spring Kentucky Spine Raid (KSR)

Joe

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Crappy video of a flight around the pattern right before sunset. Had to turn the sound down because of the wind noise so you can't hear the little Verner run. Pay no attention to the growling of a dragging brake. :blush: The weather has been shall we say unconducive for flight testing and learning how to use the cheapie video cam..:lol:

So cool Chuck!

1 hour ago, activpop said:

Beautiful!  Wind sock shows not a puff of wind, nice evening for a flight. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, it was a gorgeous evening. The wind had been blowing all day, and calmed down right before sunset. I'm still very early in the flight test stages, but found out "Bullet" was in trim in roll and yaw on this flight.

I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good..:D

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

...video of a flight...Had to turn the sound down because of the wind noise

That doesn't sound like just wind noise to me. :huh2:

To combat the wind noise, you could try sticking/taping/fastening a thick bit of foam rubber over the microphone opening of whatever it is you are using to make the video, or over/around the mic. Also, getting the camera out of the prop wash would help. Either further out along the wing, or further in into the wind shadow of the perspex "cockpit".

However, what I can hear in the video sounds more like clipping, i.e. I reckon the motor is just too loud for the input. Going by the extensive noise reduction measures that I can see on the exhaust system in the video, I think that "too loud" might easily be possible. :whistle::grin: But then again, the "too loud" might also be the wind noise from the prop wash. :huh2:

On top of all of that, at the end of the video where the motor is off, I can hear what sounds like mechanical transmission of noise through the camera mount. This might easily be also contributing to the clipping when the motor is running. Try mounting the camera in/on some sort of isolation block, or take an inspiration from this microphone mount. The "strings" are rubber bands.

neumann-tlm-103-studio-set.jpg&sp=168357

If you can be bothered...

The video is good. :)

Thanks, Mick.. I have a remote mic that may alleviate much of the issues. I'm still very early in the flight test stage because of the weather, and taking a video has been low on my priorities. :)  When the audio was unusable I downloaded Openshot and (mostly) turned down the audio except on the last few frames.

Sorry for the thread drift, Docc..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:58 AM, Chuck said:

Oh, forgot my excuse for not coming. Grandson Max is coming in from Iowa State to visit for a few days and leave his truck here for the summer before flying back to Socal. The planets just didn't align, and no dog could get them lined up. :grin:

Thanks for the video Chuck.  I've been trying to get to a Spine Raid for the last few years but things got in the way. So fingers crossed,   "this is the year". 

SKIP

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

... a remote mic that may alleviate much of the issues....

Not "may", a remote mic makes it easy to solve the issues. :)

Look at the pictures here:

https://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/cyclone/

Don't buy a Rycote. They are the market leaders, and really expensive. Use the pictures for inspiration. You wrote somewhere here somewhere: "that's what I do, I build things". I'm sure you would be capable of putting something together if you want to. ;)

Note the shock mount. A clip for the mic, and rubber bands holding the clip would do it, like the mic mount I posted further up.

Note the cage around the mic. You should be able to solder up something out of heavy gauge fencing wire or welding wire.

The first attempt for the "cloth" around the cage would be nylon stockings. A couple of layers, probably, for your purpose. If that is not enough, something shaggy on top that looks like this

https://www.thomann.de/de/rycote_cyclone_windjammer.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp86xl7fp_gIVRIKDBx3kDw2eEAQYAyABEgJOm_D_BwE

Use your imagination. If you can be bothered.... B)

With the spring Kentucky SpineRaid a week out, I reckon it is time to refocus on the matter at hand . . .

My latest TPS setting(s) remind me of a girl I dated in college - like, I was never sure where she was going to be (all over the place). :ph34r::huh:

Pretty sure mySport is rideable, but what a mess fighting the TPS. Second try at replacement brakepads are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm 230 miles into a 400 mile Waddington Window and running out of time trying not to be The TechSession. :rolleyes::whistle:

More SpineRaid swag . . .

IMG_9738.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, docc said:

With the spring Kentucky SpineRaid a week out, I reckon it is time to refocus on the matter at hand . . .

My latest TPS setting(s) remind me of a girl I dated in college - like, I was never sure where she was going to be (all over the place). :ph34r::huh:

Pretty sure mySport is rideable, but what a mess fighting the TPS. Second try at replacement brakepads are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm 230 miles into a 400 mile Waddington Window and running out of time trying not to be The TechSession. :rolleyes::whistle:

More SpineRaid swag . . .

IMG_9738.jpg

As tech is pretty much a spectator sport for me, I look forward to hearing some stories about that girl you dated in college.   :D

Bill

• Haha 1

I just got the clearance for sKSR. Unfortunately no Sunday for me. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Will most likely be on the cruddy old “bus bike”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

I just got the clearance for sKSR. Unfortunately no Sunday for me. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Will most likely be on the cruddy old “bus bike”.

This is AWESOME news! :race::bier:

• Like 2

Note to @Joe . . .

What with inaugural SpineRaider @Bill Hagan coming, @Skip coming all the way from Michigan, and now longtime SpineRaider @Josh bringing the "Bus Bike ", no doubt you have shared a quite good idea* . . . . ;)

Shoot, even @gstallons thinks this is a good idea! :sun:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, going to Barber for 5 days to catch the Motoamerica races. Not going to make the inaugural RAID.