New Norton Commando 961 SP & CR

Is the name still owned by that grifting fraud who took people's money and then declared bankruptcy, again and again and again!?:bbblll:

Personally I think the Notrun name has been so poisoned now I don't see how it could ever 'Come Back'. Apart from that there can't be many people under the age of sixty who know anything at all about its history and most who do know exactly what a huge clusterf*ck the demise of the British motorcycle industry was and how awful their post war products were.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Is the name still owned by that grifting fraud who took people's money and then declared bankruptcy, again and again and again!?:bbblll:

Personally I think the Notrun name has been so poisoned now I don't see how it could ever 'Come Back'. Apart from that there can't be many people under the age of sixty who know anything at all about its history and most who do know exactly what a huge clusterf*ck the demise of the British motorcycle industry was and how awful their post war products were.

Not sure who owns the Norton name, now. Reminds me of Indian (who finally found solid ground).

But, you know, efforts like this make me ever-so-much-more proud of my V11 Sport and the continuous Mandello del Lario heritage.  :mg:

• Like 5

Those above videos have a lot of information about the bike and the company. Worth watching.

I am attracted to the looks of the Norton, but it's performance doesn't seem so great. I think buyers will be either speculating collectors, wealthy eccentrics, or die-hard Norton fans. I don't fit any of those categories so if I wanted another modern retro-styled cafe-ish bike, my money would go to (in order of preference):

• MV Augusta Superveloce
  • Triumph Thruxton R
  • A clean, unmodified Ducati Sport 1000 monoposto (I had one of those for a while and it was great fun... investment hindsight says I should have bought the Paul Smart version and stored it)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
54 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Pete,

They are owned by India's TVS motorcycle company, who rebuilt their factory to improve quality. I think they are also honoring 28 orders from the previous company, so maybe their integrity and quality improved, time will tell.

https://nortonmotorcycles.com/stories/tvs-announces-100m-investment-in-norton-motorcycles/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 minutes ago, Scud said:

Those above videos have a lot of information about the bike and the company. Worth watching.

I am attracted to the looks of the Norton, but it's performance doesn't seem so great. I think buyers will be either speculating collectors, wealthy eccentrics, or die-hard Norton fans. I don't fit any of those categories so if I wanted another modern retro-styled cafe-ish bike, my money would go to (in order of preference):

• MV Augusta Superveloce
  • Triumph Thruxton R
  • A clean, unmodified Ducati Sport 1000 monoposto (I had one of those for a while and it was great fun... investment hindsight says I should have bought the Paul Smart version and stored it)

If for some reason Moto Guzzi would get out the old molds and manufacture a V11 Sport 2 valve big block again would you buy one? For me the answer is yes, but it wouldn't be light years ahead of the times. Meaning it would be full of character, not blindingly fast, and bloody gorgeous. Oh and typically expensive, to me that is what the Norton 961 represents itself to be.

You have to remember, I bought a V11 Sport in 2002 and again in 2022, and after a mild refresh, I couldn't be happier with the bike. The horsepower on my bike didn't seem low when following Docc, Josh & Randy in North Carolina & TN on some brilliant curvy roads. Don't let Docc fool you, he rode smooth and most of the time hauled @ss. The Spine Frames kept a very respectable, rarely legal street pace. :race:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Joe said:

If for some reason Moto Guzzi would get out the old molds and manufacture a V11 Sport 2 valve big block again would you buy one? For me the answer is yes, but it wouldn't be light years ahead of the times. Meaning it would be full of character, not blindingly fast, and bloody gorgeous. Oh and typically expensive, to me that is what the Norton 961 represents itself to be.

You have to remember, I bought a V11 Sport in 2002 and again in 2022, and after a mild refresh, I couldn't be happier with the bike. The horsepower on my bike didn't seem low when following Docc, Josh & Randy in North Carolina & TN on some brilliant curvy roads. Don't let Docc fool you, he rode smooth and most of the time hauled @ss. The Spine Frames kept a very respectable, rarely legal street pace. :race:

Possibly I would buy one. I think I could have been tempted by a CARC LeMans or Daytona. The new V100 could be a nice platform for a retro-styled version of one of those, and that could tempt me. 

I haven't bought many new bikes, but I did get that Ducati Sport 1000 new in 2006. I couldn't wait to get that thing... and it was glorious on the back roads, but downright miserable getting there. The V11s aren't quite as fast as the Duc, and don't handle quite as well. But as you said, they are fast enough, full of character, and very nice designs. To my eye, the Thruxton R is as good looking as the Norton, and gives the same level of nod to the brand's heritage. 

But if money is no object...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

One of my co-workers bought a 961 a couple months back. Once he had Dave Moss dial in the suspension, (just like any other contemporary bike), said it comes the closest to feeling like his Scura. Loaded with personality, (quirks), it has that "feel it" rather than "hear it" vibe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1