"Patina" is our destiny?

"The best cars wear their stories, dents and all."

Reading this love(er)ly article by James Mills for Hagerty really spoke to me. It reminded me of so many, er, "nuances" that I have allowed, tolerated, ignored, or surrendered to, on mySport.  And the place we are arriving with 20+ year old motorbikes that are, if not "rare", at least vastly uncommon. And if not "peculiar", at least > full of character < (like that uncle who liked to fire off his Napoleonic six-pounder and made his own whisky).  :sun:

Sure, I battled with the finish on the alternator cover time after time. It was becoming a line item in the scheduled maintenance. <_<

Then, it made up it's own mind about what it wanted to be . . .

IMG_7545.jpg

A couple weeks ago, at our local gather-up for coffee and Reubens, a fellow cocked his head and said, "Yo, docc, does that say 'nope' on your bike ?" :o

I had to admit to the "patina" and said, "There are at least three stories behind that. But we're out of beer. Catch you at the "South'n SpineRaid !" ;)

IMG_6717.jpg

Pretty sure we are beyond, "That is not the correct vacuum tap for the 2003 V11." Or, "This V11 LeMans would be more correct with the proper and original _____________ " (fill in the blank).  :nerd:

I'm betting your V11 "patina" could tell some stories "if it could speak" . . .   :thing:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Heh, I thought by now there would be a cascade of "patina" stories, but  . . .

>  nope  <

B)

[ V11-ers have been known to hold their cards kinda close.  :ph34r::ninja:  :whistle: ]

Plastic doesn't patina like metal. Plastic bikes don't age well. My 1989 LeMans is developing some Patina from both age and use. I kind of like it that way and have no intention of restoring it.

• Like 2

My Vintage Red tank is such a rich beautiful color, I'll be repainting the remaining plastics as opposed to embracing the patina. 

With that said, I'm a traditional hot rod fan (Aces Car Club member); all about the patina.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, billgreenman1 said:

Since my body has been exhibiting "patina" for quite a few years, I don't seem to mind it on my motorcycles....

Hey! I resemble that remark! :oldgit:

• 5 months later...

I think all things that could be considered "classic" at some point go through this evolution. 

You can see it in fashion, cars, antique furniture, architecture, etc...  where something is new and popular, eventually falls out of fashion and thus isn't well maintained, eventually to be rediscovered and often initially over-restored, to then reach an equilibrium of appreciation where the few(er) examples that are left in their honest original unrestored "patinaed" state are most appreciated.

All of our motorcycles, including the V11, have some wear and tear. But nothing I would call "patina". As mentioned, plastic doesn't patina like steel and aluminum do. So aside from the alternator cover and valve covers there isn't much patina on the V11. There are wear and tear issues, from where it has had disagreements with gravity and other such moments.

19 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

All of our motorcycles, including the V11, have some wear and tear. But nothing I would call "patina". As mentioned, plastic doesn't patina like steel and aluminum do. So aside from the alternator cover and valve covers there isn't much patina on the V11. There are wear and tear issues, from where it has had disagreements with gravity and other such moments.

I understand your point, and there is for sure the more official definition of "patina" perhaps as related to something like oxidation on metal, but I would also consider and have seen honest wear on even plastics referred as "patina" as a more subjective descriptor in the context of showing the age and life of a motorcycle, automobile, etc. 

One even often hears patina used to describe the wear, finish and wood oxidation for example on original antique furniture.

And of course paint definitely can have a patina as it ages, wears, and oxidizes.  And many consider that as a positive thing, preferring that patinaed paint to a new repaint, whether that paint is on metal or plastic.

One sees this appreciation of "original patina and condition" on collectible automobiles, motorcycles, etc... more frequently discussed in recent years, especially those that are exceptionally rare or special such as original racing examples.

Considering that perhaps more broad use of the term, I can definitely see the V11 Sport models acquiring patina over time, and that patina being considered valuable especially for all-original or age/time-appropriate modified examples.

• Like 3

I like my motorbikes to look like they came out of the assembly line yesterday. Independently of their millesime.

I am not so much on time erosion.

My V11 exhibits plenty of signs it has been here and there, and some of them make me cringe and unhappy.

My right hand side initially immaculate exhaust has a small scratch, after I dropped the bike. Each time I wash the Le Mans, I try to ignore that it is there, but I can't, and it brings pain. I considered replacing that exhaust just for that, but Stay in Tune did not Stay in business.

When I was young, a friend of mine had her nose broken playing sport. The patina rationale did not hold water. The nose job did....

There is also a great debate on artificially aged guitars. All my guitars look like new. I take great care of them. If you follow a little bit the guitar market, you will find out that people are willing to pay more to purchase a guitar that looks like it was used and abused for several years.

So, I guess Patina makes sense. Not to me though.

I like my glaciers to remain as they were before...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:15 AM, Scud said:

Plastic doesn't patina like metal. Plastic bikes don't age well. My 1989 LeMans is developing some Patina from both age and use. I kind of like it that way and have no intention of restoring it.

That's how I am with my 02. My candy red is turning to a slight red/orange from the desert sun. I thought about a repaint, but the fade kinda brings it character.

• Like 1

My valve covers are faded like most Rosso's. Since most people don't color match the original paint correctly for resprays, I'd rather run them faded.

IMG_6615.jpg

• Like 1

Those covers started off kind of orange anyway, right? Like the Rosso Corsa and Nero Corsa that don't match anything else on the bike (porkchops were darker red). 

• Like 3

hmm......I do agree to some point about 'patina' it makes an old bike 'original',  untouched.

BUT the bright candy red that WAS the essence of the bike has faded over the  22  years and has a couple of minor marks in it..I'd like to put it and the rest of the paint back to as it was when new...the grey tailpiece has faded as has the side panels and the red pork chops....the carbon looks dull in comparison to as it was too..

BUT finding paint codes is proving impossible, many paint people say they can replicate it but its a gamble, will I be disappointed....