Pinlock Helmet Insert Pushpins

Riding through the drizzling fog, back-and-forth over the TN/NC Cherohala Skyway at SSR XVIII, wreaked havoc with the faceshield visibility on my new-ish AGV SportModular.

The event made me wonder how much the Pin-Lock might have mitigated that.

Otherwise, I've heard they can be a hassle . . . :huh2:

This time of the year, it's a must, 7c tonight, and snow sticks up already :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, docc said:

Riding through the drizzling fog, back-and-forth over the TN/NC Cherohala Skyway at SSR XVIII, wreaked havoc with the faceshield visibility on my new-ish AGV SportModular.

The event made me wonder how much the Pin-Lock might have mitigated that.

Otherwise, I've heard they can be a hassle . . . :huh2:

It works.  I'm not sure what the hassle is?  The pinlocks are preinstalled on Shoei helmets.  I suppose that you could bugger the shield in your AGV by spacing the holes wrong?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

This time of the year, it's a must, 7c tonight, and snow sticks up already :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

It's freaking 95 degrees here today.  Too hot to light the grill.  But you appreciate the Pinlock?  Works in rain and cold.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LowRyter said:

It works.  I'm not sure what the hassle is?  The pinlocks are preinstalled on Shoei helmets.  I suppose that you could bugger the shield in your AGV by spacing the holes wrong?

This AGV is PinLock capable. So was my last (ever) Shoei. I've lust :blush: "just" never used the feature, so don't know what to think of the advantages/disadvantages.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, docc said:

This AGV is PinLock capable. So was my last (ever) Shoei. I've lust never used the feature, so don't know what to think of the advantages/disadvantages.

Did your helmets come with the inserts and pushpins installed in the visor?  If so, just try it out.  It does work. 

I'll agree that venting the helmet by slightly opening the visor works too.   The problem with all my helmets, is that once I get over 40mph the visor shuts and then it fogs up.  I remember a few years ago, I was heading back from Arkansas, a cold front came in and it was 28 with snow furries.  I had anticipated the weather and brought winter gear, all to the envy of my fellow riders going back to Texas.  Anyway, I tried to vent the helmet, it was absolutely miserable.  I rode about an hour and half and got to Springdale and stopped at McDonalds for breakfast.  I come up with a solution by folding some napkins and stuffing them in user the visor.  It worked.  By the time I got home it was almost 50 degrees and a great ride there after.

My issue with this helmet is that I just left the insert in full time. So when I took it apart to clean it, the brittle pins broke.  It also has a little distortion, I don't it was due to use or just a small consequence.   After all, two different viewing layers, it's going to have some distortions.  

BTW Docc, not quite what I "lust" for.  B)

• Haha 1

My Shoei GTAir has pinlocks and an anti fogging sheet(s?). I've never gone to the trouble of figuring out how they work and using it; I just crack the visor open a bit as needed.

In warmer weather that opened visor has let a wasp fly inside my helmet, that made for a little excitement and a quick stop,lol. In cold weather bugs usually aren't an issue.

In real cold weather, I wear a thin balaclava that I pull up over my mouth & nose, it aids a lot in managing the fogging issue.

fwiw

• Like 2

And usually a new visor with pinlock every year. Then normaly no need to take the pinlock out. If I do, I lift it up from the senter of the lock. 

Cheers Tom.

After all, two different viewing layers, it's going to have some distortions.  

That is my issue with them. It doesn't bother most people, but optical distortion really bothers me for some reason. For instance, I can't do VR.. I'll get nauseous.