spring Kentucky Spine Raid (KSR)

Joe

Maybe we can start looking into a Tazewell, VA mid season (weekend after 4th of July?) RAID for next year. Lots of nice riding there and beautiful countryside.

1 hour ago, Randy said:

Maybe we can start looking into a Tazewell, VA mid season (weekend after 4th of July?) RAID for next year. Lots of nice riding there and beautiful countryside.

There's an "idea!" :nerd::grin::bier:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy said:

15 minutes ago, docc said:

There's an "idea!" :nerd::grin::bier:

The best "Good Idea Fairies" don't only come up with suggestions, they do what Joe has done in Kentucky.  ;)

So, Randy, assuming that your use of "we" was in the royal sense, what's your plan?  :D

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

The best "Good Idea Fairies" don't only come up with suggestions, they do what Joe has done in Kentucky.  ;)

So, Randy, assuming that your use of "we" was in the royal sense, what's your plan?  :D

Bill

I'll start looking for the lodging in a nice location.

I have a house in Abingdon so I can preview routes over a few weekends.

Tie these two loops together and you get a 4 hour, 170 mile or so loop that includes the Back of the Dragon.

Bastian Loop.gpx Bland Loop.gpx

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Randy said:

I'll start looking for the lodging in a nice location.

I have a house in Abingdon so I can preview routes over a few weekends.

Tie these two loops together and you get a 4 hour, 170 mile or so loop that includes the Back of the Dragon.

Bastian Loop.gpx 429.98 kB · 0 downloads Bland Loop.gpx 356.26 kB · 0 downloads

Great.

I ride in that area a bit.  As you know, it's quite fine.

Will check out those loops this evening.

Kathi abandoned me this morning for a trip to Italy, so I'm In the Moto Grappa getting the V7 III ready for my run to the KSR.  

I'll be back for two days, then return for my semiannual Mutton Run.  Yee ha; war is heck!

Bill

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Great.

I ride in that area a bit.  As you know, it's quite fine.

Will check out those loops this evening.

Kathi abandoned me this morning for a trip to Italy, so I'm In the Moto Grappa getting the V7 III ready for my run to the KSR.  

I'll be back for two days, then return for my semiannual Mutton Run.  Yee ha; war is heck!

Bill

Lodging seems to be scarce in the area unfortunately. May shift a little west to Breaks Interstate Park.

Nice lodge: https://www.breakspark.com/the-lodge

And a nice 5 hour loop.

Buchanan County ⇄ Corner.gpx

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Randy said:

Well, going to Barber for 5 days to catch the Motoamerica races. Not going to make the inaugural RAID.

Moto America SuperBike is legit this year, have a safe trip Randy.

• Like 1

Weather is certainly too far out to forecast specifics, yet dew points (sweaty stickiness) look to drop after a midweek system and weekend rain should be more of the afternoon thunderstorm variety. :thumbsup:

Waddington and I continue the waltz toward my departure. Everything I touched in my preparation went sideways. Turns out those original green "paper" valve cover gaskets won't quite make 130,000 miles. And tightening the fasteners more is never the answer. Thread repair complete, along with a fresh gasket. :blush:

My Decent Tune-up not only ended in a leaky valve cover, but also a TPS that refuses to find a decent place to set. Replacement TPS here tomorrow. Along with high hopes that solves the new hesitation/hiccup. :luigi:

The stuff SpineRaids are made of . . .

• Like 4

Nothing like a nasty cough to annoy one on these finicky V11’s…have you thought about adding Meinolf’s map to the mix…I am thoroughly happy with having done it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:35 PM, docc said:

Note to @Joe . . .

What with inaugural SpineRaider @Bill Hagan coming, @Skip coming all the way from Michigan, and now longtime SpineRaider @Josh bringing the "Bus Bike ", no doubt you have shared a quite good idea* . . . . ;)

Shoot, even @gstallons thinks this is a good idea! :sun:

Plus…

Dad- V7 Special.

KaleV11- Silver V11 Sport 

Dennis- Triumph Tiger 900.

Me- V11 Sport Rosso Mandello.

Goofman- 1200 Sport.

Docc,

We have gathered up supplies to have a nice cookout on Saturday night, I think Kale got Brats to grill, I can’t wait, it’s going to be epic. Also bringing fire wood & plenty of KY Bourbon to sip on during the tech sessions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

Nothing like a nasty cough to annoy one on these finicky V11’s…have you thought about adding Meinolf’s map to the mix…I am thoroughly happy with having done it.

Yeah, I have no doubt Meinolf's Map, especially in the last version, embodies intelligent improvements and refinements over the factory mapping. Yet, I have long been the poster child for the factory map. In fact, my Sport had never run better until this latest tune-up. So, for sure I mucked something up. First, I had to be certain the non-metric O-rings I put on the air bypass screws were not the problem. They weren't. Then, it became all about finding the "fully and completely closed" throttle position to baseline the TPS (what with my worn 130,000 mile throttle shafts).

After maybe five or six tries at the TPS setting, it runs great. Once warmed up and with the throttle changing or well open. The falter is decidedly throttle position specific. You know, that barely cracked throttle we use to make a tight parking lot turn or pull out into traffic. The worse possible times to falter. The first response is more throttle.

St. Vitus Dance on a 500 pound motorcycle with the front wheel turned in a slow speed maneuver is bad form, at the very least. :wacko:

So, next is a replacement TPS. Coming down to the wire, Waddington and me . . . :blink:

• Like 4

I can truly relate to this Docc, it took me several, well many attempts to get the TPS all working…it’s too sensitive a system but so be it…once charmed into position, it is fantastic.  I had replaced my TPS as well based on your recommendation so hopefully that solves your issue as well.  Worst case scenario the fuel injectors need reconditioning to fine tune it…I wish there was some after market modification to the TPS…

Out of curiosity what do you set your valves to?

Hopefully all Comes together in time for the Spring raid!

• Thanks 1