The work begins...

activpop

And now for something completely different...I did my first V11 oil change...nice ritual doing the filter. Also drained all the fuel and put in a couple gallons non E.  Who knew how long those fluids have been sitting in there with the bike last registered in 2015. 

Google is my friend. With no manuals yet I questioned how to check oil level on this bike with no center stand. Many old posts from this site popped up. Got it dialed in  because of all the info here.  Can't wait to tackle the driveline zerks.  😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@activpop I just tried yesterday, again, on my black frame. Two Zerks are doable, but there is no practical way for the third. Don't even try unless you remove the rear wheel. Once removed, you can do additional shaft maintenance.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, activpop said:

Red...guess I'll find out why.

I tell you what, if anyone can finally figure out exactly WHY the ShortFrame front Zerk is so impossible (compared to the LongFrame), that is worth ten points and the championship . . .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, docc said:

I tell you what, if anyone can finally figure out exactly WHY the ShortFrame front Zerk is so impossible (compared to the LongFrame), that is worth ten points and the championship . . .

The red paint is thicker. That decreases the clearance. Also, the front zerk has a special antigravity coating that repels the grease gun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Lagrasta, When I change the tire I'll be doing everything I can on the rear before installing wheel again. I'll get grease in there one way or another...I hope! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, activpop said:

Lagrasta, When I change the tire I'll be doing everything I can on the rear before installing wheel again. I'll get grease in there one way or another...I hope! 

I use this tip with the wheel off and swingarm dangling. Done it a few times. Have to attack it straight on, the point will open the zerk and settle in pretty well with consistent pressure to take grease. Some does escape around the edges but mostly goes in.

IMG_1042.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zerk story :rasta:.  2 black frames quite doable. 2001 red frame, wheel of and very helpful with another pair of hands working the grease gun. Messy and lots of cleaning after the right sound. 1999 red frame,  hmm, why shoud this one be worse ? Dropped swing arm to the lowest possible, after taking rear drive of and drive shaft  apart. U-joint bolts out (new T bolts was to be installed anyway) to get the drive shaft backwards. And yes, the right sound. Woud have been quicker taking the s arm of. Not that long since the s arm had been powdercoated, so figured bearings were good. Figure out.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 11:57 AM, activpop said:

Also got the order in from Stein Dinse for the Becker Technik stand. This seems like the best way for a rear tire change.

I tracked the order when I knew it should have been here by now. Seems it was delivered to somewhere in Sherwood, Delaware, not Oregon. Was sent back to Germany. Can't figure that one out since the Zip should be the big clue on where to point the nose. I have an email sent to Stein Dinse so I should hear back Monday. Oh well, wasn't going to get to rear tire replacement until after Christmas anyway.

Bummer! I trust it will get resolved quickly, you can count on the germans for their efficiency...

I had to resort to SD customer service once as they sent the wrong part and they were very responsive, covering the return shipping fee and sending the new part right away.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:29 AM, Speedfrog said:

...you can count on the germans for their efficiency...

Having lived here since the start of '96, I have to say "mostly". You really don't want to get caught up in the burocracy here. ;)

But SD is pretty good, though. I've bought stuff there a couple of times, and it always turned up promptly and was all correct. :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been so busy with some travel, family stuff and holidays that not much work done. Finally got my BT stand from BD after ping ponging across the Atlantic 3x. Came with instructions only in German...i asked them for English translation and they told me to contact BT. Seems like you would want them to provide proper instructions for something holding up over 400 lbs. In the meantime I found a used pair of pit bull stands for a great price so the bike is lifted now with both wheels off.  Have new Angel GT's ready to go on wheels today. Got the bead breaker wheel stand from HF, worth every penny. Will do driveline service while wheels are off and new brake pads and caliper service. Still looking for a used HF cycle lift. Just missed out on a almost new used one for $450. Have to be quick with them, they go fast on CL. There will be others, just have to be the early bird. 

• Like 4

Follow up on those stand instructions...emailed Becker Tecknik over the weekend asking for English instructions for the stand. A reply was sent to me with full English instructions at 6:44AM Monday German time. How is that for a quick reply? Sort of ticks me off that I had to do this...if it was that easy for me, it seems like Stein Dinse should have prepared better for their American customers...that's my gripe for the week.