Removing and separating fender

Guzzimax

well nuts are plentiful it seems, just finding the correct size. Amazon etc has a bunch, just combing through the measurements and translations. 

found these at Menards, they seem close in size

https://www.menards.com/main/well-nuts/midwest-fastener-reg-4mm-70-x-12mm-rubber-well-nut-1-count/81540/p-1541140115905-c-1556284486413.htm?tid=2724721153734788990&ipos=9

I got one off my spare fender that was in good condition tho scrunched. Looks to be 13-14mm long when new. Just shy of 10mm shaft. Flange dia is 13mm. This one came off the leg not one of the three across the top. They were squished more and more difficult to get out. If the p/n is the same then same same.

will stop at my local ACE sometime and check. I know they carry some sizes but...

• Thanks 1

I'll measure my new Guzzi  "swell nuts" (93236104) when they arrive from TLM. These are the three between the fender parts at the top.

The two on the sides are different (93236105). It did not even occur to me to order these, as well. :homer:

Af1Racing in Texas, USA, lists this Aprilia part (for a higher cost) as equivalent to the GU93236105 well nuts for the side connections of the two piece V11 front fender . . .

https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Aprilia-Rubber-With-Insert-M5-AP8120531

FWIW, they list it as an M5 (the three top connectors are M4).

On 10/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, Guzzimax said:

7119919B-D939-499F-A07D-3D03DD6A668E.jpeg

DABEC0AC-8EF3-491A-AE90-4E19A414836E.jpeg

Any success, @Guzzimax, getting this apart?

I have various sources shipping me various descriptions of the two different sizes of front fender Well Nuts :luigi: / "Swell" Nuts :o / Rubber Nuts :unsure:  from all over the world.

I'll post dimensions when they arrive . . .  :nerd:

2 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Probably been discussed elsewhere but here goes. Why does the fender need to be in 2 parts. The one on my RM is one piece and it slides over brake calipers & off end of forks no problem 

I can find a French translation for "why", but struggle with the Italian "Why" . . . :unsure:  :whistle::huh2:

Perhaps a production mold question for Acerbis?

• Like 1

A great observation, @cash1000 . . .

In all this time, I have found no assembly/access advantages to the 2-piece front fender. Only certain disadvantages and complications.

I can only imagine the 2-piece configuration was a production/manufacturing expedient?  :huh2:

Like available mold sizes or some unknown production constraint . . . .

Perhaps the engineers thought the added anti-vibration dampers would protect the early ABS fenders from cracking their mounting points. At least for the warranty period. (In that case = success!)

Courtesy of @KINDOY2, I have the well nuts for the side application, (M5 GU93231605) and took these measurements (mm +/-).

Body:    diameter      length           Flange:  diameter        thickness

9.4              12.7                              12.7                 1.1

Material thickness (the two fender parts together):  5.0                  Hole size:   9.5         

The closest I found on the Mcmaster-Carr site is their 93495A503, which could be a little snug, but probably slip in with a little Shin Etsu grease. Ten count, $7.21US.

FWIW, I ordered two through one of the US dealers and they have to come from Italy $5.20US.  Each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well nuts (antivibration dampers, 3 each) for the upper three, M4 GU93231604: dimensions (mm)

Body:   diameter       length           Flange:    diameter           thickness

7.8                 11.0                                 11.0                       1.4

Material thickness:        4.6              Hole Size     8-8.3

This product from McMaster-Carr looks comparable ($6.55US for ten count):

93495A615

• Thanks 1

This whole exercise leaves me with the opinion that, once assembled (for antivibration purposes), the front fender should be removed and replaced as a unit whenever possible. And that the antivibration dampers should not be excessively tight in order to function as desired.

• Like 2