home heating oil rant

You can burn diesel in an oil furnace, and you can burn heating oil for an oil furnace in a diesel engine (although it is illegal to do so as it is tax fraud). For all intent the two are interchangeable.

I view the current situation as a reminder that we really need to become less dependent on fossil fuels. For example, even though the US pumps enough oil out of the ground to cover most or all of the oil we consume, we are still subject to the global oil market as oil is a global commodity. If the world price of oil goes up the price of oil in the US goes up regardless of where the oil came from. While there is no easy light switch solution, it so happens that green energy is often also less volatile.

• Like 1
On 12/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, gstallons said:

What is a subsidence survey ?

Without knowing for sure, I assume it is a survey to check if the house is showing signs of damage due to subsidence resulting from mining activity.

That is apparently a big issue in some areas in Gemany (Ruhr Valley, for instance...) where black coal has been mined for so long that it is more or less all gone. I saw a documentary on that a while back on T.V. . The spoke of up to 2 metres subsidence.

• Like 1

What he said, it would determine if the house / property is suffering from subsidence. That is, the property settling due to possible mining activity underneath the property. Subsidence can be caused by other causes, but in this case I assume that it is possible mining activity that they are concerned with.

• Like 2
On 12/27/2022 at 5:36 AM, gstallons said:

What is a subsidence survey ?

Basically a geology report to know that the house wouldn't sink because of coal mining, IIRC. 

I was getting a paid move from my job.  They hired an outside firm to help with the sale and even buy my house.  I found a buyer that beat their price but somehow, they're hooks in the process required the survey even though they were a 3rd party (non buyer).  Luckily they didn't screw up the sale.  I protested when they threw up this red flag in the middle of the sale that I'd made.  Anyway, I signed the papers and they got their hooks into the deal.  It's not like I sell a house everyday and never had a contractor "assist" with bait of them buying my house.  

• Like 1