Is clutch engagement adjustable?

LaGrasta

When I release the clutch lever, it snaps into engagement. It's only a smooth transition if I feather the throttle. Is there a way to lesser the grab a bit? I looked and looked through the service manual, but no adjustment instructions what so ever.

+1 on footgoose's flush/bleed advice. :luigi:

The only adjustments in the clutch are at the lever. There is the matter of setting the "reach" of the Brembo lever for your hand size and engagement preference. And there is a lever adjustment that contacts the master cylinder plunger. Having to change this contact may indicate a possible broken spring inside the master cylinder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forget if this is your first Goose? If so, you may have Japanese wet clutch expectations. At best, Guzzi dry clutches have a short engagement and at worst are snatchy. My 'Sport takes a practiced hand to pull away smoothly at low rpm. My '89 Mille, even with the big smooth engine and flywheel, takes genuine concern or I'll stall it. The kid's '85 LeMans though, is butter-smooth with a wider engagement than either of the others. But none of them tolerate the carelessness of a good multi-plate wet clutch. They're more like driving a loaded tractor-trailer.
Also, if it's been stored, the friction surfaces may be a little rough from 'oxidation'. If so, they'll smooth out considerably with a little usage.

• Like 1

Thank you all, non-adjustable! 

This is my second Guzzi and it snatches a bit more than my V7. Having already flushed all fluids, I'll start working on more delicate hand activity. :D

• Like 1

It's true about changing out the fluid.  My 07 Norge clutch was working fine but too close to end of lever for my comfort to feather it.   Flushing and filling with new Dot 4 brought back "Crisper" feed back..  Helped.    I love the sound of the dry clutch rattle when I pull in the lever.

• Like 1

Docc’s point about the lever adjustment bears reiterating- I’d say take a bit of time to find the setting that gives you the smoothest action- my experience is that makes a surprising difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewgnu said:

Docc’s point about the lever adjustment bears reiterating- I’d say take a bit of time to find the setting that gives you the smoothest action- my experience is that makes a surprising difference.

Funny how much that actually matters. Mine has adjustable levers, and if it didn't I'd find some. 

• Like 1

IIRC , the black frame is not too hard to grease all the fittings. The red frame , no. The front joint is impossible. As in , I gave up . And I have a Rube Goldberg grease tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1