3 hours ago, gstallons said:

Going farther off the subject , I talked to a Texan about the wood he preferred to BBQ with and he stunned me when he said "pecan" . 

Now , when my job plays out , we are going to have to get together and "pig out" .

Was that because he pronounced it Puh Kahn instead of Pee Can? 😀😀

Some people mix a little pecan with mesquite…also quite tasty.

BBQ is so particular…have to agree on leaving the sauce off or just using a tiny bit for a dip or two.  Proper brisket, bark done right is an all day job…I appreciate the time people spend cooking it, it’s much easier just to eat it!

There was no BBQ at our Texas Guzzi rally this past weekend, but we had good pasta and meat sauce!

Headed to Black’s BBQ in Lockhart Texas next weekend to bag another 10 stops on the Tour of Texas…two years ago we had 10 Guzzi riders show up in Lockhart on a whim just for the BBQ!  

• Like 2

Since as a young child, my parents would take us to Han's BBQ in OKC (forever gone), I was raised a BBQ snob.  Later as a college kid, my girlfriend, now wife and I would eat at Bob's BBQ in Ada OK (gone too).   That set the bar pretty high.  I'm talking pork spare ribs but the other stuff (beef brisket, chicken) was good too.  Hickory smoked. 

I'll give it up to Lockhart style BBQ, beef, savory, I think they use oak in their big pits.  The style is prevalent across south central TX.   Having lived in San Antonio in the early '80s, I was disappointed in the BBQ, although it's one of the best towns on the world.  If I had known about Lockhart, I would have changed my mind about TX BBQ.  Nothing like a huge beef spare rib.

We have a few local places that are good here in OKC, sometimes great.  I don't think we can do beef, since they like to use that red BBQ seasoning that's so good on pork.  

On 10/3/2022 at 5:23 PM, PJPR01 said:

Come on down next weekend John...plenty of good riding too.

I'm reminded that last year at New Year's we were in Nashville, and had some BBQ there as well, can't remember the place right downtown.  It was far over seasoned by burnt black pepper with little of the juicy flavor of meat even though the meat was good quality.  I don't know if that's typical or atypical of Nashville BBQ, but it wasn't something I'd go back for...

I don't think there is anything "typical" about BBQ in Tennessee. They tend to each strive for their own thing or just do something unremarkable, but saleable. Then there is the matter of the "sides" which can also be out of a can or amazing and unique.

Seriously, our hands-down best local BBQ is Shaffer's Meat Market and Texas Bar-B-Q near Lawrenceburg (Closer to Florence, Alabama, than Nashville). I haven't been in a while since the line is always out the door. (Sounds like a recurring theme with best BBQ . . . )

visit-lawrenceburg-tn-shaffers-meat-mark

4 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Was that because he pronounced it Puh Kahn instead of Pee Can? 😀😀

Some people mix a little pecan with mesquite…also quite tasty.

BBQ is so particular…have to agree on leaving the sauce off or just using a tiny bit for a dip or two.  Proper brisket, bark done right is an all day job…I appreciate the time people spend cooking it, it’s much easier just to eat it!

There was no BBQ at our Texas Guzzi rally this past weekend, but we had good pasta and meat sauce!

Headed to Black’s BBQ in Lockhart Texas next weekend to bag another 10 stops on the Tour of Texas…two years ago we had 10 Guzzi riders show up in Lockhart on a whim just for the BBQ!  

Pee Can, it’s what you take on a road trip to Florida.

• Like 2

Joe set the pronunciation correctly . Puh-kahn is what we pick up out of the yard . Puh-kahn limbs are also what we pick up out of the yard too . 

Pee-can is what I carry w/me AT ALL TIMES ! I take enuf Lasix to drain a lake .

You can tell Northern people because they blaspheme a lot of words . Puh-kahn they call pee-can . A sodee they say pop . They put Gs on the ends of words . It goes on .....

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

We missed all this, we were off on a trip out to South Dakota with the Jeep pulling our RV trailer. Hit the Black Hills and the Badlands.

While out there we had some good BBQ in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. Pete's BBQ.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7851445,-98.7850115,3a,75y,345.3h,85.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp87qiMvCS_rf1w9fgw_Shw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

We nearly missed the place as it did not look anywhere near as inviting as it looks in the google street image. It looked closed and maybe abandoned. But the Briskets was really good, and I was glad we ate there.

And I always prefer to not add BBQ sauce to what they serve. If they wanted it slathered in BBQ sauce they would have done so. If it needs more sauce than it is served with something is wrong. Adding sauce after cooking seems like the cooking process was lacking. Most of the best BBQ I have had required no additional sauce over what it was cooked with. 

Also found a great place to eat in the middle of nowhere western Nebraska. Next time out that way we will adjust our route to hit that spot again. Also found a great hot dog joint in Athens, Ohio. O' Bette's Red Hots.

• Like 2

Sittting at the counter Saturday , I realized "all men are equal (only) at a BBQ stand . You will see farm hands sitting next to Judges and they have one thing in common . a good sandwich ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so just got home from a work trip where I traveled through western KY. I was told by a local to try Swaggy P's BBQ, man am I glad I did. I ordered a bowl of KY burgoo and a smoked bologna sandwich. The KY burgoo had such good taste from the smoked meat and a kick of heat that lasted for a few hours down the road. During the process of smoking bologna it changes and creates an unreal taste, simply put both were Western KY BBQ perfection:P:

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

• Like 3