A test report for V11 tyres

motortouring

On 3/3/2023 at 4:50 AM, motortouring said:

"Subjective" [observation] is used when there is not a predescribed testmethod that would result in measurable repeatable values(objective method). I think something like feedback is difficult to capture in an objective sense.

Absolutely. They did have some measurable metrics that were quantifiable. But even those can be subjective. Such as the lap times. Those are good metrics, however the test pilot will not drive the bike exactly the same way for each lap.

For example, if we assume the testing was done in the order published in the report, he started with the Michelin. We don't know if he did some free practice laps before he started the test. Would it make sense to say that as he accrued laps, he felt more comfortable and could go faster?

All the impressions on corner entering, cornering, corner exiting are based on his own appreciation. But he supposedly uses the same for each tire. While there is no accurate methodology, I would think he followed the same procedure and process for each set of tires.

Although I really am not enamored with the name about which I'd have to roll my eyes if anyone asked about the tire, has anyone checked out the Dunlop Mutant tire?

It has some pretty impressive reviews, and seems to be a great all-around(er) tire, especially if your riding includes a lot of wet and poor roads.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mutant/

6 hours ago, p6x said:

Absolutely. They did have some measurable metrics that were quantifiable. But even those can be subjective. Such as the lap times. Those are good metrics, however the test pilot will not drive the bike exactly the same way for each lap.

For example, if we assume the testing was done in the order published in the report, he started with the Michelin. We don't know if he did some free practice laps before he started the test. Would it make sense to say that as he accrued laps, he felt more comfortable and could go faster?

All the impressions on corner entering, cornering, corner exiting are based on his own appreciation. But he supposedly uses the same for each tire. While there is no accurate methodology, I would think he followed the same procedure and process for each set of tires.

Very true.

But if I read the report measuring the temperature increase was part of the objective part. 

Braking with ABS is reproducible.

ASR when coming out the corner also says something, especially with the track logger that they used. Lateral and longitudinal accelerations are usually pretty accurate on the logger.

But still true, these tests have also subjectivity because of the driver preferences/capabilities.

8 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Although I really am not enamored with the name about which I'd have to roll my eyes if anyone asked about the tire, has anyone checked out the Dunlop Mutant tire?

It has some pretty impressive reviews, and seems to be a great all-around(er) tire, especially if your riding includes a lot of wet and poor roads.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mutant/

A fairly new offering from Dunlop which popped up on my radar recently as well. No personal experience, but I've read mostly raving reviews from testers. Definitely interesting construction and looks. I'm highly considering trying them next, they could be effective around here as the tarmac on secondary roads is often in bad shape. Albeit not on the V11S but on the Griso. I think in terms of looks it would suit the Griso nicely and even maybe in name, as I think of the Griso as a bit of a - dare I say it - MUTANT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I received the latest issue of Moto Magazine, and there is a comparative test of six tires designed for Sport-Tourism motorcycles, such as the V11;

• Dunlop Roadsmart IV
  • Pirelli Angel GT II
  • Bridgestone T32
  • Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE
  • Continental Contiroadattack 4

The test took place at the Goodyear Mireval track in France. It used to be a racing track purchased by Goodyear and transformed into a tire test track for all kind of vehicles. This track has multiple asphalt quality and a "wet" loop.

The testing was conducted with a Yamaha Tracer 9, one of the motorcycle used for a sport-tourism comparative test with the Moto Guzzi V100S, BMW R1250RS, results will come in a separate post.

Each tire sets was ran for two laps on the fast track, length 6.6 km. When the tires are manufactured, they are covered with a thin layer that facilitates their removal from the molding machine;

The braking tests were measured with a VBox Sport from Racelogic, using GPS data.

In the dry, for each tire the speed was set to 125 km/h, and the braking distance measured between 100 km/h until 5 km/h.

In the wet, the set speed is 90 km/h and the braking distance measured between 80 to 5 km/h

Maneuverability was checked; the Goodyear track has all kinds of tests to verify how easy the motorcycle respond to impulses. Also, behavior on wet asphalt such as fast, slow curves, banked curves, skidding under acceleration, stability.

