Hazy headlamp

Pressureangle

So the 'Sport has a square glass headlamp, H4 and apparently singular to the North American 'Sport. Mine was getting hazy with age, so while the bike was apart I took the opportunity to investigate. I was surprised to find the lens to be glass not plastic, so I carefully applied some chemicals, starting with water. To make the long story short, I got a little out of hand, and having a spare I decided to try a capful of Ospho. Not much, and there was still drops of water from previous rinsing. It didn't clear it, but it seemed better and I dried it in the sun and breeze (was 80ºF here lol). Today I installed it and put the body on, and it's clearly clearer. Now I'm a bit remiss that I wasn't braver with the quantity and time stewing with the Ospho. I don't know what the haze is, but it didn't respond to water, dishsoap, electronics cleaner, or carburetor cleaner. I was afraid to use much aggressive hydrocarbon lest I ruin the plastic bits in the bulb housing, but whatever it is appears to be sensitive to acids. Meh. So if anyone else is wont to try such an adventure, it's good winter squawk.

• Like 1

What OSPHO says it is:

OSPHO is a balanced formula of Phosphoric acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and Extenders.                                                                                                   

1 hour ago, docc said:

What OSPHO says it is:

OSPHO is a balanced formula of Phosphoric acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and Extenders.                                                                                                   

I could not find the pH (acidity) . . .