1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

add scrapple to something that I don't what it is.  along with curds and poutine....I wouldn't know this stuff if I saw it, don't know what's in it, muchless what it tastes like.   I'm not sure if you're making these out as regional delicacies or something to avoid.  I'm guessing the latter.  

You might want to eat scrapple a few times before knowing what it is .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
9 hours ago, LowRyter said:

add scrapple to something that I don't what it is.  along with curds and poutine....I wouldn't know this stuff if I saw it, don't know what's in it, muchless what it tastes like.   I'm not sure if you're making these out as regional delicacies or something to avoid.  I'm guessing the latter.  

I'm not a cheese expert,I don't understand the science that well,so for sure I couldn't explain it,but I think that cheese curds are formed on the surface of some type of cheese process and scooped up floating on the top of the whey? They're curly rubbery little pieces of salty cheese about the size of a frito chip.

A regular Poutine is just good french fries,covered in a hot brown gravy with a bunch of fresh cheese curds sprinkled on top. What makes a great Poutine for me,is that halfway point where the curds are melting into the hot gravy,but still have a bit of firmness to bite into.

This Pannhass or Scrapple you guys are talking about,sounds similar to what we'd call fried hash up here. Whatever leftover meat or veggies happened to be around,tossed into a hot oiled cast iron pan with garlic & onions for a base and usually buffed out with potatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I'm not a cheese expert,I don't understand the science that well,so for sure I couldn't explain it,but I think that cheese curds are formed on the surface of some type of cheese process and scooped up floating on the top of the whey? They're curly rubbery little pieces of salty cheese about the size of a frito chip.

A regular Poutine is just good french fries,covered in a hot brown gravy with a bunch of fresh cheese curds sprinkled on top. What makes a great Poutine for me,is that halfway point where the curds are melting into the hot gravy,but still have a bit of firmness to bite into.

This Pannhass or Scrapple you guys are talking about,sounds similar to what we'd call fried hash up here. Whatever leftover meat or veggies happened to be around,tossed into a hot oiled cast iron pan with garlic & onions for a base and usually buffed out with potatoes. 

mmm mmm  

12 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Scrapple and its relatives are what they sound like, making use of the parts that no one wants (at least that is the way I see it). And while to some they are a delicacy, to me and my wife (who used to have to eat Scrapple as a kid growing up on a farm) they are to be avoided. The wife tells me the way she would eat her Scrapple is to smoother it in Ketchup.

Poutine, on the other hand, sounds like something good to eat. I really shouldn't put Poutine in the same boat as Scrapple, Pannhass, and Puddin'. But for some reason I got started down that road when Poutine was mentioned.

By comparison, Menudo is pretty good.  Actually, the time I had it, it was OK, actually good.

On 12/2/2022 at 6:27 PM, 80CX100 said:

Cheese curds are the beginnings of cheese. They are what you think they are, a result of separating the curds and whey. Then, in most cases, they undergo additional processing to make various kinds of cheese. But you can eat them as they are. They have less flavor typically then the cheeses that would be made from them. But they taste fine as is. In a way they are like concentrated milk.

I love meat, but am not much for the various organs and other parts of an animal that aren't "meat". But certainly if I have to eat stuff like that it is better to have more spices involved, rather then less.

• Like 1

Organ meat?  Back when we were married you could find beef heart in the supermarket.  It was cheap and she could really cook it.  I'd like to try it again but we argue how she used  to cook it.  My memory is much more appetizing than hers.  

While we're at it, nothing like liverwurst on a sandwich or some fried chicken gizzards.  

When I was a teenager on the south side of Chicago in the 60's I used to go to a couple great black owned BBQ shops there ..  They had the best Hot deep fried Chicken Gizzards and Chicken livers  crispy and spicy hot as hell..you could buy a small bag, enough for lunch  for a couple bucks..made to order.

I cant eat that stuff now.

• Haha 1

I like to keep of list of good BBQ when I travel or get the urge at home.

Somebody should start a list.  As folks try the recommendations, then edit the list or give  *** STAR ratings.

I've never tried the white sauce chicken BBQ in Alabama.  Driven by the place on may way to Daytona or Barber but didn't eat there.  Tried some BBQ downtown B'ham, not rendered or smoked, so no stars.  I'm a BBQ snob for sure.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, leroysch said:

Looking forward to the end of their marketing promotion....

20221206_184441%5B1%5D.jpg

I don’t recall seeing this item for sale last year when we visited the distillery picking up several bottles of heart warming liquid!!  That will have to be corrected with a return visit!  

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

Those enamored with faux bourbon from Lynchburg, Tullahoma, and similar Volunteer State wannabes should reflect that when folks flush their toilets -- or leave their privies! :grin: -- in Kentucky, the results flow to Tennessee.  :D

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2