The work begins...

activpop

12 hours ago, activpop said:

There is a story to this bike and i wont get the straight story from the seller, that's  for sure. He bought it 4/08, per bill of sale, and the title is dated 3/09, but the title is still in the original sellers name.

It sounds like the seller "may" be what we refer to up here as a curbsider.

Guys that make a little bit of money on the side flipping vehicles on the side, but never registering themselves as a business.

They usually have to pay tax if they transfer the title into their name,so to keep their profits higher,they like to leave the title in the name of the person they got it from.

It may take a little work to figure out exactly what you bought,but it sounds like you got a smoking bargain on it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, activpop said:

There is a story to this bike and i wont get the straight story from the seller, that's  for sure. He bought it 4/08, per bill of sale, and the title is dated 3/09, but the title is still in the original sellers name. The mileage typed in on the front of the title says 9843, but written in on the back where it when it was transferred is 11,283. Registration expired in 2015, so how did my seller register it without a title in his name? I dont have a clue. 

And even more bewildering is the title says 2004 bike, but both VIN and you guys say it is a 2001, which I agree with. How did that happen? Don't have a clue. Front tire is from 2004 so that is maybe just a coincidence, with the milage on this bike idk if it was changed after just three years of minimal riding, but could have been a road hazard. DMV says I am good to go with my bill of sale which I have. They will retitle and register it for me with normal fees. I will ask them about the year though.

A lot of questions about this thing but it sure is pretty. Hopefully getting it for $2700 will soften the pain of any surprises.

I trust you physically verified the frame VIN with the title VIN? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, Pressureangle said:

I trust you physically verified the frame VIN with the title VIN? 

Yep, exact match. Date on headstock is 6/2000. So model year could be 2001, but no later. I wonder if it is really a 2000.

[ Haha, well: successful "strike my last sentence" edit! I'm giving myself a raise! :drink:]

3 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

It sounds like the seller "may" be what we refer to up here as a curbsider.

Guys that make a little bit of money on the side flipping vehicles on the side, but never registering themselves as a business.

They usually have to pay tax if they transfer the title into their name,so to keep their profits higher,they like to leave the title in the name of the person they got it from.

It may take a little work to figure out exactly what you bought,but it sounds like you got a smoking bargain on it

Dont think he is like that, not with the business he is in...but still a lot to untangle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, activpop said:

Yep, exact match. Date on headstock is 6/2000. So model year could be 2001, but no later. I wonder if it is really a 2000.

My bike is tagged 6/2000 and it's a 2001 model year. 

• Like 1

With automobiles , about August the next model year is being produced. When you start buying parts you need the VIN to get the right parts .Most parts places will take your license plate info and produce your vehicle's VIN . 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, activpop said:

Tenth digit in the VIN: Y= 2000; 1 = 2001

Identical parts/ wiring/ etc 1999 - 2001.

3 hours ago, docc said:

Tenth digit in the VIN: Y= 2000; 1 = 2001

Identical parts/ wiring/ etc 1999 - 2001.

Srike my last sentance from the record. As I previously noted, the 10th digit is a 1, and we all agree on the year. I might find out Monday at DMV why the title was printed 2004. They know what the 10th digit means... one would think... and they issued the title.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, activpop said:

Srike my last sentance from the record. As I previously noted, the 10th digit is a 1, and we all agree on the year. I might find out Monday at DMV why the title was printed 2004. They know what the 10th digit means... one would think... and they issued the title.

[ Haha, well: successful "strike my last sentence" edit! I'm giving myself a raise! :drink:]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, activpop said:

Also got the order in from Stein Dinse for the Becker Technik stand. This seems like the best way for a rear tire change.

I use it for the front tire and fork work too. It holds the bike upright from the rear and while using ratchet straps from handlebars to rafters, I use a padded floor or scissors  jack under the front of the sump. It seems sketchy at first but with tight "splayed" straps I feel safe with it.

Don't know what a new Becker Technik comes with but I use an 18" -  half inch drive breaker bar in the jack arm. From the side stand I can hold the handlebars with both hands and operate the jack with my foot. It's an awkward dance till you sort it out. If you chock the front tire first there's no balance problems at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

I use it for the front tire and fork work too. It holds the bike upright from the rear and while using ratchet straps from handlebars to rafters, I use a padded floor or scissors  jack under the front of the sump. It seems sketchy at first but with tight "splayed" straps I feel safe with it.

Don't know what a new Becker Technik comes with but I use an 18" -  half inch drive breaker bar in the jack arm. From the side stand I can hold the handlebars with both hands and operate the jack with my foot. It's an awkward dance till you sort it out. If you chock the front tire first there's no balance problems at all.

I'll probably do my version of that. I have a length of 1" braided nylon line that I loop around the fork head tree on my Ducati and attach it to a come along attached to barn truss.  When the bike is on the center stand I can pull the front end up for a tire change. No center stand on the V11, but the BT will do the job of that. I have Pit Bull stands,  but it's nicer working with nothing in your way. 

• Like 2