[2001] Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Joe

21 minutes ago, activpop said:

Called NHTSA...no info on work performed. Called Aprilia...they have minimal info but guy is digging further. He said he will call Italy to possibly find more. The only campaign info he could find so far is something performed in 2004 and the term "flexible coupling hose" was used. He said he should report back tomorrow.  I think that part is in the tranny, so we'll see.

Question, were you able to ride the bike and determine if it shifted incorrectly?

27 minutes ago, activpop said:

Called NHTSA...no info on work performed. Called Aprilia...they have minimal info but guy is digging further. He said he will call Italy to possibly find more. The only campaign info he could find so far is something performed in 2004 and the term "flexible coupling hose" was used. He said he should report back tomorrow.  I think that part is in the tranny, so we'll see.

YES! The ""flexible coupling hose" - that is the gearbox repair! :luigi:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I did not. Combined tire age of 40 years with wet roads and 40 degree temps was out of my comfort zone. He rode it up and down by me and almost lost the rear pulling out of the driveway. IDK if i would have noticed anything unusual since Guzzi has the reputation of clunkier trannys than a Ducati, which is all I have to compare it too.

3 minutes ago, docc said:

From the Parts Catalog, page 55, Group: "engine" -

#2   GU04214900    "Hose"   3a-5a-4a-6a  Qty: 2

Awesome! looks like the recall was performed in 2004. (Again, the written notices were dated December 15, 2003).

Docc, is there anyone from the V11Lemans forum that lives close to the bike that can help out the buyer?

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

Docc, is there anyone from the V11Lemans forum that lives close to the bike that can help out the buyer?

Not sure. I would have to study the Member Map and see. Perhaps I can do that later unless someone from Oregon speaks up. Seems the big issue for @activpop is being addressed . . .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

You guys are something else!! Thanks for that, but right now I'm waiting on Piaggo to get me some info. Coincidentally,  I'm checking out that greenie up in Pasco. Same problem...VIN falls into recall catogory. I'll check that number with them tomorrow. That one is a few hours away and comes with a story that I will fill you in on when all this is settled. The greenie is in much better shape, at least from the pics. The Nero is a little tired looking in person. 

• Like 2

And while we're on it, there is a low milage V11 on CL near Tri Cities TE. Dont have the link but you can search it...it has Rizoma bars mounted in place of the clip ons. I guess that required some drilling and tapping?

On 11/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, docc said:

This official notice lists these VIN ranges that overlap 2000 and 2001 production:

IMG_8598.jpg

As an aside to the recall discussion, it is interesting to note Richardson's reference to what would be the last VIN of 2000: 114639. Since we know the first VIN of a year is 111111, that indicates 3,529 V11 Sport built in 2000.

Seems I have #1,531 of those 3,529 . . . :mg:

3A3FE034-E10B-4D2D-A7E1-F9E904D8EE59.jpeg

On 11/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, docc said:

Would that groove be visible with the shift plate off?

IMG_5423.jpg

When I was inside my tranny doing the spring job, I noticed that on the gears,in approx 1-2 cm from the outside teeth area around the circumference,there appeared to be what I would call a "rounded stress radius relief cut", rather than a square edge that could develop stress cracks over time

At the time I wondered what function that groove served;now I know.

I'm sure there's a proper fancy machinist term for it that Chuck or others would know, I certainly don't,lol.

You may not be able to see it,but if you knew the right gears and could squeeze your finger in there, and knew what you were feeling for, I think you could feel it,if it was there.

fwiw

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bike is now home with me and I got it for what I think is an unbelievable price. Guy wanted it gone and nobody was calling...except me. Has me wondering a bit if there is something I didnt catch. Is there a tutorial for posting pics? Keep getting message the pics are too big.

• Like 4

Back from DMV...guy looked it up on his screen and confirmed it is a 2004. I mentioned the tenth digit on the VIN...he said that isn't always right. Alrighty then...new title will have 2004 also. Can't fight city hall. It is all legal and registered to me now.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, activpop said:

Back from DMV...guy looked it up on his screen and confirmed it is a 2004. I mentioned the tenth digit on the VIN...he said that isn't always right. Alrighty then...new title will have 2004 also. Can't fight city hall. It is all legal and registered to me now.

Haha, well our US State Governments will never be the most reliable source of critical information of some 20+ year old Italian motorcycle.  As long as you know what to order parts for, the "2004" thing is just something to disclose if you ever sell her on.

Seems you are making some excellent progress on your V11 journey! :race::luigi:  :bier:

• Like 4