Happy Ending with Only Leathers and a Boot Full of Gas

Tom in Virginia

So I did my fall PMs, fluid changes/valve adjustments/rebalancing TBs and the sort on the red '03 LM.  Had a nice warm sunny day so looked to take advantage and get a ride in before the weather changed.  Got about 3-4 miles down the road when the motor started sputtering.  In moderate traffic so I'm looking for a real quick bail out place while jabb-ing at the throttle open to try to keep the motor running.  Tap the rear brake once or twice to slow down, super squishy flat-tire feeling.  Golly, I'm now thinking "how in the world can 2 separate problems crop up at once!"  Make it into a church parking lot, throw down the side stand and look down to find gas running from under the tank, down the side of tranny/motor, dripping off the "Y" exhaust pipe, soaking right leg of leathers and into the inside of my right boot.  Also see a standing puddle of gas on the ground below where I sit.  Now I'm "FREAKING OUT!!!" (as my 5 y/o old granddaughter says).  I quickly hop off, roll it forward away from the puddle, grab the tank bag off in case the whole bike goes up in flames.  Grab my phone out of tank bag and start to call 911 as I was sure the exhaust would light it off.  I give it about 10-15 seconds and .... no ignition/no flames.  WHEW, breathing a BIG sigh of relief.  Dial up my son to come bail me out with the truck and motorcycle trailer. (My son said he's seen a couple of wrecks at the track due to fuel leaks getting on the rear tire).

Back at home, tank off, bike up on the rack, I find that somehow the inner QD at the tank elbow nipple had come disconnected.  A few strong arm efforts at reconnection (without stressing the plastic tank elbow too much) I am unable to get it to lock back in.  I surmise that my QD rebuilding effort about 6-7 years ago I likely used the wrong material O-rings, resulting in them becoming swollen up and prevent the QD from seating.  At least this is my preliminary hypothesis.

Have given it a good effort cleaning the boots and leathers, looks like only time will tell if they survive the dousing.  Just very grateful that my bike (and me) didn't go up in smoke.  I would have been a not-so comical sight on the roadside, hot footing it with my right boot and right leg on fire, as well as my beloved LeMans, heavily involved in a serious gasoline fire.

Lesson learned.  New connectors (both sides, tank and fuel line) on order from MG Cycle.  From now on, when it comes to fuel repairs, there will be no cutting corners here in this Virgina garage. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Hot damn! It must have been quite a commotion when you realized what was going on. Finding yourself and your hot bike doused in gasoline must be quite unnerving... glad to hear disaster was avoided! Damage to your leathers is only an inconvenience.

• Like 1

Lucky day.

Use Murphy's Oil Soap on the leather (or fabric) to take the gas out. May take a couple tries but it will eventually work. Then apply Mink Oil to seal the leather and any residual smell.

• Like 3

Thanks for input.  Cleaned both right away, seems to have taken care of the worst of it.  Boots were almost new, my hope is riding time will solve most of the residual gasoline smell issues on right boot.  Leather pants were immediately cleaned but are due for a good mink oil treatment anyways.

Here's a pic of repair parts, available from MG Cycle (for future reference/if anyone needs updated fittings for '03 V11 models and later):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HXSPGXpii8d1679y9

Grand total was $81.33 delivered to door.  

Part # 01106692 fuel pump connector (white elbow)

Part # MG410 Fuel pump elbow hose connection spigot for internal fuel pump models

(Sorry Docc for always using a google link for photos.  Know that's extra work for you in everyone of my photo posts)

:bike: :mg:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Expand Photo" looks pretty strange on my mobile device.

Remember, if you "Copy Image" the image is added to your Attachments.

"Copy Image Link" hosts the image at the linked site. Not all sites allow this. 

Be aware that if the actual hose fitting that is broken, (The usual way is the little hooky-toothy bits on the *Ring* break off) you can pick apart the broken parts and new parts on the hose fitting and replace the broken bits, including the all important o-ring, with the new parts without disturbing the stupid shrink-fitted hose, (If indeed your bike has the shrink-fitted hose? All the CARC bikes do.). We do this all the time when frustrated owners have bust their fittings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't there some in metal available, was it a beemer part ? Will look some more.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, Tom in Virginia said:

Ha, now I'm thoroughly confused!  :huh:  Are Google Photo images not viewable by Apple hardware?

They are viewable by opening the link, but to get the image to display in your post takes a "Copy&Paste" of some sort.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, footgoose said:

I tried the copy link and it just copied the link:(

what is meant by 'added to attachments'

When the image opens on another site (like Google Photos), clicking "Copy" will paste the image into your post, but add it to your (limited allowable amount of  "Attachments"). To see what you have already added to your attachments, click on your username and select "Attachments."

If you click on the image in Google Photos, it reopens in a new widow. "Right click" that image to drop down a new menu and select "Copy Image Link" (not just "Copy Link"). Pasting Copy Image Link "hot links" the display to the host site. Some sites block this and only a link (no image) will display.

This is what @Tom in Virginia's image displays using Copy Image Link:

AL9nZEX3QVk93W5Uv9aRyoLbVznESpDsWYeFwkBB

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I gave up trying to link to Google Photos. Seems only half can see them from my files, so I upload them to imgbb.com and link from there. 

I'm going to get an "OJT" training session from my son at Xmas so that I can post photos the proper way and avoid further churn for docc and other MAC/Apple users.  (Forgive my un-adaptability, I'm from the "old" generation and still file paperwork in a steel file cabinet!)

Edited by Tom in Virginia
correct acronym OJT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1