Moto Guzzi Enthusiast Royal Enfield Thread

Glad to see this thread,because I have a question that I'm hoping generates a good discussion.

I've watched many respected guzzistis make the plunge into a variety of Royal Enfield models.

I understand someone going for a RE if it's a completely different bike,ie single cylinder ADV or city bike, but I've been surprised at the number of riders that have jumped onto a RE 650 twin rather than a MG V7.

For myself; a known product,plus the solid basic engineering of a MG and the lack of chain maintenance are a big draws,what is it about the RE that convinced you to go down that road rather than a small block MG. (Chuck, especially you,with imho,the ultimate small block,the Aero Lario)

Are the electronics much simpler,,,fit & finish much higher,,,more comfortable,,,solid engineering,,,,simple valve adjustments,,,,,much lighter weight,,,,,reminds you of the Triumphs & BSAs,you grew up around as a kid,,,etc, etc?

The REs are highly respected in my area,and I've always been impressed with the few I've seen in person,but they really haven't made big inroads in the market.

Most of the RE dealers seem to be fringe dealers,ie Chinese ATV dealers,scooter dealers etc.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

tks for starting this Joe:thumbsup:

• Like 2

For me.. who grew up riding singles.. it is a trip in the way back machine. :D There is just *something* about a long stroke single that gives me a grin. The clincher is that I'm *pretty sure* that I'll never have to work on it, unlike any of the 17 (!) Guzzis I've kept for future keepers. Well, ok.. clean and lube the chain every 4-500 miles or so, and adjust the (2) valves every 3000, although I'll bet they won't need it. OHC don't ya know..

I've been a fan of the small block for many years, now, and I already have one. I had thinned the herd down to the AeroLario, and Dorcia said, "what are you going to ride when you are looking for or having to make an unavailable Lario part?" I liked the way she was thinking. :grin: I have known that RE has had it going on for a few years, now..and everyone I know that has one likes it.  The 350 Classic styling is spot on in harking back to the late 40s and early 50s. I went and had a look, and the manufacturing is top notch. Rode one and got that long stroke single grin. :huh2: Oh, and I could have two for the price of a new Guzzi small block that might or might not keep up with the AeroLario on a twisty road. That is *not* the mission of the 350, although it handles quite well. It's mission is to be a back roads looking at the scenery relaxing afternoon ride. And.. going to the store, parts chasing, etc. that will keep the miles off the increasingly rare Lario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EuIgioLDc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Royal Enfield's are typically on a smaller scale of size and power. Sometimes I think that hurts their credibility, but as a former owner of a(smaller) MG T3, I like them. I sat on every model bike they make on Saturday, and the riding triangle for the Continental GT was perfect, felt just right (very similar to my V11 Sport Rosso Mandello). Then I rode the bike and was absolutely surprised by the quality of the machine. The brakes were great, the light weight played in the bike's favor. 

My plan would be to buy one and let Nicole learn to ride a motorcycle. At the same time I could ride with my "senior rider" :oldgit:dad on his 22 V7 850 Special, it will be perfect. I have a 850lb 2020 Indian Chieftain Limited bagger for the long ride two up. A Continental GT would be just for fun, and that's exactly what I had on a ten mile test ride Saturday. I hope this helps.:huh:

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Chuck said:

For me.. who grew up riding singles.. it is a trip in the way back machine. :D There is just *something* about a long stroke single that gives me a grin. The clincher is that I'm *pretty sure* that I'll never have to work on it, unlike any of the 17 (!) Guzzis I've kept for future keepers. Well, ok.. clean and lube the chain every 4-500 miles or so, and adjust the (2) valves every 3000, although I'll bet they won't need it. OHC don't ya know..

I've been a fan of the small block for many years, now, and I already have one. I had thinned the herd down to the AeroLario, and Dorcia said, "what are you going to ride when you are looking for or having to make an unavailable Lario part?" I liked the way she was thinking. :grin: I have known that RE has had it going on for a few years, now..and everyone I know that has one likes it.  The 350 Classic styling is spot on in harking back to the late 40s and early 50s. I went and had a look, and the manufacturing is top notch. Rode one and got that long stroke single grin. :huh2: Oh, and I could have two for the price of a new Guzzi small block that might or might not keep up with the AeroLario on a twisty road. That is *not* the mission of the 350, although it handles quite well. It's mission is to be a back roads looking at the scenery relaxing afternoon ride. And.. going to the store, parts chasing, etc. that will keep the miles off the increasingly rare Lario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EuIgioLDc

"It's mission is to be a back roads looking at the scenery relaxing afternoon ride. And.. going to the store, parts chasing, etc. that will keep the miles off the increasingly rare Lario."

Totally logical.  :sun:

• Like 1

I was seeking simplicity, light control actions, reliability and a wider dealer network than what Guzzi provides in my neck of the woods. If I were really more interested in going down the, "modern retro" rabbit hole I'd probably be saving up for a Janus, but the bang for the buck factor is definitely there for RE and I hope that other manufacturers take note...

• Thanks 1

I recently returned from a moto tour in the Himalayas.  17 days on rented R.E. Himalayan Scram 411.  The Scram (scrambler) is a small front wheel 19' vs. 21' version of the Himalayan with shorter seat and suspension.  We did over 700 miles including 3 days of HARD off pavement riding.  

Overall, I was very impressed with the R.E.  Not much power on tap, but enough to get the job done.  I found the suspension to be very good considering what the roads threw at it, compliant and able to absorb a lot of bumps without losing feel.  Zero reliabliltiy issues.  Able to absorb minor crash damage, as everyone on the trip dropped at least once.  Except for the stock crash bars, they fold up like a cheap suit.  At least they also fold back into place like a cheap suit.

Put some good skid plates and crash bars and a decent luggage system on and I'd seriously consider it for an ADV tourer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

I recently returned from a moto tour in the Himalayas.  17 days on rented R.E. Himalayan Scram 411.  The Scram (scrambler) is a small front wheel 19' vs. 21' version of the Himalayan with shorter seat and suspension.  We did over 700 miles including 3 days of HARD off pavement riding.  

Overall, I was very impressed with the R.E.  Not much power on tap, but enough to get the job done.  I found the suspension to be very good considering what the roads threw at it, compliant and able to absorb a lot of bumps without losing feel.  Zero reliabliltiy issues.  Able to absorb minor crash damage, as everyone on the trip dropped at least once.  Except for the stock crash bars, they fold up like a cheap suit.  At least they also fold back into place like a cheap suit.

Put some good skid plates and crash bars and a decent luggage system on and I'd seriously consider it for an ADV tourer. 

The operative word is ........ cheap suit.   :D

750 RE Interceptor 1967, ALL SHINY, that made a big impression on a 15year old guy . Mother not impressed after seeing my freshly painted closet doors filled with bike pictures,, a 750 Interceptor was at the top.  They were made underground, I think, stable temp for better clearances. Were they leaking, yes, a lot, but I still like them :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 4