1 hour ago, Bill Hagan said:

^^^^^^^

Those enamored with faux bourbon from Lynchburg, Tullahoma, and similar Volunteer State wannabes should reflect that when folks flush their toilets -- or leave their privies! :grin: -- in Kentucky, the results flow to Tennessee.  :D

Bill

That is pretty funny. But you forget that the outhouse is still pretty common in Kentucky. And the result is there is no flush and it stays right there in Kentucky, so they can make Bourbon out of it.

To be fair, Jack Daniels doesn't pretend to be "Bourbon". It is Whiskey, and darn fine Whiskey at that. I usually have at least one bottle of Jack in the house. I do prefer better Whiskies, but I rarely drink Bourbon. To many better options out there.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

That is pretty funny. But you forget that the outhouse is still pretty common in Kentucky. And the result is there is no flush and it stays right there in Kentucky, so they can make Bourbon out of it.

To be fair, Jack Daniels doesn't pretend to be "Bourbon". It is Whiskey, and darn fine Whiskey at that. I usually have at least one bottle of Jack in the house. I do prefer better Whiskies, but I rarely drink Bourbon. To many better options out there.

I almost don't know where to begin, but this is a good start. I have many Indian motorcycle buddies that swear by Gentleman Jack, and its really good. They visited the KY Bourbon Trail over the summer and tried Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, & loved it. Is one better than the other is a personal choice, but KY corn-based, barrel aged whiskey, aka Bourbon, is some of the finest produced, the sales speak for themselves.

https://www.history.com/news/how-kentucky-became-the-worlds-bourbon-capital#:~:text=Kentucky's wide temperature swings—from,absorb and release the whiskey.

Kentucky's wide temperature swings—from chilly winters to hot summers—are also conducive to producing bourbon because they cause the charred oak barrels, which give the spirit its amber color and distinctive taste, to alternately absorb and release the whiskey.

At first I was reluctant to respond as I didn't want to derail this thread any more than I already had. But then I remembered where this thread was and what it was about. And I suppose it is okay, as what you are drinking with your BBQ seems fair game for a BBQ thread.

I don't dislike Bourbon, but I don't drink it often. There are so many other options out there that are either less expensive ("Bourbon" often seems to come at a premium price just for the name), better tasting, or both. For me it is not a matter of not having had good Bourbon, I have. And it can be good. But for the most part I find that I would rather drink other options. Some are also considered "Bourbon" but not from Kentucky, while others are just Whiskey. Right now getting Whiskey aged in Rum casks seems popular, and tasty. My favorite is Scotch Whiskey, it is hands down my favorite drink. A good bottle of Scotch will always win with me. But to each their own.

• 2 weeks later...