Fuel line quick connect (not so quick)

4corsa

I figure after an hour of trying to disconnect one fuel line (carefully), it's ok to ask. I did find a post last night that said it's "surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it", and to apply equal pressure forward (toward the elbow) on the hose while pushing the collar toward the hose, and you may need to rotate the collar a bit. The collar doesn't really want to rotate without the hose also rotating. 

So, do I need one of those special disconnector  tools for this?  

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20221105_215901447_resize_74.jpg

IDK if there is a tool available for this connection .  IFIRC , you push the hose in then push the collar back to the hose and move everything away from the fitting . You may have to twist the collar while pushing the fitting off the line.  Once you master this , do it a few times and get familiar with the procedure and try to remember it. 

• Like 2

It's a funky finesse feel kind of thing,that will drive you crazy until you learn it.

DON'T go near it with any type of tool,it's crappy brittle plastic,just waiting to break and fall apart.

The first time I did the quick disconnect on my CalVin,I danced around it for days,with a variety of tools,very lucky I didn't break anything.

The turning point for me was watching a youtube video by a Norge? owner,his first video of the technique was so well received he posted a 2nd one with a closer camera angle,do a search for it,if you're lucky you'll find it.

Iirc the motion on the V11 is opposite from the CalVin, but the theory is the same, while supporting the plastic elbow with your left hand so it doesn't break, push or pull the collar just slightly to release the mechanism internally,while keeping that pressure on the collar,just wiggle it gently back/forth slightly and pull the whole thing off.

It's instinctive to me now,I can do it with my eyes closed,but until I learned that feel, pull/push/release pressure/wiggle/off,,, I was ready to torch the bike.lol.

Hint, don't do it when you're frustrated,come back at it with fresh eyes and patience.

A slight spray of WD40  on reassembly helps prevent issues in the future.

fwiw ymmv good luck

• Like 1

Its a bitch...especially if it hasn't been apart for a while and wasn't lubed the last time it was apart..if ever..make sure your system is de pressurized .

lots of care..I got rid of mine and put a gates hose on the red fitting and a metal quick disconnect from AF1 in the line ..

• Like 3

I have a drawer full of disconnect tools for automotive use. The worst was a Ford with about 6 tongs / tines inside the fuel line connector . If it EVER went wrong you had a helluva time getting it off . I am sure the plastic elbow is very delicate . I would use shop air to get any junk out of the connector to aid in removal . Everything has a technique . It's learning that is tough .

Thank you very much guys.  I feel like I tried every twist and push/pull possible several times, and just can't seem to get that collar to move or rotate more than a millimeter or two.  Beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to remove that metal pinch clamp and disconnect it there.  Then perhaps replace with a metal disconnect as KINDOY2 has done.

1 hour ago, 4corsa said:

Thank you very much guys.  I feel like I tried every twist and push/pull possible several times, and just can't seem to get that collar to move or rotate more than a millimeter or two.  Beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to remove that metal pinch clamp and disconnect it there.  Then perhaps replace with a metal disconnect as KINDOY2 has done.

I found the video on youtube that I mentioned above, copied in a link below. I don't bother with releasing the fuel pressure first like he does, I just wrap the whole works in a rag to catch any fuel.

Thousands of guzzzi owners are indebted to this video poster for solving one of life's greatest mysteries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4