Last year in December we paid 2.89/gallon for oil.  (Massacusetts) Today we paid 4.67 that is a 47% increase in the price of oil.  Additionally, last January we put in a new oil burning furnace.  We were shocked to find the state no longer offers rebates for new equipment, and only wants to incentivise electric heat (furnace guy told me this). The state didn't publish their 2022 incentives in January, not until February but we were't grandfathered in to 2021 which did have oil burner incentives, just got rejected.

Wrote all my state and federal reps.  One responded his aid could help us get money from state if we qualified for low income heating assistance....Thank you for your response.  Rather frustrating answer.  How do you explain a near 50% increase in less than 1 year?  It's outrageous.  What are the root causes?  Is anyone on Beacon Hill talking about this?  Surely there are some policy decisions you are able to vote on that are in some way related.

Are you able to speak to people in the state government who do have influence on oil prices or the regulations to reintroduce incentives to homeowners for buying new oil burning home heating systems and not just electric heat?  Is the only option for voters accepting state funded handouts?

The root of the rise in petroleum product prices in the US is that Europe has to import a huge amount to make up for the tomfoolery in Ukraine and Russia. You, and I, are paying for the economic pressure NATO is bringing to bear on Russia.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about that. I know a lot of people rely on oil heat in the US Northeast. Here in California, we're getting ready to ban sales of new natural gas heaters (in 2030). So I guess electricians will be busy installing new sub-panels in homes to provided dedicated power to heaters. I've got solar panels going up in a few weeks - Federal tax credit of 30%, combined with reduced electrical bill (and protection against future electric rate hikes) makes this an easy financial decision.

• Like 1

European tomfoolery no doubt plays a part but clearly the war against oil production in this country has a considerable effect on US prices. And the price uptick began well before.

I had oil heat in the late 80's in a large historic home in the Indiana countryside. I don't recall the price then but I do remember thinking how expensive it was compared to my former home with natural gas. Partly due no doubt to the inefficiency of the oil burner. It made a lovely humid heat though. My local Co-OP offered to install a complete geothermal system for free if I switched. (I had to buy the materials) I ended up moving. Check with your local Co-Op and see what they will do. They gave me a new water heater and install when I allowed a metering device. Maybe they have a plan.

mikev - take the "handout". It's your money anyway so it's really a handback. I'd ask the feds for some too. If they give solar incentives to states with lots of sunshine, where solar makes sense, why not an equal contribution for residents of a state with 30-40% less sunshine, and solar may not be as smart.

At least in Indiana, the winter assistance program is a state operation but it's fed money and they have to spend it to get more.

Seems like you should get something for the efficiency increase from the new furnace. aggravating.

8 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

The root of the rise in petroleum product prices in the US is that Europe has to import a huge amount to make up for the tomfoolery in Ukraine and Russia. You, and I, are paying for the economic pressure NATO is bringing to bear on Russia.

The war is part of the answer, the other is the Go Green or else policies that predated any war. I’m from KY where my company I work for is exposed to many industrial job sites, power plants and Coal mines included. During the Obama era, the EPA pressured TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) to not keep their coal power plants up to date w regulations. In turn by default, a local Powerplant, TVA Paradise (historically powered the eastern US power grid, not Ky) was completely closed a couple years ago, without the ability to reverse course, a total tear down. There is a natural gas power-plant planned for its replacement, 👍🏼 but without a major gas pipeline to supply it. 🤔

While visiting Gibson Co coal in South Western Indiana recently, I asked who are some of the major buyers at the mine. I was surprised to learn, a large portion was being bought by Germany to supply their newly reopened coal power-plants. (4500 miles away). 😮

So cheap American coal energy is bypassing shuttered local power plants to supply German power plants, to keep the lights on (hopefully) during the Ukraine/Russian war.

What a cluster of go Green policies gone haywire.

🤷🏻‍♂️ Sorry about the cheaper energy coal in my backyard rant.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

What else is new :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1