Will not downshift

dbarb3

Well I am resigned to send it to a shop, about the only 2 I know of are Hamlin and Cadre and they are both 500M away.  Any suggestions? 

Not sure if I can or will haul it in back of pickup or pay shipper.  

Given the price, effort and time of working with such a remote shop, perhaps you should consider swapping out for a known good transmission. It's a fair amount of work, but it would also allow you to inspect and/or service the clutch while you're at it. There are several topics here with photos of how people have removed the transmission by "crabbing" the frame. 

• Like 2

Well, for what it's worth, check the indexing of the shift lever on the shaft coming out of the transmission.  Mine was way off, causing the lever to hit the frame on downshifts.  Once set up properly and adjusted for your preferences via the shaft between the transmission and the shifter lever, shifts like a dream, both up and down

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Short version is that stewgnu is the winner, long version is weeks of aggravation

After numerous take off and reinstalls of the selector box and sending it back and forth to Hamlin, a gentlemen named Dave Blue who worked for Guzzi for years came by and completely disassembled/reassembled the selector box and adjusted eccentric starting from scratch.  He cant understand how it worked fine for 6K miles when it was way out.  Dave was passing thru and had to leave so I reassembled and it shifted much better but was not returning to center every time and we knew center spring was good.   

This is where it gets Guzzi weird, I took off shifter box one last time to see if I could see anything obviously wrong, nothing.  I reassembled it with the intent of burning it if I couldn't get it corrected.   Went on a ride and shifted perfectly and has for 600 miles now.

Good grief.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Dave is an awesome guy.. was a Guzzi tech rep for years. The cam and lifters in the AeroLario came from Dave.

+1 !!   :notworthy:   Dave Blue is an awesome guy!   :mg:   :thumbsup:

The real answer is lucky phil is the winner.

His excellent thread on the spring replacement said to ensure precise adjustment of the eccentric prior to re-fitting- which i took note of and realised was my problem when it wouldn’t shift after (the second) installment.

There’s not much room for error.

• Like 6