2003 "Sport Naked" (carry-over) transition model from 2002

docc

2003 Carryover Sport configuration:

2002 "Long Frame" with early "Short Tank" (chin pad/external fuel pump/filter) and white-face Veglia gauges driven by the "angle drives."  Wrinkly, crinkly, fragile black engine/driveline paint. 40mm forks.

No front exhaust crossover pipe or "Long Tank" (internal pump/filter), no "tube driven" black-face ITI/hUR instruments, no 43m forks, no left/right turn indicators without a "battery" light. No tight "satin" black driveline paint. (all common to true&actual 2003 and later V11).

These are purely 2002 specification V11 that were sold as 2003 "transition" models . . .

Moto%252520Guzzi%252520V11%252520Sport%2

gallery_25_1133.jpggallery_25_8379.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• docc changed the title to 2003 "Sport Naked" (carry-over) transition model from 2002

I found the introduction of this "Sport Naked " in the 2001 sales brochure that also introduced the 2002 LeMans (LongFrame/ShortTank):

IMG_8608.jpg

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_8609.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@stewgnu shared this stunning image of his nicely modded Carryover Sport . . .

IMG-0784.JPG

@Guzzimax's Carryover Sport nicely compared to his beautiful silver RedFrame clearly showing the longer frame in front of the short tank:

D923FC4B-7868-4812-BE33-DFC3E9B68604.jpeg

@motortouring's 2002 ("Pre-Carryover?) Sport:

img_1_1666730548249.jpg

@LaGrasta's 2003 Carryover Sport  . . .

IMG_8025.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

For comparison, @Kostarika's fine 2004 Sport. This is the configuration of a "late model" Sport (not a "carry over") . . .

LongFrame; long tank/no chin pad/ internal pump & filter; satin black engine paint/ black face ITI/hUR gauges; 43mm forks; front exhaust crossover pipe:

large.B0A768C2-709A-4634-81C2-BA87C25B51

The question arises, are there 2003 Sport in this, later, configuration? Or are all 2003 Sport in the 2002 "carry over" configuration?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• docc pinned this topic

A review of official sales literature reveals the "2001" brochure that introduced the 2002 Le Mans, referenced above, showing the three Sport (short tank) colors over the braced, black LongFrame referred to as "Sport Naked ."

The 2003 Sales Brochure shows the "Carryover Sport ", and a bright red monochromatic later configuration, called "Naked Sport."

My 2004 Sales Brochure shows the later LongFrame/LongTank configuration with "Naked Sport " badging on the tail fairing (like @Kostarika's  2004 Sport, pictured above).

From the 2003 Sales Brochure:

2003MotoGuzziCatalog_03_zps80fabe66.jpg

The standing question remains: Were all 2003 V11 Sport in the 2002 LongFrame/ShortTank "Carryover"configuration or are there actual 2003 LongFrame/Long Tank Sports?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This guy, :notworthy:   @chamberlin, said it first, " . . . I think it is an important data point for us. I believe it would make the most sense to classify these bikes primarily by major feature set, and secondarily by model year. " :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, docc said:

A review of official sales literature reveals the "2001" brochure that introduced the 2002 Le Mans, referenced above, showing the three Sport (short tank) colors over the braced, black LongFrame referred to as "Sport Naked ."

The 2003 Sales Brochure shows the "Carryover Sport ", and a bright red monochromatic later configuration, called "Naked Sport."

My 2004 Sales Brochure shows the later LongFrame/LongTank configuration with "Naked Sport " badging on the tail fairing (like @Kostarika's  2004 Sport, pictured above).

From the 2003 Sales Brochure:

2003MotoGuzziCatalog_03_zps80fabe66.jpg

The standing question remains: Were all 2003 V11 Sport in the 2002 LongFrame/ShortTank "Carryover"configuration or are there actual 2003 LongFrame/Long Tank Sports?

I would own every version....:P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Are these V11 Sport variants, also truly titled Le Mans?

at this point in "LeMans" evolution I'd say it's just a fairing and a sticker. I see why a Sport is a Sport but I don't understand why the earlier spines, the faired 1100 SportI, Spot, etc were not called LeMans. What were they waiting for, the '02 version? My BMV has no LeMans designation so my LM is titled "Sport"  :huh2:

....and the very early LM's had a quarter fairing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Through the entire V11 range, a "Sport" was delivered with no fairing of any kind and the instruments/headlamp are fork mounted.

Two special exceptions are the 2001 Rosso Mandello (a "special edition Sport" with factory flyscreen/"quarter fairing", still fork mounted) and the 2003-2004 Café Sport that came with handlbars and frame mounted flyscreen/headlamp/instruments (like the Ballabio and Coppa Italia).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Rumor has it @docc is barring all of the Sport owners on the forum for not actually owning a true Le Mans. :P

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

Rumor has it @docc is barring all of the Sport owners on the forum for not actually owning a true Le Mans. :P

Well, we are THE V11 LeMans forum.

RedFrameTrash , like me, are just lucky to have a place to park back in the corner . . .

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

And, now, we have this dedicated, archived topic about the V11 Sport beyond the debut 1999-2001 RedFrame (+ Rosso Mandello) ShortFrame V11.

Once upon a time, I thought the V11 "Sport" ceased to exist after the short frames. Then the "Carryover Sport" showed up. (Thank you, @gstallons!)

Eventually, LongFrame/LongTank  Sport (like @Kostarika's 2004) have been revealed.  Maybe the rarest of the last Generation V11?

A 2003 LongFrame/LongTank Sport in full monochromatic red?

2109747581_95c2d42051.jpg

Sign me up! I'll deal with the sketchy front cross-over pipe later . . .

Screen%20Shot%202022-11-18%20at%207.10.5

(Dang! That says "NAKED" three times!   But are there really any 2003 "late configuration" V11 Sport?

Or are all 2003 "Sport" the 2002 specification ("Carryover"/transition model) ?

• Thanks 1