drive line lube

red lion

3 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

The shaft on my '97 is different from the later 6- speed shafts, but I think the universals are the same; the zerks *are not* replaceable. I made the mistake of tossing one of mine with the old joint, to discover that they are a very low-profile zerk and it took me literally weeks and about 6 bags of ebay metric zerks to find one that fit in the joint and cleared everything in use. You can't buy the joint separately from MG, and certainly you can't buy just the zerk from them. A conscientious cleaning on the bench is your only real option if you can't get it working in situ.

Here is @Pressureangle's ebay link he posted for the special Zerks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-Metric-Grease-Fitting-M8-M8X1-M8X1-0-Zerk-Nipple-45-Degree-Deg-L-CA/201786925134?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And his thread/post on the U-joints and Zerks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

The shaft on my '97 is different from the later 6- speed shafts, but I think the universals are the same; the zerks *are not* replaceable. I made the mistake of tossing one of mine with the old joint, to discover that they are a very low-profile zerk and it took me literally weeks and about 6 bags of ebay metric zerks to find one that fit in the joint and cleared everything in use. You can't buy the joint separately from MG, and certainly you can't buy just the zerk from them. A conscientious cleaning on the bench is your only real option if you can't get it working in situ.

Not sure if they come in the right size, but another option might be a needle zerk fitting. They need a different grease gun nozzle, but are inherently low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-5-Piece/dp/B07B8WM3QZ  I don't do Amazon, but this link is primarily so others will understand what I am talking about.

Again, I don't know if they come in the required size, but if they do a needle fitting could actually work better in this application.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Not sure if they come in the right size, but another option might be a needle zerk fitting. They need a different grease gun nozzle, but are inherently low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-5-Piece/dp/B07B8WM3QZ  I don't do Amazon, but this link is primarily so others will understand what I am talking about.

Again, I don't know if they come in the required size, but if they do a needle fitting could actually work better in this application.

On mine it's only possible to grease the front joint in place when a beer bet is involved. It's far more economical to remove the wheel and separate the shaft, which also facilitates better spline lube. However, a needle fitting couldn't be worse to access in place, and quite easy with the wheel out. The benefit aside from assured clearance, may be in the balance if one believes it's balanced adequately at all. I have always had some concern about throwing a zerk at 10k rpms. The pinholes are tighter and lighter. It hasn't mattered so far, but should I need to replace a zerk that's certainly what I'll use.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, red lion said:

Are the zerk fittings from the ebay link the correct replacement for the driveline?

I have successfully fitted one of these 45º low profile Zerks to one of our U-joints (mine went missing):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-Metric-Grease-Fitting-M8-M8X1-M8X1-0-Zerk-Nipple-45-Degree-Deg-L-CA/201786925134?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Zerk for where the shaft parts join is nothing special (angled or low profile) and is mounted to the rear yoke collar. (Visible off the left side of the rear driveshaft part standing vertical in this image):

IMG_6213.jpg

Shaft splines Zerk also visible below (this is the third driveshaft grease point in addition to the two U-joint Zerks. Too much grease in the shaft connection can obstruct it's movement.) . . .

IMG_6181.jpg

Note that each U-joint of the V11, front and rear, gets the special 45º low profile Zerk fitted to the center of the U-joint body (shown filled with a black moly grease here):

IMG_6315.jpg

An image of the 45º Zerk in the rear U-joit:

IMG_6220.jpg

• Thanks 1

I jacked the bike up, dropping, and raising the rear wheel. I even tried removing the shroud, nope. I GIVE UP. I'll wait until my near new tire wears out, then I'll remove the shaft for proper maintenance. Appreciate your post @docc, this will be a great reference should I plan to swap out the joints at that time as well.

Until then, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I jacked the bike up, dropping, and raising the rear wheel. I even tried removing the shroud, nope. I GIVE UP. I'll wait until my near new tire wears out, then I'll remove the shaft for proper maintenance. Appreciate your post @docc, this will be a great reference should I plan to swap out the joints at that time as well.

Until then, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Figured I'd give you the good news first . . .                                                                                                                                            :glare:

IMG_3094.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3