spring Kentucky Spine Raid (KSR)

Joe

41 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

A fish, silly.  :grin:

Seriously, I'm going to go with Lake Sturgeon, but am curious, too.  

I KNEW that was coming Bill!...:homer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gstallons said:

If it were as easy as fishin' 

you could be a musician.....

if you could make sounds

loud or mellow

Fish in Dale Hollow Lake

Dale Hollow Lake is home of the world record smallmouth bass, and continues to provide many anglers with Lifetime Trophy catches every year. While it is known for its massive smallmouth population, the lake has also grown into a fantastic largemouth bass fishery as well.

20 minutes ago, Joe said:
Fish in Dale Hollow Lake

Dale Hollow Lake is home of the world record smallmouth bass, and continues to provide many anglers with Lifetime Trophy catches every year. While it is known for its massive smallmouth population, the lake has also grown into a fantastic largemouth bass fishery as well.

11-pound, 15-ounce

Enough of this Osteichthyes chatter.  I am still trying to sort out which Guzzi I will straddle, and none of them will have fishing tackle aboard. 

My present plan -- which as with those in the Army, is unlikely to survive first contact  -- is to trailer the EV to Atlanta where Guzzi god & guru Wayne Orwig will ensure it is ready for the cross-country trip I probably won't make anyway.  

I'll get it back in April or so, then ride it to Kentucky, the PNW, or just back here.  Kathi :wub: will be in Italy then PNW for almost all of May until early June, so I will be unsupervised.  

So many opportunities.  :D  If only I can find someone to mow our dandelion and ragweed farm. :whistle:

Seriously, the EV has lots of storage room and is the ideal mount in my moto-harem for LD missions.  But, it has a leaky front tire, which I can probably fix myself.  More troublingly, it also has a spark issue of some sort that is maddening.  My grasp of automotive electrics is, aside from creating unintentional light shows, primitive, whereas Wayne "knows all" and is also well acquainted with my EV from our Atlanta days.

OK, back to the fishing forum.  :P

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Enough of this Osteichthyes chatter.  I am still trying to sort out which Guzzi I will straddle, and none of them will have fishing tackle aboard. 

My present plan -- which as with those in the Army, is unlikely to survive first contact  -- is to trailer the EV to Atlanta where Guzzi god & guru Wayne Orwig will ensure it is ready for the cross-country trip I probably won't make anyway.  

I'll get it back in April or so, then ride it to Kentucky, the PNW, or just back here.  Kathi :wub: will be in Italy then PNW for almost all of May until early June, so I will be unsupervised.  

So many opportunities.  :D  If only I can find someone to mow our dandelion and ragweed farm. :whistle:

Seriously, the EV has lots of storage room and is the ideal mount in my moto-harem for LD missions.  But, it has a leaky front tire, which I can probably fix myself.  More troublingly, it also has a spark issue of some sort that is maddening.  My grasp of automotive electrics is, aside from creating unintentional light shows, primitive, whereas Wayne "knows all" and is also well acquainted with my EV from our Atlanta days.

OK, back to the fishing forum.  :P

Bill

Bill, I bought new in 05 a 2004 EV and owned it for a long time, nice road bike, mine had color matched 40L Hepco & Becker Bags. I took a trip on the EV from Boulder Colorado to Glacier National Park (through Yellowstone twice) and back.

You consider the KY Bourbon Trail in your travel plans riding through Kentucky. Many nice places to stop for a "tasting" of the good stuff.

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

• Like 2

• docc changed the title to spring South'n Spine Raid KY
On 1/17/2023 at 7:08 AM, Bill Hagan said:

Bill

Twelve weeks out, I have taken to calling this raduno the KSR (Kentucky SpineRaid). :blink:<_<B)

Still hoping to attend and help make sure @gstallons will come. Been "writing him notes" for years. :nerd:

• Like 3

Just an update, we will have quite a few people stopping by or staying at the spring KSR. So far Bill, Kale, my father(78) and myself are in the cabin. We will try to accommodate almost anyone and will have a garage space for the "tech Sessions" and maybe a fire pit in the back yard. If everyone arrives I anticipate 15+ for the rides and kicking tires, as I have quite of few riding buddies(Triumph/Moto Guzzi V85's) that will be attending the Euro Rally in Burkesville and plan on dropping by Saturday to kick tires and tip Bourbon. John Barnes and company are going to be riding down to Barber Motorsports Park on Friday and plan on stopping by also. 

