Griso rear caliper

Bill Hagan

So, there I wuz ... attempting to fix, as I mentioned in the SSR thred -- 

-- a self-inflicted wiring issue involving my Griso's speed-sensor cable.

In the course of that, I managed to screw up, this time in a more serious way.  :o

Even tho I always use a torque wrench and tighten to 50 Nm, somehow I stripped the threads in the rear caliper's mounting upper mounting hole. 

So ... while that sure is a critical 10mm fastener, any reason I can't helicoil (or similar)?

I am not in the mood to spend <$400 for Mr. Brown to bring me a new one.

Speaking of Mr. Brown, he'll bring me a new speed-sensor cable tomorrow, but if what I did today in splicing those wires with Haisstronica butt connectors works, I may put off that installation.

In the meantime, I would be grateful for your thoughts on the helicoil or other options.  

FWIW, the former is c.$40 for the one size on Amazon; a Chinesium brand, Orion -- tho Helicoil is likely made there now, too! -- multi-size is $35!  https://tinyurl.com/OrionThread-Repair-Kit

Thanks for your counsel.  Be kind.  ;)

Bill

• docc changed the title to Griso rear caliper
17 minutes ago, docc said:

I recall knowledgeable contributors here emphasizing "Time-Sert " as the best thread repair insert:

http://www.timesert.com/

I seem to recall that discussion now.

I remain, however, somewhat confused -- my usual state -- as to ordering .  

The fastener is a M10x30; a 1.25 thread pitch I think.  But most of the "tunnel" from flange to stop is unthreaded.  Seems a pretty short throw for a thread fix, but the billet aluminum threads held it, so the steel fix surely should, assuming, of course, that it has enough space to seat.

Bill

• Like 1

Timeserts are the biz but a helicoil will work just fine Bill.

While it's off the bike I'd suggest taking the pads out and removing the caliper from the pins it slides on, cleaning them and re-greasing. If this isn't done from time to time the caliper will seize on the pins and then you'll have to give someone $400!:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

I seem to recall that discussion now.

I remain, however, somewhat confused -- my usual state -- as to ordering .  

The fastener is a M10x30; a 1.25 thread pitch I think.  But most of the "tunnel" from flange to stop is unthreaded.  Seems a pretty short throw for a thread fix, but the billet aluminum threads held it, so the steel fix surely should, assuming, of course, that it has enough space to seat.

Bill

I buy Timeserts from these guys- https://www.mechanicstoolsandbits.com/time-sert/metric-kits/metric-kits-/time-sert-1012-m10-x-1-25mm-metric-thread-repair-kit.html

The kits aren't cheap, but a lot less than a new caliper. I don't have a 10mm kit or I'd just send it along. If the entry side of the hole is unthreaded, you can use a short insert and install it from the rear. Being such a critical point, I'd expect there is plenty of material surrounding the repair area but give it some consideration. A Time-sert removes just a bit more material than a Heli-coil.

• Like 2