Reusable silicon gaskets

LaGrasta

After discovering an oil sprayed pant leg some years ago, I purchased these reusable valve cover gaskets for my V7. I've reused the same set ever since. I plan to purchase the same for my V11 once it's up and running and I adjust the valves. 

https://realgaskets.com/cart/

NOTE: I have no affiliation with this company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another plus for these, I've recently also installed them on my V11 Scura...very nice quality. 

Docc will be pleased too since they are made in Tennessee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, PJPR01 said:

Another plus for these, I've recently also installed them on my V11 Scura...very nice quality. 

Docc will be pleased too since they are made in Tennessee!

A couple years ago at the South'n SpineRaid, one our generous (Tennessee) members handed out some of these gaskets as party favors. :drink:

I keep the valve cover gaskets in the pannier as spares.  Sometimes, there are just not enough hands on deck to properly construct gaskets from scratch . . .

Spine%20gasket_zpsasbc8z4k.jpg

• Like 1

I also had that problem. The gasket was sucked in. Thought the P.O. just didn't know how to install a valve cover gasket, but the number of people reporting this makes wonder. Docc talks about his original valve cover gaskets and that's fine for him, but some people seem to have an unnatural amount vacuum in their crankcase. A little bit of vacuum is a great thing but too much is going to pull blow by gases through the wrist pin.

My bike pissed on the leg of my Stitch and I don't want my new Stitch baptized in the same manner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Same here . On my way back from Jonesboro ,Ill. Brand new boots and one shoe was oil soaked by the time I got home . The gasket was so messed up , I wondered if the wrong gasket was on it ? Never knew it til I got home .

• Like 1

These are a sub optimal solution. The Gold standard are Valpolini metal core gaskets with integral sealer coating. Same style and principle as the late model BB front timing cover gaskets and every engine cover gaskets Ducati have used for the last 25 years. Bullet proof sealing and zero chance of squeeze failure. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

I've used them.  Had them tear.  And find they're difficult to reuse once they get a little bent.   I advise anyone as ham fisted as me to always carry a couple of spares if they're going overnight or longer.  I find it's easiest to glue paper ones with grease to the head and install the cover over it.  The silicone gaskets like to squirm around.  

I know some riders that have never changed out the paper gasket and never had a problem.  Man, they're good. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I've used them.  Had them tear.  And find they're difficult to reuse once they get a little bent.   I advise anyone as ham fisted as me to always carry a couple of spares if they're going overnight or longer.  I find it's easiest to glue paper ones with grease to the head and install the cover over it.  The silicone gaskets like to squirm around.  

I know some riders that have never changed out the paper gasket and never had a problem.  Man, they're good. 

It's ancient technology. These.

https://www.valpolini.com/index.php/home-en/prodotto?&fID=1574

Phil

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Much better idea.  The local wrench in Tulsa liked those.  The question was whether they fit.   If so, why in the world wasn't this a superseded part?

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Much better idea.  The local wrench in Tulsa liked those.  The question was whether they fit.   If so, why in the world wasn't this a superseded part?

The crimped stainless steel gasket with a pressure sensitive sealant coating is a leap forward in gasket sealing over the old style composite and it's variations in different materials. The "crimp" in the metal base acts like a spring to adapt to changes in the joint due to thermal expansion etc or in the case of an MLS head gasket variations in temps between say the bore bridge area and the outer circumference of the cylinder. They also adapt to the rigors of high stress engines that can sometimes suffer from "head lift" and still maintain a seal. The pressure sensitive coating function is self evident. Brilliant things and cheap to buy. A must fit to the BB front engine cover anytime you have it off.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pete roper said:

They'll fit any squarefin motor John. They might even work with roundfins but the fit will be a bit sketchy. Bolt pattern is the same though.

That was question when I talked to Donnie about them.  He said they worked much better but that Guzzi didn't show them as applicable.  I suppose he meant that they fit but just didn't match Guzzi's direction?  I suppose I just misunderstood him.  Yeah, he had problems with leaking valve cover gaskets too.

14 hours ago, LowRyter said:

"And find they're difficult to reuse once they get a little bent."

You must be speaking of something else. Impossible, these cannot bend.

• Like 2

I tried a set of the silicon realgaskets and went back to stock paper after getting leaks from squeeze issues.  There seems to be a narrow window of correct torque for the cover hold down bolts and I never found it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1