All joking aside, we probably won't be fishing at all, (sorry Bill ) but you could if you like. Most likely my dad will trailer down his V7 850 Special, I will make sure we bring extra coolers for ice, and maybe try to cook brats or something on the grill. If everyone arrives I anticipate 15+ for the rides and kicking tires, which according to Docc is a successful SpineRaid. 

If you haven't made final plans its not too late to call and make reservations in the lodge or sleep on the couch.

https://parks.ky.gov/burkesville/parks/resort/dale-hollow-lake-state-resort-park

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, darn it, along with some much stronger expletives.

I cannot be at this inaugural event. :(

I PM'd Joe about it first, and appreciated his kind response.

While the details aren't worth relating, it just got too hard to bundle the sKSR with mutton run and trek out to the PNW to wrestle with the grands out there.  I really cannot fathom how a 75-YO retired guy and (cradle-robbed, of course :wub:) bride  can have calendars without any breathing room between now and August!

Then, when it already was getting stressful enough, a sweet aunt in her late '80's (also in Kentucky) who has been an inspirational dynamo of energy for decades, has fallen seriously ill.  She asked for us to come in sooner than (an unsaid) later.  That tore it.

Well, I guess you got the details anyway. Sorry.

Joe, I am way more sorry about missing your great event. I am sure there will be pix ... other than the mugshots of course.  :grin:  I and others look forward to seeing them.

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Bill Hagan said:

Well, darn it, along with some much stronger expletives.

I cannot be at this inaugural event. :(

I PM'd Joe about it first, and appreciated his kind response.

While the details aren't worth relating, it just got too hard to bundle the sKSR with mutton run and trek out to the PNW to wrestle with the grands out there.  I really cannot fathom how a 75-YO retired guy and (cradle-robbed, of course :wub:) bride  can have calendars without any breathing room between now and August!

Then, when it already was getting stressful enough, a sweet aunt in her late '80's (also in Kentucky) who has been an inspirational dynamo of energy for decades, has fallen seriously ill.  She asked for us to come in sooner than (an unsaid) later.  That tore it.

Well, I guess you got the details anyway. Sorry.

Joe, I am way more sorry about missing your great event. I am sure there will be pix ... other than the mugshots of course.  :grin:  I and others look forward to seeing them.

Bill

Bill, I promise to capture the moments of the inaugural sKSR (spring Kentucky SpineRaid).

C4E05D10-CDCB-486E-9C15-5F0D8799F9AA.jpeg

8FA65F7C-BA32-4913-A489-80C926B0A169.jpeg

A5E25799-54FB-46CA-8BBD-F8BC6E856289.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am gonna be there . It might be in a F250 support vehicle w a tool box full of tools , but I will be there . Arthritis is so bad 

I don't think I could hold grips long enuf to make the ride .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gstallons said:

I am gonna be there . It might be in a F250 support vehicle w a tool box full of tools , but I will be there . Arthritis is so bad 

I don't think I could hold grips long enuf to make the ride .

Can't "like" that, @gstallons.

I, too, have that affliction, but, as it's on the mild side, I find that aspirin cuts it (enough) to push through.

My right wrist is the way more painful of the pair, following a "I laid 'er down" event in 2003.  

I was attempting to pass an old red pickup on that sweet stretch of ridge-top pavement on Alab. SR 281 near Cheaha S.P. -- yes, flashed lights and tapped horn -- when said bubba turned left without warning of any kind.  Told me it was his "reg'lar turn'round point."  :homer:

Bent my right thumb all the way back!  Yes, that hurt some.  :wacko:

Then rode the EV to a friend's house in Anniston.  Said friend's wife was a RN, and he a bourbon aficionado. A nice combo. ;)

OK, must go on with (related) Paul Harvey.

So, had surgery.  Seemed to go well. Then, after wearing cast for a bit, I went in for a checkup.  

You know it's a bad sign when the doc's assistant starts to heave when she removed the first cast.  :vomit:

Next thing I knew, I was in an ambulance headed to the hospital!

In the prep for surgery #2, the anesthesiologist -- a stunning darling of a woman who looked (at least in my memory and retelling) like Andie McDowell right out of Groundhog Day -- asked me if there was anything I wanted.  I passed over what I wanted to say ;), and came up with a lame "How about a beer?"

She responded with "Let's make it a six pack," and punched the button.  Lights out.  

OK, back to writing that speech on 19th century military law.  Call me if you are suffering from insomnia along with arthritis.    :D

Bill

• Like 8