Forum continuity

docc

Deepest sympathies to those connected with the loss associated with the respected Griso Ghetto forum. :(

I have grown to see the Griso as the successor to the V11 and, likely, last iteration of the venerable Moto Guzzi BigBlock we have come to love. :mg:  

The sad events that have occurred on that forum have raised the concern for the continuity of V11LeMans.com. I had a conversation with Jaap and it was decided to open the discussion to our devoted membership

The difficult question: Can we, and how can we, preserve this V11 archive without the content hinging on one (or two) individuals?  Is there such a thing as a community funded digital trust?  :huh2:

I mean, let's face it. No one ever thought such a specialized forum/board would hold together this long, already. :oldgit:  <_<  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

What a community! Y'all rock ! :drink:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• docc changed the title to Forum continuity
On 9/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, docc said:

Deepest sympathies to those connected with the loss associated with the respected Griso Ghetto forum. :(

I have grown to see the Griso as the successor to the V11 and, likely, last iteration of the venerable Moto Guzzi BigBlock we have come to love. :mg:  

The sad events that have occurred on that forum have raised the concern for the continuity of V11LeMans.com. I had a conversation with Jaap and it was decided to open the discussion to our devoted membership

The difficult question: Can we, and how can we, preserve this V11 archive without the content hinging on one (or two) individuals?  Is there such a thing as a community funded digital trust?  :huh2:

I mean, let's face it. No one ever thought such a specialized forum/board would hold together this long, already. :oldgit:  <_<  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

What a community! Y'all rock ! :drink:

Man. I hope something like what you propose is possible.  I would gladly support any transition costs as requested.  I constantly send outside V11 folks here.

(Off topic a bit but here goes ...A guy I met thru facebook just purchased a V11 in Indiana, I think, and was gonna ride it home to CA.  I mentioned carrying a spare shift return spring with him and pointed him to the thread for design/development.  Told him to PM SCUD for a new "indestructible" spring.  Long story short, he got it, packed it, and somewhere half way back, sure enough, the shift spring broke.  He found some assistance and he was shortly back on his way).

Soo, none of this would have been possible with all the "spring engineers/testers/manufacturers/supply chain" here on the V11 forum.  You guys basically saved his trip without knowing it even happened.

Money is sitting here ready to support docc' suggestion.  This site has to be saved for posterity and accessible for all those V11 owners/mechanics  20, 30, 40 years from now.

• Like 9

@Tom in Virginia That rider shared his fabulous adventure with us on this forum.

As far as succession planning and data preservation go, a small group of people should probably know how to access the site as the top-tier owner/admin. The site belongs to @Admin Jaap, and @docc is an obvious candidate to have a spare set of "keys to the kingdom."  But in the event of simultaneous meteor strikes in Varsseveld and Middle Tennessee would anybody else know how to access the administrative back-end of the site or know who to pay to keep it hosted?

• Like 7

Yes, wondering what will it take to keep things going, sure hope it can be solved.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3

This is in short what I wrote to Docc about the continuity of v11lemans.com...

I am the owner of the domain name, but it could go on under a different name f.i. guzziv11.com That's easy.

I also have the site hosted on my server: Maybe it's an option to migrate the forum/hosting to a different server. 
The software company could do the migration and offers hosting plans, but the cheapest is $ 49,- per month: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy
You'd have to have multiple owners, so that in case of an emergency someone else could take over. Don't know how that would work administratively, but I could drop a line to the software company and inform myself.

Another option is giving Docc (or someone else that can be trusted :-) ) access to the server so that he can download all files/database in case of an emergency on my part - whatever supernatural entity you prefer forbid - and set up a different hosting environment. You'd need someone savvy that can handle this data and setup the website. The only problem you'd have is access to technical updates. But that person should als make an account at the software firm: https://invisioncommunity.com/ To me this seems to be the most viable option. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm new to v11 ownership and this forum.  I'm learning a lot here and think it is an awesome place to learn about all things guzzi.

I've worked many years in website development & cloud computing.  Willing to help out in whatever way I can.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1