how much engine mileage/life can a well taken care of V11 have?

fastaussie

i'm considering a 2003 V11 with 40k original miles on the clock.  as advertised, it's had two older gentleman as owners and a fairly religious service record, with receipts to prove it.

what do you guys reckon?  is it good for many more years of leisurely motoring, or is it likely to blow up next week?

The engine is the least of your worries. There are plenty of 'Weak Points' in a V11 but the majority of them are the result of ignorance and abuse. 40K on a 2V pushrod Guzzi engine, if it has been serviced and tuned regularly and correctly, is nothing.

If, on the other hand, it has been *Worked*, *Hotted up* or been *Improved* by an idiot? All bets are off.

If the advert contains words like 'K&N air filter', 'Power Commander', 'Dyno-Tune' or 'Performance'. Especially in So Cal? I'd tread carefully and carry a very big stick........

• Like 2

If I were looking at a 2003 V11 (Sport? LeMans? Ballabio?), I would want to sure if it is a true 2003 or a "Carryover" of the 2002 configuration:

That you say there are service records/ receipts is encouraging. V11 that have belonged to members of V11LeMans.com tend to have the known issues seen to.

As for the motor, " . . . the least of your worries ", as Pete has said.

13 minutes ago, mikev said:

mine came with one of these ... prior owner seems very proud of it.  

My wife's V11 still has one, has had it for years and many miles. No issues. Some people seem to be able to make a Power Commander work, others can't.

But nowadays there are better ways to play with the tuning of a V11. Back then when we bought it there weren't. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, pete roper said:

The engine is the least of your worries. There are plenty of 'Weak Points' in a V11 but the majority of them are the result of ignorance and abuse. 40K on a 2V pushrod Guzzi engine, if it has been serviced and tuned regularly and correctly, is nothing.

If, on the other hand, it has been *Worked*, *Hotted up* or been *Improved* by an idiot? All bets are off.

If the advert contains words like 'K&N air filter', 'Power Commander', 'Dyno-Tune' or 'Performance'. Especially in So Cal? I'd tread carefully and carry a very big stick........

bone stock.  stock exhaust and even has the OEM reflectors on the front fender...

12 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

hmmn, too bad it's been dropped so many times... :(

Yeah, wouldn't worry about the mileage for the motor. Mine has 69000kms and runs amazingly and uses no oil. Gearbox is real nice. The clutch is the thing I am dreading. It's quite loud but who knows how long it should last. It is the job I know I will need to do one day.

Overall the bike is easy to maintain and relatively simple maintenance. My three PIA jobs would be bleeding the clutch due to slave location, greasing the front nipple on the drive shaft and the future clutch job.......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NicoNZ said:

Yeah, wouldn't worry about the mileage for the motor. Mine has 69000kms and runs amazingly and uses no oil. Gearbox is real nice. The clutch is the thing I am dreading. It's quite loud but who knows how long it should last. It is the job I know I will need to do one day.

Overall the bike is easy to maintain and relatively simple maintenance. My three PIA jobs would be bleeding the clutch due to slave location, greasing the front nipple on the drive shaft and the future clutch job.......

I thought those were all the same job! :huh:

IMG_2583.JPG.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, pete roper said:

There are plenty of 'Weak Points' in a V11 but the majority of them are the result of ignorance and abuse.

This pricked my ears!

Is there a checklist of ‘Weak Points’ already?

I’d run a ruler over mine…

• Like 1