VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Revilo

3 hours ago, Revilo said:

Ahh. One of those! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a good look at it. 

Looking at the wiring diagram I can see now why that might be the problem. Thanks

Sorry for the abbreviated reply, @Revilo . . .

Be certain to use a High Current "Best Relay" in that rather demanding, and failure prone, position . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, Tomchri said:

I have a few OEM used ones, that can be had for 40£ each + shipping. I went for Shindengen 847, working great, connects directly to the battery so no strain to the electrical system. Roadstercycle in CA.

Cheers Tom.

I've read some interesting threads on some Ducati and Aprilia forums about this rectifier.

This might benefit from a short write-up with some photos to show how you wired the Shindengen 847 and where and how you mounted it :thumbsup:

The most common Shindengen purchased on Ducatis that I know of is the Shindengen is the FH020AA, these cost a lot less than the 847.

I recall a couple of guys posted on WG that they had installed FH020AAAs into Sports, which use the same charging system as the V11 and were running without issue, but caveat emptor, personally I've no idea what it might do to alternator life.

Beware of Chinese "look-a-likeys" on the Bay of Fleas and elsewhere for the FH020AAAs going for stupidly little money, I very much doubt they're Shindengen units or built to the same specs.

As I recall it was @Kiwi_Roy that told me the OEM reg/recs in the bikes were the series type, which is unusual, the 847 is a series type regulator.

Shunt regulators short circuit the alternator, so large current flow and can cause the alternator to get hot EDIT The Reg/Rec also gets hot, perhaps the reason the OEM Ducati Reg/Recs fail (which are shunts, at least it was on my 1098)

Series open ciricuit the alternator, so no current flows and the alternator runs cool, but a high voltage can be generated in the stator windings

IMHO the series type is far superior.

Both the FH020AAA and 847 are 3 phase regulators, so to use them for the single phase alternators, that are in the Sports and V11, one phase is not used, effectively cutting the output rating by 1/3rd. The alternator output on the Sports and V11 are not high enough for this to be an issue, but don't take my word and double check anyway.

The 847s are very spendy, but if I develop any reg/rec issues with the Sport it's definately what I intend to use

Roadster Cycle sell them and also have some good info about them

https://roadstercycle.com/

• Thanks 1

G'day folk's

I've had a Shendengan reg/rec on mine since 2010 and not had an issue ever since.

Ha ha the only downside...

It does away with the charge (battery) light on the dash.  

Went through the old receipts to see if Brad (Brad the Bike Boy) mentioned a part # but all I have is...

Shendengan1 ( Duc 3 phase non gen ) $181.81 back in 2010 here in the land of Oz.

I remember Brad telling me at the time that these were the best and coming from him I'd take it as gospel!

Cheers Guzzler

• Thanks 1