got them.

In keeping with my usual practice I've spent money on suspension and brakes. The original forks were awful but a set of fully adjustables off a Gen2 Tuono, revalved and sprung, fixed up the front and the back wears a fully adjustable Hyperpro. Front brakes are 100mm radial Brembos with HH pads in place of the original 80mm no-names. It stops and handles very well!

They were made from 2008 to 2014, from 2010 onwards you could get the GT model with a very effective frame mounted fairing. I had one in the US and completed a 14,000 mile tour that was enormous fun on it.

A genuine 'Orphan' you can pick them up for next to nothing. They are a superb little motorbike. Very reliable and although there are a couple of big ticket service items, (Belt and valve adjustment.) these have very long intervals. You'll pry mine from my cold dead fingers!

• Like 6
On 11/25/2022 at 4:59 PM, pete roper said:

Aprilia Mana. 850cc SOHC, single throttlebody, 'L' twin, electronically controlled CVT with three automatic ride modes and one 'False Manual' seven speed mode controlled either by a foot lever or buttons n the left switch cluster. It makes low to mid seventies HP and has an absolutely flat torque curve.

Mine, at the time that photo was taken about 12 years ago, had all the factory 'Fruit' on it. The bags, screen, top box etc. we're all expensive Aprilia branded accessories but I was a service agent at the time so I got them.

In keeping with my usual practice I've spent money on suspension and brakes. The original forks were awful but a set of fully adjustables off a Gen2 Tuono, revalved and sprung, fixed up the front and the back wears a fully adjustable Hyperpro. Front brakes are 100mm radial Brembos with HH pads in place of the original 80mm no-names. It stops and handles very well!

They were made from 2008 to 2014, from 2010 onwards you could get the GT model with a very effective frame mounted fairing. I had one in the US and completed a 14,000 mile tour that was enormous fun on it.

A genuine 'Orphan' you can pick them up for next to nothing. They are a superb little motorbike. Very reliable and although there are a couple of big ticket service items, (Belt and valve adjustment.) these have very long intervals. You'll pry mine from my cold dead fingers!

I want one.

Well buy one! As I said, they are cheap as chips! Luggage racks are long out of production but if you can get a set of racks the Givi paniers are universal. There are many screens available but I'd try and get a GT. Stock suspension is better on the GT as well.

• Like 2

I think that is going to be one of the Shiver motors? DOHC rather than the SOHC motor of the Mana.

The Mana motor is much more like a 'Doubled up' Aprilia scooter motor. If you look at the head design of something like a Scarabeo the similarities are obvious. The motor, without the E-CVT, was also used on the 850 SRV scooter and also has another life in a John Deere product! A lawn tractor I think? Albeit de tuned further and with single rather than twin plug heads.