drive line lube

red lion

Rear wheel off and trying to lube the rear fitting on the drive line. With the grease gun on and pumping there is no grease coming out of the joint. I don't think any grease is going in. also it's very hard to remove the gun from the fitting. Do I need to replace the nipple on the drive line?

3 minutes ago, red lion said:

Are there pictures of the three lube points?

So, one U-joint Zerk at the back of the driveshaft.  Another "Zerk" /grease fitting at the junction of the front and back "halves" of the driveshaft.

Then the nefarious "front UNI" that has proved so impossible to grease on the early V11 RedFrames . . . :blink:

1 hour ago, red lion said:

Rear wheel off and trying to lube the rear fitting on the drive line. With the grease gun on and pumping there is no grease coming out of the joint. I don't think any grease is going in. also it's very hard to remove the gun from the fitting. Do I need to replace the nipple on the drive line?

I heard gstallons say to never pump a Zerk before cleaning it to avoid pushing grit and contaminants into the grease fitting.

Do the zerk fittings need to be replaced  some times? I don't think any grease is getting in? { zerk at back of driveline} I should see grease coming out, But I don't.

@redlion No need to replace the Zerk, the grease gun has enough pressure to push through any hardened grease. 

As for not seeing any coming out while pumping, I suspect your grease tube is empty. When I greased these, I merely pumped three times each. I could barely see the nipple, let alone any extra grease being pushed out. Don't over think this (as I so often do about everything).

It never ceases to amaze me how often my grease gun ends up empty. And since it has decent heft, it doesn't FEEL empty. So I tend to assume something else is wrong when it turns out I just need a new tube of grease.

That said, I have seen a zerk seize so that it won't allow grease in. As others have said, always clean a zerk before trying to pump grease into it. And in some cases you might need to push on the little ball in the middle to get it to pop in. If it won't pop in, it won't allow grease in and may need to be replaced.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, red lion said:

Grease gun is new with new tube of Wurth Sig 3000. I will check for ball movement in zerk fitting.

That sounds like good method, regardless. My last shot at greasing that %#@$& front UNI only served to waterproof the general area . . . :glare:

• Haha 5

So are the three lube points the front and rear zerk fittings and the splines where the rear wheel mates with the rear end?

14 minutes ago, red lion said:

So are the three lube points the front and rear zerk fittings and the splines where the rear wheel mates with the rear end?

There should be a Zerk where the two parts of the driveshaft slide together.

16 hours ago, red lion said:

Do the zerk fittings need to be replaced  some times? I don't think any grease is getting in? { zerk at back of driveline} I should see grease coming out, But I don't.

The shaft on my '97 is different from the later 6- speed shafts, but I think the universals are the same; the zerks *are not* replaceable. I made the mistake of tossing one of mine with the old joint, to discover that they are a very low-profile zerk and it took me literally weeks and about 6 bags of ebay metric zerks to find one that fit in the joint and cleared everything in use. You can't buy the joint separately from MG, and certainly you can't buy just the zerk from them. A conscientious cleaning on the bench is your only real option if you can't get it working in situ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3