Recharging Problem

Amarrache

Howdy folks,

Haven't been on the forums for a long time after my V11 was totaled.  But since then I was able to pick up a 2000 V11 Sport (it's a greenie) and have enjoyed it for some time now. Totally forgot about the forums here and was reminded about them by a fellow Guzzi rider when we were discussing the issue I am now experiencing.

A couple weekends ago when riding the battery warning light came on. When I got home I thought to check the charging system. Sure enough when revving the bike I was not getting much past 12V (the battery is only a couple months from new). Searching the web I found the likely cause was the regulator/rectifier. I purchased a new EnDuraLast unit from https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/. Swapped the old with the new. Turn on the bike and the battery warning light no longer stays on. Great. Problem solved, I think. But, checking with the multimeter I am still not getting much past 12V.

Notes: Multimeter is not the problem. I have a couple other bikes and the meter is showing 14V+ when revving. I went back and checked all the connections, and they are firm. I did remember to attach to two ground wires that screw on to the regulator/rectifier mounting holes that attach it to the bike. And the battery is new.

Advice would be appreciated.

Possibly a problem with the alternator. Stator may be getting ready to let go or the rotor magnet is weak. Also look for any burning or corrosion at alternator to regulator connector. 

Check the resistance across all of the wires with respect to each other at the connector from the alternator. It should be nearly the same.

An additional test is to check the AC voltage at each wire with respect to ground when the bike is running. It should be similar for each. I'm not sure what the actual voltage number is on our alternators but Docc probably knows.

• Like 3

Hi Amarrache,

Maybe something in the thread below will help.

Art

• Like 2

Hey guys. Thank you!

I was the 30amp fuse. Though there we no visible signs that it had burnt out, I removed the old one, used WD40 connector cleaner and a toothbrush, put in the new fuse and voila - revving I get over 14v. Thinking the issue was maybe just a dirty connector, I put the old fuse back in and only got just above 12v. So looks like it definitely was the fuse.

• Like 9

I worked on a Ford P-up for hours after pulling the fuse , holding it up to the light and it looked PERFECT . Pushed it back into the fuse panel and wasted the afternoon searching for the problem .  Came back w/a test light to find out I had no power on the other side of the fuse . Installed a new fuse and problem was cured.  

There are fuses w/LEDs to indicate a blown fuse . Get them ! They are lifesavers . Just remove the fuse cover and look for a light .  When you are looking at a fuse panel w/30 fuses , it narrows things down fast .

• Like 6

18 hours ago, gstallons said:

I worked on a Ford P-up for hours after pulling the fuse , holding it up to the light and it looked PERFECT . Pushed it back into the fuse panel and wasted the afternoon searching for the problem .  Came back w/a test light to find out I had no power on the other side of the fuse . Installed a new fuse and problem was cured.  

There are fuses w/LEDs to indicate a blown fuse . Get them ! They are lifesavers . Just remove the fuse cover and look for a light .  When you are looking at a fuse panel w/30 fuses , it narrows things down fast .

Very cool. Had no idea about these with LEDs. Found some online. Much appreciated.