Avon Tires closing

80CX100

I know that a lot of riders, especially some of the vintage racers with odd sizes,love their Avon tires.

I just learned that they are closing their doors,you may want to snag what you can now and stock up,once they're gone,they're gone.

fyi fwiw

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/.../avon-tyres-closure/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 9 months later...

Given the exponential increase in the price of used motorcycles over the past couple years, I'd expect to see a similar curve in motorcycle tire sales. If Goodyear has them, it means they're staying. Good thing too, if I ever get this Norton finished. Or started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lot of noise in the classic bike world about the loss of Avon. This is great news, especially if we can still get the Roadrider 2.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

I lot of noise in the classic bike world about the loss of Avon. This is great news, especially if we can still get the Roadrider 2.

Agreed. Looks like Roadrider is one of the lines with continued support. I hope they also retain production of some the odd, obsolete sizes.

6 hours ago, swooshdave said:

... especially if we can still get the Roadrider 2.

Are they really good for anything?

I ask as someone who has recently bought a low-mileage Breva 750, i.e. prime marketing target for those tyres.

Reading the blurb for Roadrider, I've always had the impression that they are probably that which I and my friends in Melbourne in the late 80's would have referred to as "Taxi tyres", i.e. tyres which last well but don't offer all too much in the way of grip, handling, or whatever. :huh2:

Well, they fit for sizes that are hard to find otherwise.

I have not found them to be particularly durable or long-lasting. They "stick" and handle decently for what I use them on (Honda GB500). I would rather they lasted better, but never want to give up traction for that (again).

"I had a bad experience ." :unsure:

• Sad 1

Hi docc. I'd be quite interested in the film, but all I see is this:

Video not available
This video contains content from Tele München Fernseh GmbH + Co Produktionsgesellschaft VOD. 
This partner has blocked the video in your country for copyright reasons.

Can you summarise the Video in a small number of very short sentences with mono-syllabic words?

19 minutes ago, docc said:

I would rather they lasted better, but never want to give up traction for that (again).

The sensation of your tire losing grip; I'm sure has converted many from the long mileage into the traction camp.

At this point; If a tire doesn't have a good "gription" reputation,I won't even consider it.

:race:

4 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Hi docc. I'd be quite interested in the film, but all I see is this:

Video not available
This video contains content from Tele München Fernseh GmbH + Co Produktionsgesellschaft VOD. 
This partner has blocked the video in your country for copyright reasons.

Can you summarise the Video in a small number of very short sentences with mono-syllabic words?

"I had a bad experience ." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

"I had a bad experience ." 

I shared a house in Melbourne with a couple of mates of mine for the last several years before I moved to Germany. It was something of a meeting point for motorcycling friends, and perhaps a bane for some neighbours. B)

One of the blokes who lived there had a Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans III, a Honda CBX 1000, a Yamaha XT 500 (awful...), and a Honda NS400 R.

At the time, the Motorcycle Rider's Association https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_Riders_Association_of_Australia was really on a roll, and they organised track days at Calder Raceway a couple of years in a row. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Park_Raceway (On the flat bit, not on the banked "thunderdome" bit.)

So, my mate let me ride his NS 400 R whilst he had a go on my 1976 Z 900. My mate was not the fastest in the bunch, and I was reeling him in. At the end of the long straight I could see him ahead of me in the 180° turn, and thought "I'll get him on this lap".

The next thought was "oh dear, I know that noise" (of fairings and such scraping across the asphalt...).

The culprit was the Avon tyre that my mate had fitted to the front wheel of his (according to the standards of the time) super-sport bike. The tyre was a middle price, long-lasting touring  tyre, and not up to race-track shenanigens. To give my mate credit, there was not much choice available at the time for the 16" front wheel of the NS, but the Avon was definitely not a good choice.

So, I've had a bad experience too. B)

On the positive side, I've got Avon Spirit ST on the Kawasaki 1000 GTR, and those tyres on that bike are a really good choice. :)

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 4:40 PM, audiomick said:

Are they really good for anything?

I ask as someone who has recently bought a low-mileage Breva 750, i.e. prime marketing target for those tyres.

Reading the blurb for Roadrider, I've always had the impression that they are probably that which I and my friends in Melbourne in the late 80's would have referred to as "Taxi tyres", i.e. tyres which last well but don't offer all too much in the way of grip, handling, or whatever. :huh2:

Well, from the last show I went to these were some of the bikes sporting the Avon Roadriders. So, yes, they aren't the highest performance tires but for a lot of bikes they don't need to be.

ZR1T5bU.jpg

3tlXLFU.jpgNKHO0lB.jpg

BlpR0sF.jpgBLhZ9UI.jpgnzeMmkI.jpg7OZ0sTj.jpg

• Thanks 3