Now we need to keep in mind that the braking results on the Tracer are carried out using the ABS, I don't really know how it translate on our V11.

Find the results of the test herewith:

-The top performance was given to the Dunlop Roadsmart IV, the second best was the Pirelli Angel GTII;

Some of these tires have a GT version for heavier motorcycles and SP for Sport roadsters. I believe the V11 can use the standard version.

Note that all the tires tested are manufactured in Europe and Japon for Bridgestone.

Michelin is the only manufacturer to have dual compound for the front and rear tire. All the rest have dual compound rear tires.

Again, one important aspect of tires is never measured: average autonomy.

I am currently on ROAD 5, since the ROAD 6 were not not in stock. The Roadsmart IV neither earlier this year. Only the Roadsmart III was in stock.

The Roadsmart IV is given as the best in terms of maneuverability and stability.

Something that I have been told; the Tires we purchase in the USA are not coming from Europe. It should not make any difference in terms of quality though...

I am completely happy with my Road 5, and will attempt to install Road 6 at the end of year. Then I will check the Roadsmart IV at the end of 2024.

Test Pneus Sport-Tourisme

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2023 at 7:18 PM, docc said:

The Bridgestone Battlax T32 is serving me well, in the GT spec . . .

YMMV, literally . . .

When you look at the peanuts difference between those tires' performance, there is no bad choice here.

They did say though, the Michelin braking performance is affected because it is the only tire that triggers the ABS extremely early in the test. As we know the ABS helps in control and not in braking performance.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the prices and availability using Revzilla;

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 are ALL out of stock. There are the cheapest.

The Michelin Road 6 are the most expensive.

Some of the GT versions of these tires were not available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, reckon I'll stick with my Angel GT11....

I just rode home from work earlier today, 70 kays 11 degrees TORRENTIAL rain and even with 13 thousand kays on them they were rock solid, stable and secure!

They've still got quite a lot of life left in them and will replace with same or next gen Angels if available when I'm ready!

Bloody good in the dry too ha ha 

Cheers 

• Like 2

Aren't we all habit's creatures?

The way I look at it, I want to try as many as I can, to find out if I am able to distinguish what is tagged to have better performance.

With the mileage I am putting out while doing the Texas Tour, I can justify poking around to find out what I think suits the V11. I shall hit 30k miles by year end.

• Like 3

Ha ha 

If I were a single man and didn't have to debate matters of finance with the minister.....

I think I'd try a sportier tyre to see how they FEEL compared with sport touring tyres.

I'm curious as my mate Dave runs sports tyres on his MV and we've ridden in some pretty ordinary conditions, and they've not given him any grief either.

However the Angels have never given me any issues for the sort of riding I do and I get great mileage outa them....

Cheers Guzzler 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 4:48 PM, guzzler said:

Ha ha 

If I were a single man and didn't have to debate matters of finance with the minister.....

I think I'd try a sportier tyre to see how they FEEL compared with sport touring tyres.

I'm curious as my mate Dave runs sports tyres on his MV and we've ridden in some pretty ordinary conditions, and they've not given him any grief either.

However the Angels have never given me any issues for the sort of riding I do and I get great mileage outa them....

Cheers Guzzler 

I would be interested, in a subjective sort of way, to find out why anyone chose a specific tire in particular.

Furthermore, it seems that once one decided about it, one sticks to that choice. At least, this is what transpires from discussions I had over the years. Excepted in 70's, when the only tire of choice was the Dunlop K-81.

I am the opposite. I try to install new brands and new models on all my vehicle, to test my ability to feel any difference.

Recently, one of my Yokohama rear tire failed on my 911. The shop only had on tire brand that matched.

"NITTO", made in the USA.

I replaced both rear tires and my first finding is they make more noise than any of the other tires I ever installed.

I am going to check them a bit more, and replace them sooner than later. I had Pirelli, Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestones, and I could not tell which is better.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, p6x said:

I would be interested, in a subjective sort of way, to find out why anyone chose a specific tire in particular.

I tend to go for a good deal price wise (guzzi content) on a proven tire. I don’t ride enough to try different brand/type within a short period to really compare and the new ones always feel better than the worn ones they replace. Bridgestones at the moment.

• Like 1